Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Monophonic only (MEK) for the last two weeks... & ramblings

tarkus

My Triton Extreme has been in the shop. Since then, my only keyboard has been the MEK.

My analog programming is rusty; I need to remind myself to keep it simple, one oscillator at a time rather than the "kitchen sink" approach.

Practice habits have also changed - obvious. Maybe my dexterity (chops) will improve? I seem to be spending a few hours with the machine as opposed to my usual 1 hour routines with polyphony.

I think back to Tomita or Carlos and what they may have encountered while realising their work. I have greater respect for the pioneers: programming from scratch and using as many tracks available to get the product.

I've thrown myself into a diabolical realm that presents judicious minimalism but tempts excess; the reality of failure looms large in this strangely strictured parameter.

The MEK presets are wonderful and allow good tweakage - but to throw it out the window and start from raw is a humbling experience. I've also routed the Theremin through the MEK - to the listening discomfort of my wife... DIABOLICAL!

To ease my mind, I've started re-reading old HP Lovecraft stories and revisited a spoken-word project around these stories.

The old tapes of the original experiments from about 10 years ago are interesting.

We used a Crumar Stratus, a didjereedoo, assorted percussion, poorly played wood-winds & reeds, a roll of duct tape and whatever else lent to the project.

Perhaps the monophonic experience can breathe new life into this project?

I should be receiving the Triton by week's end, maybe I can sleep after that...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I remember of my MiniMoog programming most of it was centered around the filter rather than the osc's. Use this time to listen to the world and try to recreate the sound in simple subtractive programming. Start easy and then advance in stages. Program the sound of a helicopter. Then push on to make is sound like the helicopter is coming over a mountain or around a skyscraper. Then take off the headphones, crank it up, and see if the wife goes outside to look for the helicopter buzzing the house.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Timely post. I just spent a good hour playing around with the PEK sequencer, something I rarely use on any keyboard. Took me a while to figure out (remember) how to sync up the PER but once I did I was having a lot of fun - not playing. I tend to focus on programming one synth for a few months at a time. The PEK finally got it's shot over the last 3 months and I've really am happy with the patches I've come up wit. Different from my other analogs but not the "typical" techno/screaching thing I've heard others use it for. Maybe I'm getting close to what a P5 sounds like? Never owned one so who knows.

Our band has been on hiatus for the last couple of weeks. I've got all my gear at home, including the PEK. All I've done is start a little groove in Reason.

How pathetic is that???

I need 36hr days.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

From what I remember of my MiniMoog programming most of it was centered around the filter rather than the osc's. Use this time to listen to the world and try to recreate the sound in simple subtractive programming. Start easy and then advance in stages. Program the sound of a helicopter. Then push on to make is sound like the helicopter is coming over a mountain or around a skyscraper. Then take off the headphones, crank it up, and see if the wife goes outside to look for the helicopter buzzing the house.

She Runs outside when I play as it is. :D

Our band has been on hiatus for the last couple of weeks. I've got all my gear at home, including the PEK. All I've done is start a little groove in Reason.

How pathetic is that???

I need 36hr days.

Sometimes a little groove goes a long way...

As you can tell by the rambling in my post, I haven't slept much...

Quote by Markyboard:

"The PEK finally got it's shot over the last 3 months and I've really am happy with the patches I've come up wit. Different from my other analogs but not the "typical" techno/screaching thing I've heard others use it for. Maybe I'm getting close to what a P5 sounds like? Never owned one so who knows."

Our good buddy Dave Smith said the PEK can do all that Prophet can do. Having a P5 I can tell you that the P5 can't do all that the PEK can do! Yikes! If God ever allows me to come into $$$ again, I will have a PEK. I have a score to settle with some of my new neighbors and I'll make the neighborhood sound like an invasion at 3AM to get even. :rimshot:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

My analog programming is rusty; I need to remind myself to keep it simple, one oscillator at a time rather than the "kitchen sink" approach.

Just remember that it can't be any worse than my old PAiA 2700 series synth. That thing would pitch drift everytime that the air conditioner went on!

Dan

Archived