Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Citron, Veillette -- good times!

_Sweet Willie_

So, yesterday my wife and I went up to Ulster County NY to visit with some friends. One of the activities was for us to go chill over at the Ulster Co. Arts and Crafts Fair. Now, typically I'm not always down for this kind of event, but the kids were w/ the grandparents so I figured I'd be able to handle it okay.

Well, I walk about 50 yards into the fairgrounds, and what do I see?! A music tent! And who should be represented? Citron Guitars and Veillette Guitars!

Now, I've read about Veillette-Citron, Citron, and Veillette. I've heard nice things about their basses and read positive reviews in BP mag. This was my first chance to actually try their instruments. They actually had, in each of their respective booths, some of the exact instruments that were reviewed in BP mag.

First of all, both Harvey Citron and Joe Veillette are really nice guys. Second, they make some great basses. I played a fretted singlecut and fretless 5er from Veillette. Both excellent. Fretless sang nicely with some tapewound strings. I played three different Citron axes. The CB5 reviewed in BP with a totally sick B-string and two acoustic-electric 5 strings, one with the Lightwave system and one prototype Steve Swallow model with an enlarged body.

Okay, I have found my next bass. I fell in love with the Steve Swallow model from Citron. What full, glowing tone! What great feel. I think these are 36" scale -- and I didn't notice. This prototype had an issue with feedback on the 10th fret G-string F, but otherwise was awesome. The smaller bodied Steve Swallow model (the original design) apparently doesn't have this problem.

My trip to the fair was really enriched by the presence of these two builders and an array of their instruments. Typically they do not do these shows, so this was a somewhat unexpected and unusual circumstance. Lucky me. :)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max, I do not even know how to begin to explain why or how that Citron SS model really is such a special instrument. I've sampled a lot of basses, and this one is something special. It is a remarkable instrument.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I remember when Joe and Harvey first moved up to the Hudson Valley from New York back in 1980 or '81 -- I grew up in the area and was attending Ulster County Community College at the time.

They set up shop on the fourth floor of this old dress factory off of Broadway in Kingston. Super nice guys, who do very reasonably priced mods on our Fenders and Gibsons. In fact, they made the brass nut on my '76 J-bass.

Of course, we would always drool over the gorgeous guitars and basses they were making. A buddy of mine eventually saved up and bought one -- a Shark guitar, I believe.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived