Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do I need a stepdown transformer if XS7 is from Japan?

jazzfish

Hi, I'm using a stepdown transformer for XS7 bought from Japan (to convert 220v o output of 100v)

Works fine.

This is cos I assumed equipment from Japan runs on 100V. I'm in Singapore (220V)

I'm just wondering if I actually NEED the transformer cos I just noticed at the backplate it states '100V-240V 50/60mhz'

ALTHOUGH, at the center portion of the back , it also indicates... (for japan 100v 50mhz, for korea 220v 60mhz for china 220v 50mhz) Why? i wonder. for reference perhaps.

What does it say (if anything) at the CENTRE of the back of yr XS?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in Singapore (220V)

I'm just wondering if I actually NEED the transformer cos I just noticed at the backplate it states '100V-240V 50/60mhz'

ALTHOUGH, at the center portion of the back , it also indicates... (for japan 100v 50mhz, for korea 220v 60mhz for china 220v 50mhz)

You've established that your voltage is indeed 220V in Singapore. What is the frequency; 50Hz or 60Hz (or something else)?

Either 220V@50Hz or 220V@60Hz is fine.

But don't take my word for it. Check out this web page:

Klonk Here.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Just to clarify.

Singapore is 220-240v 50mhz

So what I want to know is does the backplate (behind the motif XS7 bought from Japan) indicating (100-240v, 50-60mhz) suggests that it can be used worldwide WITHOUT a transformer?

the KORG M3 from Japan on the other hand indicates ONLY 100v.

So I assumed the XS7 from Japan is only 100v despite whats indicated at the backplate.

Thus far, my XS7 works fine but if I can be sure I dun require the transformer then I can save few pounds of weight when gigging.

It would seem you answered your own question.

More and more items use automatic voltage sensing\universal power supplies.

My CP300 is only set up for 220 - 230VAC, but my old A80 could handle all input voltages provided you removed a cover and switched it manually.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Read the manual carefully. Usually if it says 100-240 V it will have a universal, automatic sensing power supply and it doesn't matter which voltage or frequency you give it. This is common on high end gear, as professionl musicians tour internationall, and even in Europe there is everything from 110-240 V depending on which country you are in.

Sometimes there is a voltage range switch on the back of the unit. One will be labelled 100-120V, another 220-240V. Sometimes this switch is inside the unit and you have to open the case and get to it and either flick a switch or move a circuit board jumper. If it has this kind of switch you MUST give it the correct voltage otherwise you can do damage.

Read the manual carefully, and if you are not sure contact their customer service agent.

Michael

I've asked Yamaha about this recently. The XS has an automatic voltage switch on it, that's why the backplate says 100-240V. You do not need a step converter. This is one of the improvements over previous Motifs, which didn't have the feature.

John

WOW, thanks for the responses all.

If there's really an automatic voltage switch then that's gonna help me save a few pounds of carry weight.

So I presume that behind a motif ES from the US indicates only 1 voltage for eg, 120v or even 110-120v

Jus to be sure I'll ask the JApanese next time I fly there aain.

Thanks!

Archived