Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audere Preamp

DavidMPires

Hi guys did anyone tried one of these on your bass?

I may be putting on my Ibanez SR

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget it it was too good to be true I need passive pickups and mine are active

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

No not at all Slap

The thing with my Ibanez is that it doesn't have the output i would like so instead of changing the pick ups and maybe I will not like the sound of it, I will change first the preamp which is cheaper too and will eliminate the problems If it works great if not I might consider to change the pickups If I don't sell it by then.

I like th bass but lately the output is getting on my nerves also I may change to flatwounds strings to get a more mellow sound

Black nylon???? You lost me there

Black nylon???? You lost me there
iv actully never seen them but 2 of my mates use them. there really smooth nylon strings for bass apparently, there supposed to sound good. i think they come standard with the thunderbird (thats what one of them have)

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I think you are talking about the ashbory strings or the DR coloured ones, Right? No never tried them. i use mostly Elixir

Dave,

it might be worth emailing bartolini with your questions and seeing if they can recommend a preamp. I assume its a bartolini preamp and not the ibanez active EQ. There are a whole host of preamps on their site.

http://www.bartolini.net

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Cheers Tim

I'm not sure my pickups are bartolini, I think I'll take them out and try to find any serial numbers or something like it.

I read on the talkbass that they were stock ibanez pickups and don't have a clue about the preamp either.

Im assuming that the pickups are active and the preamp passive as by taking the battery the bass goes silence.

Rocky what will be an onboard preamp? a plaque to replace mine?

Rocky what will be an onboard preamp? a plaque to replace mine?

I'm sorry, I did not notice on your post that you had an active bass.

Changing preamps may not make any difference. :grin:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

do the pickups say bartolini on the top of them? if not then they are the standard ibanez mit-e-mite pick ups.

do the pick ups have any markings on the top of them?

does it start with an "a" or a "d"?

If they start with an "a" then they are the worst pickups that was ever put into a bass. the output on them is extremely low.

the "a" means that they are active.

if they are not marked then do they have three wires a red, a white, and a black? if they have the red wire then thay are active(see above) if there is just two wires then see below.

The reason that the whole bass dies when you take out the battery is that you cannot bypass the preamp. Passive or not the pickups cannot reach the output.

I have an ibanez with the active pickups, I love the bass except for the dang output.

you would benefit from a total electronics swap anyway.

Nylon or black tape strings are different than the ashbory or the dr coated strings

you would benefit from a total electronics swap anyway.

Sounds like a good plan to me, replace everything. ;)

Rocky :snax:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Replace everything? I'll need to check my affordability for that.

They are pickups with no name see below

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/davidmpires/baixos011.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/davidmpires/baixos009.jpg

I'm guessing they are Ibanez stock.

they are the stock Ibanez and it looks like they are the active.

the holes in the control cavity where the leads from the pickups come in should have a white, a black, a red and possibly a smaller black wire. if the smaller wire is present it is just a shielding ground or the ground for the bridge either way leave it be.

well do you use the preamp? if not then you could get away with swaping out the pickups. then you could get the preamp later if you feel you need to add one.

If you want active go with emgs I believe that the 40 series should be a direct replacement. double check the dimensions. you might be able to use them with the existing preamp unless the output from the new pickups is too high for the preamp.

the pickup wires should be the same you just have to match them.

there is a wireing diagram with the pickups.

Double check because without the bass in front of me, all I can do is speculate.

if you want to go with the audere pre then the bartolini m4 series should be a direct replacement. again double check the dimensions. you might be able to use the stock pre with passive pickups but I am not completely sure. there could be an impedence mismatch.

But essentially, are you happy with the tone of the bass? The best preamp and PUs will reflect the natural sound of the bass. I've done what you are thinking about doing on my Jazz. I've changed the PU's to Nordstrand SEs and added an Audere preamp. The Audere is excellent. The reason I changed them is because I wanted a master volume. I know I'm crazy. The tone is very similar to the stock Fender.

Just saying ...

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

thanks guys

I like the bass, but it lack attack and bright.

I was thinking that using Emgs may be a solution as I have ones on my Spector already.

In regards with the red wire going to the pickups, i will let you when I get home and check it, tho I'm pretty sure that it is the active pickups and not the preamp.

The main issue is that I have a bass at home and i'm not making the most of it so I either sell it and get one that I like or keep it and make changes so I can use it on gigs and studio. i don't like to have stuff that I don't use. And i am really please with the her neck it is really smooth to play.

And after I'm going to change strings too, for flatwounds

Archived