Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuffbox shock mount rack cases - any experience?

VeloDoug

This price seems too good to be true. I'm intrigued by its claim of light weight and durability. Does anyone have an opinion or experience that would influence my purchase decision? I'm planning on mounting the amp of my Mesa Mark IV combo in a rack mount kit, so I'd like the shock mount. I will also mount some rack gear and a couple of drawers for cables and pedals.

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug, is a 1/2" of foam lining enough? I don't know anything about this but I seem to recall the roadcases I have seen the pro's use had more shock protection there, an inch to inch and a 1/4 or something. I could be wrong but I would look into that.

Still, it looks good. I always wanted to rack everything, it is so logical.

I was just looking at Anvil's site..they use 1" or 2" foam between the outer wall and a 1/2" inner wall. Thta's tough...that 1/2" seems cheesy to me. also if that foam is not good quality it may deteriorate fast. I would consider this. Still, it may work for you for a while and then you can use it later in a less demanding situation like at home, in the studio etc.

Yep, on the Anvil's, I just took a look at on of ours here and it's 2 inch foam and it sits in a Spring Rider cage! if you hit the sides of it really hard you can see the spring rider kick in and it floats the equipment inside, it just kind of swings from the impact but there is no real jar to the impact.

Might be fine, but you'll need a couple strong pals if you ever play a gig upstairs. I broke my rig into two 4 space racks for this reason. I literally couldn't get the 8 space rack up my stairs from the studio to my car.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Upstair gig? Hell with the gear, I need an elevator to get to it!

I have seen furniture dollies and hand trucks with straps with a roller system used to make it easier.

I remember walking in before a sound check and almost having a heart attack. A guy from the venue was taking a skillsaw to our big reinforcement speakers.

This guy was a master. HE had mounted two wheels that touched when the cab was leaned back, along with another handle. Worked great!

On the subject of cases. It you are going to be banging around $1000 amps, don't go cheap on your cases. I use Anvil and a case that is custom made out in LA. (Can't cemember the guys name but I have it and his phone # in my PDA. He made an effects case for me that is as good as I have seen any where. I gave him the dimensions and had the case in a week. Take off the top, plug it in and it is ready to go.

Peace

2 inch, case in a case format is the only rack rig that provides any protection.

You all know my view... cases for most bands are stupid. They are designed to protect the gear when traveling long distances in trucks, in which everything is in similar cases. They tear up cars and vans, and weigh way to much. But then, I had all of my rigs and guitars prior to 1980 in Anvil or Calzone flight cases. Just my opinion. All my stuff goes in soft cases or bags now except the guitars, which travel in the manufacturer-supplied cases. Road cases are sexy as hell, but hard on the back.

One of the major sound companies (UltraSound... Dave Mathews, Greatful Dead, etc) toured forever with their fancy wood rack cases covered with soft cloth covering that looked like toaster covers made from packing blankets. Those cases have been on the road for 20 and 30 years, and they still look great. Try that with an Anvil case. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived