Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

adjusting action on squier strat

Derrick1642607670

Ok the low E is buzzing on just about every fret some places worse than others, this means I have to raise my action correct? i've been searcing all over but I don't understand whether I loosen the adjustment screw or tighten it and im not even sure if im thinking of the right screw, I think im supposed to adjust the screws on the back of the bridge? very thankful to those who can clear this up for me.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw clock-wise the 2 hex screws in the saddle. Yours are similar to these:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/2/3/5/246235.jpg

Do each screw a little at at time to keep the saddle straight from side to side.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Ok the low E is buzzing on just about every fret some places worse than others, this means I have to raise my action correct? i've been searcing all over but I don't understand whether I loosen the adjustment screw or tighten it and im not even sure if im thinking of the right screw, I think im supposed to adjust the screws on the back of the bridge? very thankful to those who can clear this up for me.

at the very back of the bridge is the intonating screws.

as pointed out the saddles have the actual height adj screws. you may only need a truss rod adjustment. sometimes a little tweak to add some relief will solve the problem. get a tech to do that and have him explain it.

I'd adjust the two tiny Allen screws at the front of the saddle first. You should have received two Allen Keys with your guitar - a tiny one and a bigger one. The big one is for truss rod adjustment and you don't need that - yet.

Use the little one to screw in the grub screws at the front of the low E saddle. About 1 full turn at a time on each to keep them even. This will raise the action a little. Keep trying the action until the rattle/buzz is almost away (you can live with a little providing it isn't heard over the amp).

If this cures it , then all good & well.

If you find that there is still a buzz at the TOP frets near the nut, then the truss rod needs relaxed just a little. If it rattles near the body end of the neck, then it could be a combination of too much relief & low saddles.

Do the height thing first & see how it works out.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Actually, it sounds to me like you need a whole new guitar! After you get a new one that works right, then you can worry about trivial things like adjustments on the old ones. Never miss a chance to feed your obsession...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived