Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: new website for recording

Admin, if this violates any policy in place, please delete.

I used to write for a popular webzine called ProRec. Then ProRec went away. The publisher got hols of me last week and asked if I would be interested in being a part of the new ProRec. So I have resumed my old position.

Right now the site is a work in progress, but there is a lot of content there already. Still, it will take a while to regaint he vibrancy that we once had.

But the most fun part of ProRec was the discussion pages, where a lot of people weighed in on a lot of audio and recording related subjects, and that allowed for a wide range of workable answers to most problems.

So if you have recording or PA issues, or you just want to be a part of a new audio-based website, drop on over and become a member at prorec.com. I'm sure that it will be slow at first, but if the past is any indication things will get lively and informative.

Thanks,

Bill Park

Senior Editor

ProRec.com

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still can't get MIDI to work..

MIDI is a bitch, especially if you did not come up with it. And then once you have the basic connections down it get's more intense with MIDI controller numbers and messages etc LOL it can be hard. Then you change something you don't know about and now you have lost input......I have wasted much time trying to track down these things....all the while tearing my hair out.

Those well versed in it just cruise...not me though. Yeah hopefully much info on that to be had at ProRec

I still can't get MIDI to work..

MIDI is a bitch, especially if you did not come up with it. And then once you have the basic connections down it get's more intense with MIDI controller numbers and messages etc LOL it can be hard. Then you change something you don't know about and now you have lost input......I have wasted much time trying to track down these things....all the while tearing my hair out.

Those well versed in it just cruise...not me though. Yeah hopefully much info on that to be had at ProRec

I think it's somewhat platform dependent. PT doesn't implement midi as easily as SONAR, for example (although I've heard ProTools has made a bit of headway integrating midi with the newer releases).

PT doesn't implement midi as easily as SONAR, for example

Actually I was more referring to setting up MIDI with programs like Sibelius and also assigning controller messages and dealing with hardware setup for example making sure pitch bend info is set the same for the controller and sound module etc Stuff like that. For me Pro Tools works great with my Midi stuff...if I create a MIDI track my input options are all there and if I create an Aux track and put a soft synth on that ....it immediately shows up in the list of output options.

Plus the Mac is awesome at detecting stuff..this whole issue of Pro Tools being weak on MIDI .....maybe on the deep editing end and for guys that do most of their work with MIDI.

I just registered with your site... I'll give it a look see a little later... Thanks for this heads up... I hope the answers I'm looking for will be understandable to a newbie in DAW's like me... :thu:

In the past the real strength of the site was on the discussion pages, where you could get a wide variety of experienced answers to a question.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Bill...is there work still being done to tha actual servers/website functionality...?

Man...I'm having a hell of a time trying to navigate through the various links. One link will pop real quick...then the next link just dies without ever loading the page.

I dunno...maybe it's a problem on my end of the Internet...?

Oh...the Forums link takes you to some studio website..."capturesound.com"...in Brooklyin, NY...???

Then if you hit the Back button...you then go to the Forums.

That don't seem right.

Anyway...I'm sure there will be some growing pains...but looking forward to it. :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Bill...is there work still being done to tha actual servers/website functionality...?

I have not had any of the problems that you mention. I'll check it out later tonight, haven't been there yet today.

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived