Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

jamming, rhythm

tomtele

hey

I had a question about your guys' approach to playing rhythm when jamming (impromptu, not a cover tune, none of us knew the same songs, unfortunately). I met 2 people from one of my summer school classes and I couldn't play rhythm for crap when we were switching off. Actually none of us really could. So you could imagine a whole bunch of lead phrases and trying to find chords that match them :confused:...it was fun but bad. I don't really know how to explain what I want to ask but uhh, when developing a groove what do you listen for?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try to hear everything that going on. I guess it goes back to my days earing out songs on records, where the mix is all homogenized together.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

WEll sure! you didn't stand a chance trying to fit some kind of rhythm to a bunch of solo lines LOL! I mean eveybody approached the thing backwards didn't they!! :) you should have just picked a three or four chord progression in some common key and tried to play your lead lines over that progression! Man that must have been a MESS LOL!!! :)

...Man that must have been a MESS LOL!!! :)

muhahaha - yeah - just do a simple 3 chord progression. Always best to keep it simple at first then "learn" each other.

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

You play off the drums. It's good to start with a simple bass vamp that everyone can lock into and then go from there. We always shouted the changes back and forth in "arrangements while you wait" fashion.

A simple I-IV-V blues is the best way to kick off a jam with players who aren't familiar with each other.

I always made the drummer and bass player play to me LOL....I like to control the direction of jams and rehearsals...not as a music Nazi, but someone has to take the reins...may as well be the guitar player as far as I am concerned.

Take charge bro'...lead by example. Learn a couple simple progressions, some power chord grooves and 3 chord Charlie's and go in and show them to the other guys and have them play it. Then you take turns doing leads.

hahaaha yea it WAS a mess, actually I don't think it was really a "jam" at all just 3 people playing 3 different things. it was a hit or miss thing, some parts did sound somewhat decent...sort of

well a lot of you mention listening to drums (need to find a drummer now), so how would I follow? just figure out a tempo from that? and what's a bass vamp?

What chords can you use based on the I, IV, V? For example, in the key of Am, I start with an Am7 chord...I guess a better question would be what can I not use? Any methods to make progressions sound more interesting? btw thanks everyone, appreciate the tips

Archived