Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The King - 30 years later....

miroslav

Actully...Elvis is credited with writting a LOT of songs...

...a quick check at the US Copyright Office wil show that.

A lot of them co-written with Otis Blackwell...or Vera Matsen...etc.

That seems to have been SOP back from the Tin-Pan Alley days.

I've read somewhere that Al Jolson was credited with co-writing a lot of his songs too, and yet he wrote none of them. Giving the performer co-authorship was a way of getting someone to sing the song in the first place, back when songwriters would visit singers in their dressing rooms and show them potential new songs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's still going on...a lot of people avoid working with Lauryn Hill, because she insists on having songwriting and production credit on everything she records...regardless of what effort she actually put into either process. I'm sure she's not alone in this practice...

"I'm very easy to please. I just want everyone in the palm of my hand."

--Duke Ellington

It's still going on...a lot of people avoid working with Lauryn Hill, because she insists on having songwriting and production credit on everything she records...regardless of what effort she actually put into either process. I'm sure she's not alone in this practice...

No wonder she hasn't done anything for years!

I judge a man by "how many panties hit the stage..." - ELVIS was KING!

Sometime ago, back in the 80s, Tom Jones revealed that his manager used to come to gigs with big bags of panties that he'd distribute to the women in the audience so they could throw them at the stage. :grin:

Well...back in those days (and even now)...if you were a totally unknown songwriter, and you wanted to "get your foot in the door'...you had to accept the deals offered (and today too).

If someone told you (an unknown) that you could write songs for big name artists but only get half of the songwriter credit/royalty...

wouldn't you accept that...

...as opposed to getting NO credit and NO royalty...?

Of course...you wouldn't want to sign a real long-term contract...but, when first starting out, you have to be prepared to accept the best deals you have in front of you.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Sometime ago, back in the 80s, Tom Jones revealed that his manager used to come to gigs with big bags of panties that he'd distribute to the women in the audience so they could throw them at the stage. :grin:

Oh f*ck, Vince! You just shattered my fantasy. Next you're going to tell me Santa Claus isn't real? Thanks a lot, man.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Strangely, the interview made me think Tom Jones was a cooler guy for it.

I mean, what a bizarre situation to work in, eh? And I suppose that after the show, his manager and him must have collected all the panties they could find to reuse them for the next gig.

Bizarre or what? :grin:

Saw the Elvis 68' Comeback Special on TV Land the other night.

He actually played a fair amount of guitar in the jam session segment. It was basic type blues, but it was him and he was turned up fairly loud ("We're going up, we're going down"....)

Strangely, the interview made me think Tom Jones was a cooler guy for it.

I mean, what a bizarre situation to work in, eh? And I suppose that after the show, his manager and him must have collected all the panties they could find to reuse them for the next gig.

Bizarre or what? :grin:

And to think, all that sex appeal was just a showbiz trick. I'm shocked, SHOCKED! The venality of it all.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived