Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

great guitar videos

Most of you know that I'm a big fan of fingerstyle guitar. One of the great joys of going to the tradeshows and being involved in the media is the chance to see Muriel Andersons All Star Guitar Night, a floating performance/jam that features some of the best players in the world.

There is a new resource open to all, called allstarguitarnight.tv. Check it out. There you can see an extended jam by Johnny A, a wonderful piece by Lawrence Juber, and a couple of dozen other great pieces of music by some really great players.

Besides being a consumate player herself and the driving force behind the All Star Guitar Night which bears her name, Muriel also spearheads efforts to get more music in the classroom and to make more music instruction available to childtren.

And for you Pittsburghers, Muriel Anderson is playing at Duquesne University on Aug 4, at the PNC recital hall in the music building. Tickest are $20.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very Cool Bill!

I played ASGN in 1995 in Nashville, and I wish there was a video recording of that show! Though the sound was sucky, the performance by Preston Reed was stellar. That's where I first heard Buster B. Jones and Tom Bresh play together - and I never played classical guitar again - strictly went fingerstyle/ arranger after that.

Of course, my favorite performance was July 2004 - Adrian Belew at the Ryman Auditorium. I think I embarrassed myself. It's very difficult to contain one's self when Adrian breaks out in Three of a Perfect Pair - by himself. Second favorite was hearing Eric Johnson's acoustic material for the first time at a January show. Third was Pete Huttlinger's rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" on acoustic guitar. Simple word - Eeeek!

Yup!!! Always learning a lesson.

They Call Me The Funk Whisperer

Archived