Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ABG deal

Phil W

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine should arrive next week.

Phil I might ask you to get some strings for me from the US. is that ok?

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

It will be a set of strings for my new acoustic (the strings in england would cost as much as the bass alone :) )

When are you flying?

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I look forward to get my hands on it Phil, is taking ages to get delivered.

No David,

They tend to come with phosphor bronze strings for that acoustic guitar type sound but I haven't got into the string noise that they create. Being such a dyed in the wool roundwound man on fretless I thought I'd try some flats on it for a change.

No store here seems to stock TIs so I'll but online. Hopefully before a gig on the ABG in Camden later this month.

What ABG are you getting, David?

Just the best thing since sliced bread. Well I possibly exaggerate a bit. Actually they do flats, which are possibly the best flats around, depending on whether you drink Carlsberg or not, and Acousticores, which I have on my Godin. Phil, you tried these when I brought the Godin to your house. As Acousticores are more like rounds naturally I prefer them.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I did like the strings on your Godin. Are they as kind to the board as the ABG has Rosewood which is hard, but not ebony?

I was thinking of getting these:

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductId=624

They are TI jazz flats, right? Where so you get your strings from Davo?

• 3 months later...
No David,

They tend to come with phosphor bronze strings for that acoustic guitar type sound but I haven't got into the string noise that they create. Being such a dyed in the wool roundwound man on fretless I thought I'd try some flats on it for a change.

*bump*

Actually, Phosphor Bronzes tend to die pretty quickly. After about a week of regular playing they start to become just... strings.

If anyone's looking a this thread, I don't know that the PB strings would be worth changing because, eventually, they might well morph into something you can live with.

Last night i got home and I had my new Flatwounds TI's to try on, i'm just waiting to get the new machine heads i've ordered and the rubber feedback buster which all should arrive today.

I'll let you guys know how did I get on with the strings, as per Phil's review they should be awsome

Yes, I never gave the PBs a chance. But the TIs are so fine that I'm glad I tried them.

Let us know how you get on with the rubber feedback buster, from what I've heard they don't work too well on the feedback frequencies specific to bass. From my experience; at low volumes judicious turning/positioning works fine.

Ok Phil will do

Machine heads just arrived and they look neat will install them tonight and try the flats.

I've only heard the feedback at a reharsal need to take the bass there again to see how it works

On the topic of phosphor bronze strings... the issue I have with them is that they get feeling a bit funky due to the fairly humid environment we have here in Houston.

I don't really play my ABG or Warwick much these days. The Warwick has DR coated strings on it and feels/sounds the same whenever I pick it up. The pb strings on the ABG are a different story though. They actually get rough, like they are rusting, and the color changes with time. I'm probably going to swap them out for tapewounds and be done with it.

Last night Ive installed the machine heads, congrats to me, I havent really changed nothing on a bass other than strings so Im on the right way, maybe one day I will be able to change pick ups and sand a neck, or maybe not and I just pay for it. 

First thing that I noticed with the TIs is that they have odd measures, 106,70,56,43. Im used to 100 80 60 45, or 100 75 55 40, the difference between the E and the A is noticeable thicknesswise. Soundwise I have a whole new bass, it doesnt sound anything like it used to, and Ive only played for some brief minutes, the lows are fat and the highs are clear I really enjoy the smoothness on the touch and slides are no longer a problem.

Is there a way to lower the action on the ABG, I wish I could go a tad lower.

You got the normal scale ones phil, I got the short scale

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2370-thomastik_jf324_jazz_short_scale_bass_43_106

The only adjustable bit on my ABG is the trussrod, and the neck seems straight.

Now that's interesting. I wonder what's better, long scale or short scale? ;):evil:

I think you'll get used to the gauge difference in time though it seems extreme.

I'm having a slight issue with palm muting. I palm mute about half the time on electric basses. There's just one song in the acoustic set I do where I really want the sound of palm muting but the volume seems to dip way to far when I do it on ABG. I'm just going to have to experiment with palm placement and pressure or maybe try a piece of foam.

Is there a way to lower the action on the ABG, I wish I could go a tad lower.

Of course. Some basses have a shim (ie a piece of plastic) under the bridge which you can easily remove and lower the action a bit.

Otherwise, you can always pull out the saddle and sand it down, starting from the bottom.

Archived