Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need an instructional book for Rock 'n' Blues keyboard!

Nu2Keys

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to answer your question when we don't know where you've plateaued. Are you down here near the bottom with me, or are you way up there with Billy Payne?

That said, I like Mark Harrison's Blues Piano. His Pop Keyboard Book or whatever it is exactly is good too, but I haven't been through it all yet.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

http://www.catamountjazz.com/Pictures5/ImprovisingBluesPiano.jpg

This book is good because it gets to the fundementals of all types of blues. boogie woogie,blues,jazz blues ,funk blues , stride,tritone,gospel and minor blues. It does not actually have much rock oriented stuff, But for blues it is covers the bases. and the fundementals well. The book is by Martin Mann and comes with a cd.

There's also an excellent recent series from Hal Leonard publishing, which is still adding genre-specific volumes month by month (the most recent is one for Salsa). As each book covers a very specific genre or style, it tends to go into more detail than other books. But the one mentioned above is quite good as well.

On Amazon, search for "Hal Leonard Keyboard Style Series". Hopefully that will find everything in the series, but earlier this year, they didn't have the full series consistently listed so you might have to also pay attention to the links on each page for recommended/similar titles.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived