Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]Woah, what's this? [b] JAMFREE 2002[/b] [url=http://www.artistlaunch.com/jamfree]www.artistlaunch.com/jamfree[/url] [/b][/quote]So Steve, I suppose you put that all together in one take on Friday night. That, to me sounds like it's ready to produce. You guys are so good it's sickening. ;) The drums on that are really something. I couldn't hear one miss anywhere. Bass is tits up & how in the hell do you get your fingers to move so fast? Tremendous tune that seems to keep the main theme while changing enough to keep my interest, all in a style of music I usually don't listen to. :thu:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Dak...I know this is a stretch for you...I appreciate your open mind. This was recorded Live...completely improvised with no preconceived ideas whatsoever. I liken this style to a fired up game of basketball amongst friends. Oh and the circus style acrobatic fun is something I just really enjoy doing.

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]Woah, what's this? [b] JAMFREE 2002[/b] [url=http://www.artistlaunch.com/jamfree]www.artistlaunch.com/jamfree[/url] [/b][/quote]That had some really nice moments in it. I enjoyed it. I actually fell asleep for a few seconds when I was listening to it, and when I came out of that dreamy state I thought, whoa, what's that? that sounds good!!! I was a bit disappointed that it faded out right when the piano was starting its thing. I perked up when I heard that. Always leave them wanting more. Right? I'm not going to lie. I got rather tired of the fuzz bass rumbling around down there. I get fatigued if I can't make out individual notes for too long. Also, the guitar was somewhat disappointing, it didn't really do much, and some of the chording on the organ started bothering me. The other thing that bothered me was that the organ would lead the way, and the bass and drums would follow, but then the organ would start something new while the drums and bass were on the last thing. That shouldn't happen too much and with time you'll stop doing that. But hey, it's a jam, and as such it holds up really well. Very impressive. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. Not my intention. I liked it. Nice job on the recording. I'd be interested to hear how you set that up and what you used. Regards, Dan Worley

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]Ok, I guess I'm ready to throw myself to the wolves. I guess I'm looking for feedback on everything; performences, production, songwriting, everything. This stuff is all between 6 months and a year old, I've been really woodshedding on guitar recently. I guess I'll start recording again soon and would like some critiques to help me focus. It's so hard to get honest critisim from my friends and family, I'd like some gut reactions from fellow musicians. Jack [url=http://www.mp3.com/jack_mathers]www.mp3.com/jack_mathers[/url] Got, I just listened to this stuff on my computer monitors, and it sounds so damn muddy. WTF? It sounds fine on my Studio monitors.[/b][/quote]Heh. Dude, I like it. I think the reverb on the voice it a little bit too much.. reverb is good vor certain points in a song - not all. you have a wonderful voice - dont hide it :) Apart from that, I loved original Sin. Great sounding start to it :) like mentioned earlier; would be 'funky' if you broke into a funk / jammy riff at some stage in it, its a little heavy - needs something to break it up a bit. But I really enjoyed them - constructive criticism - gotta love it. Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

[quote]The other thing that bothered me was that the organ would lead the way, and the bass and drums would follow, but then the organ would start something new while the drums and bass were on the last thing. That shouldn't happen too much and with time you'll stop doing that. But hey, it's a jam, and as such it holds up really well. Very impressive.[/quote]I respect your impression but have to see it as subjective...I really like listening to music that passes between movements by layering them on top of each other...that's what we were doing from what I can tell. I listen to a lot of Steve Reich, Brian Eno and King Crimson so this is always going to be a part of my repetoire. I appreciate what the music felt like to you, we mix it up and do a little of everything...this was the last jam at about 4:30AM after having improvised for over 2 hours. I'm glad you enjoyed a lot of it. I agree that Ralph was probably overdoing the Fuzz riffing but after listening to it a few times it's grown on me. Cory (the guitar player) is still learning to jam...he's been playing a long time but never on the cuff as much as we are. He plays tasty regardless...I dig the sloppiness on some jams. Thanks for listening.

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [QUOTE]I respect your impression but have to see it as subjective...I really like listening to music that passes between movements by layering them on top of each other...that's what we were doing from what I can tell. I listen to a lot of Steve Reich, Brian Eno and King Crimson so this is always going to be a part of my repetoire.[/quote]Oh, by all means. I wasn't implying that you should consider taking it out of your repertoire (I'm not that arrogant -- I don't think :) ). No. No. No. I enjoy those kind of layered passages, too--when done in moderation. What I was trying to say (but didn't ) is that I wouldn't do it all the time and that it sounded like the other players were trying to catch up with the organ player (I'm being picky here). If indeed you do get together often, this should work itself out naturally. I can already tell you guys are anticipating each others moves, and that is what is needed in any really good free jam. [quote]I appreciate what the music felt like to you, we mix it up and do a little of everything...this was the last jam at about 4:30AM after having improvised for over 2 hours. I'm glad you enjoyed a lot of it.[/quote]Yes, I did enjoy it. I wish I had mates to do those kind of jams with. I'm jealous, but I also can't play as well as you guys, either. [quote]I agree that Ralph was probably overdoing the Fuzz riffing but after listening to it a few times it's grown on me.[/quote]I'm not immune to it yet. :) No slight to Ralph. [quote]Cory (the guitar player) is still learning to jam...he's been playing a long time but never on the cuff as much as we are. He plays tasty regardless...I dig the sloppiness on some jams.[/quote]I didn't hear a bad note. I was just waiting for him to break out, and it never happened. No big deal. [quote]Thanks for listening.[/quote]You bet. Thank you. My compliments to the band. Regards, Dan Worley

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: I listen to a lot of Steve Reich, Brian Eno and King Crimson[/QB][/quote]Steve, this is probably going to amaze you but I used to have some King Crimson LP's. Though it's different, I still have, and listen to Uriah Heep & the original Skid Row, among others. The Crimson stuff got ripped off but they left me Lizard. I'm going to post a link to my son's music. It's like a lot of yours only in the sense that I don't normally listen to the genre, but do at times, & will usually pick up something I like, whether it's riff, a beat or a vocal technique. I really do listen to a pretty diverse spectrum of music, It's just that I don't do that every day. The most consistent listening I do is to Americana.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hey all, I'm doing this post on the sly. My son has a pretty decent band called Dead Zero. I uploaded some of his music to their website, with his knowledge. When you have a chance, take a listen & let me know what you think. He will be receptive to ideas for improvement. You'll find it in the [url=http://www.deadzero.net/id25.htm]LIBRARY[/url] . He doesn't know I'm doing THIS, sneaky bastard that I am.

Our Joint

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind comments and suggestions. Buying a good quality soundcard is the very next thing on my list of MUST HAVES. And I really will start recording dry and then adding room verb or a "little" delay afterwards. I did a few practice recordings last night dry and the guitar seems to jump out of the mixes that way! Thank you all for you time and energy! I truly appreciate it! riffy :D

[quote]Originally posted by riffy: [b]Thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind comments and suggestions. Buying a good quality soundcard is the very next thing on my list of MUST HAVES. And I really will start recording dry and then adding room verb or a "little" delay afterwards. I did a few practice recordings last night dry and the guitar seems to jump out of the mixes that way! Thank you all for you time and energy! I truly appreciate it! riffy :D [/b][/quote]Riffy, Don't go overboard the other way now. If you don't need it, great! But If you need some reverb to feel the part and play it right, and you can't add it to your cue mix because of equipment limitations, then you might want to add some when you're tracking just so you can be more comfortable and play the part correctly. Just make sure the reverb you choose fits the song well, and you don't use too much. Otherwise your guitar parts are always going to be doomed to the back stage, and/or its reverb might not match the other reverbs you're going to need in the mix--and, because of that, the guitar's reverb will always dictate what other reverbs you can use in a mix. That takes away a lot of your options when you're mixing--I hate that. Delay is another matter. Sometimes you can treat it the same as reverb, but often times it's an intricate element to a lot of your guitar sounds--much more than reverb is--and you just have to track with it in order to play the part or to capture the sound correctly. If you can add it to your cue mix, and not track it, all the better. As long as you make it clear to the mix engineer (if it's not you) what the guitar part is supposed to do. If you track with delay, make sure it fits the tempo and arrangement needs of the song exactly, because if you use the wrong setting, your perfect take is worthless, for the most part. Personally, when I use delay for a guitar sound, I almost always track it. You may find otherwise. I have the luxury of not being on the clock, so I tweak the delay until I know for sure that it's right. I have had that come back to bite me a few times, but not very often. You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you. I'm glad to know you're at least experimenting with turning down your FXs. So much good playing is lost in the FX soup. When you need them, they'll be there, and they'll have more impact because they haven't been overused, thus giving you another texture to add to your soundscape, making your mixes much more interesting. Anyway. I pray you success. Happy shopping for your sound card. Regards, Dan Worley

[quote]Originally posted by Nollykin: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]Ok, I guess I'm ready to throw myself to the wolves. I guess I'm looking for feedback on everything; performences, production, songwriting, everything. This stuff is all between 6 months and a year old, I've been really woodshedding on guitar recently. I guess I'll start recording again soon and would like some critiques to help me focus. It's so hard to get honest critisim from my friends and family, I'd like some gut reactions from fellow musicians. Jack [url=http://www.mp3.com/jack_mathers]www.mp3.com/jack_mathers[/url] Got, I just listened to this stuff on my computer monitors, and it sounds so damn muddy. WTF? It sounds fine on my Studio monitors.[/b][/quote]Heh. Dude, I like it. I think the reverb on the voice it a little bit too much.. reverb is good vor certain points in a song - not all. you have a wonderful voice - dont hide it :) Apart from that, I loved original Sin. Great sounding start to it :) like mentioned earlier; would be 'funky' if you broke into a funk / jammy riff at some stage in it, its a little heavy - needs something to break it up a bit. But I really enjoyed them - constructive criticism - gotta love it. Nolly[/b][/quote]Thanks for the review Nolly. Your comments were right in line with the other stuff I've heard too. Too much effect on the vocal and Original Sin needs some kind of jam/funk section in it. I am totally flattered that people have responded this way to my voice! I'll take that into account and back of on the effect next time(Even if it makes me cringe without it). I'm already working on a funky break for O.S. Not, all I have to do is have some time to record it! :thu: Jack
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by daklander: [b]Hey all, I'm doing this post on the sly. My son has a pretty decent band called Dead Zero. I uploaded some of his music to their website, with his knowledge. When you have a chance, take a listen & let me know what you think. He will be receptive to ideas for improvement. You'll find it in the [url=http://www.deadzero.net/id25.htm]LIBRARY[/url] . He doesn't know I'm doing THIS, sneaky bastard that I am.[/b][/quote]I'm listening to your son's band now...reminds me of Danzig a bit. Cool, Rock n Roll!

[quote]Originally posted by daklander: [b]Hey all, I'm doing this post on the sly. My son has a pretty decent band called Dead Zero. I uploaded some of his music to their website, with his knowledge. When you have a chance, take a listen & let me know what you think. He will be receptive to ideas for improvement. You'll find it in the [url=http://www.deadzero.net/id25.htm]LIBRARY[/url] . He doesn't know I'm doing THIS, sneaky bastard that I am.[/b][/quote]It's funny, usually i wouldn't listen to stuff that heavy, but it isn't harsh sounding,the guitars are nice and soft (not that aweful piercing harsh shit). They are a tight band too. Pleasantly surprising. Is that your son singing?

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [QBIt's funny, usually i wouldn't listen to stuff that heavy, but it isn't harsh sounding,the guitars are nice and soft (not that aweful piercing harsh shit). They are a tight band too. Pleasantly surprising. Is that your son singing?[/QB][/quote]Yeah, my son does all the vocals & guitar work. When they recorded those songs there were 3 in the band. He wrote everything except that last thing after the delay on the last song. The did all the tracks in one day & went back in for one remix. I usually don't listen to that style of music either but they've done, I think, a very good job, particularly since it's their first time recording.

Our Joint

[quote]Originally posted by Dan Worley: [b] BTW. For anyone else who's reading this. Macle's songs were the first things I heard when I started exploring this thread a couple of weeks ago. Oh, man, was I impressed -- and intimidated. I contacting him privately to tell him how much I enjoyed his music and how talented I thought he and his girlfriend (I found out later. I love her voice) were. I just want to go on record publicly that I (along with a lot of other people, I'm sure) am blown away by what they come out with. If I ran a label, I would sign the two of them in a heartbeat. Not only as talent, but I would also sign Macle as a producer. Regards, Dan Worley[/b][/quote]Hey Dan, thanks very much. Don't know what to say. Really very nice. Macle

3 final mixes -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It´s done with a Yamaha CS6x,and Yamaha P50, Roland A 80, Roland JV 880+vintage synth plugin, AKAI S 1000, Loops by Spectrasonics "Metamorphosis" and F.A.S.T Animations Power Mac G4, Cubase score, Wavelab 3.0 TLA Fatman compressor, Behringer Composer Alesis Quadra*3 Fostex 820 Fostex G 16 S Feel free to contact me and tell me what you think. Thanks,maxc http://www.mp3.com/maxc

OK- i'm game. please give me some feedback on my first project recorded on pro-tools. i'm looking for comments particularly on the engineering/producing/mixing of this song. i didn't write this song so i'm not exactly looking for a songwriting critique- but if you must, then have at it. check it out- any comments would be appreciated. [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/19/gigi_love.html]mp3.com[/url]

"[i]OK- i'm game. please give me some feedback on my first project recorded on pro-tools. i'm looking for comments particularly on the engineering/producing/mixing of this song. i didn't write this song so i'm not exactly looking for a songwriting critique- but if you must, then have at it.[/i]" Great job on the song Sneech. Was that a washboard in the mix? If it was it either needs to come up or out. It kind of sounded like a low freq distortion/clip.

There's only two kinds of music, one is good, the other one is not good. -Jimi Hendrix Which is this...lolHey Guys, Hope you aren't tired of all the clips yet? I just decided that some of you may want to hear a Soldano SLO really cranked. I hear people talk about buzzy trebely sounds with them? I personally don't hear it. But your opinion may differ. Let me know what you think of the song and playing please? All comments good and bad welcomed as that is the best way to learn! Thanks all riffy http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Lone/ go here click on album 1 and the song is called Madness

There's only two kinds of music, one is good, the other one is not good. -Jimi Hendrix Which is this...lolHey Guys, Hope you aren't tired of all the clips yet? I just decided that some of you may want to hear a Soldano SLO really cranked. I hear people talk about buzzy trebely sounds with them? I personally don't hear it. But your opinion may differ. Let me know what you think of the song and playing please? All comments good and bad welcomed as that is the best way to learn! Thanks all riffy http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Lone/ go here click on album 1 and the song is called Madness

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Hi everybody...lately there have been people opening topics seeking reactions to their music. I think this is great, but it could become unwieldy very rapidly as the number of topics multiplies. So, this folder has been created for two reasons: 1. If you want reactions to your music, tell us where to find it. 2. If you want to check out some new music and comment on it, go for it. This could be a lot of fun if we get a decent level of participation. Ever wanted to be an A&R person? Ever needed some good quotes for a promotion? This is the place! To those whose folders I deleted because they asked for feedback on music, please repost in this folder. You were deleted solely to free up folder space, not because your contributions were unwanted. Fire away............[/b][/quote]I´d like to have your words about the MP3s on my website. The MP3s are from four different artists so there might something for everybody. ;) Czar Valentin is a songwriter The Nameless Demons is kind of bombastic experimental electronics The other two are more minimal electronics Thank you very much for reading that. And thanks if you would be so kind to write a few words- maybe into the forum on our site. :wave:

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

..hexaChord - independent movement for artificial arts..

Originally posted by Imbecilia: I´d like to have your words about the MP3s on my website. The MP3s are from four different artists so there might something for everybody. ;) Czar Valentin is a songwriter The Nameless Demons is kind of bombastic experimental electronics The other two are more minimal electronics Thank you very much for reading that. And thanks if you would be so kind to write a few words- maybe into the forum on our site. :wave Ok. Czar Vanentin; Has great voice. Why screw it up with all the echo??? (Wind) A little goes a looooooonnnnnnggggggg Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy. Get It? The melody is very nice but what was done to make it airy was a bit too much too. My feeling is this could be a really great song but simple is better. Nameless Demons; Hexachord was interesting. Nicely done on that one. Perchteuropa; ein seltsamer traum, Sorry, can't get into it at all. What is that over-riding the vocals? Ehochminus; Suicide Bomber, Sorry again, I'm not sure what was supposed to be brought about here so I can't make a judgement as to any mix quality. Sounded ok. Like the old American Bandstand thing. In that high whiny voice...I give it a 2 'cause it has a kinda nice beat but I can't dance to it. Valentin is the best of the bunch.

Our Joint

[quote]Originally posted by sneech: [b]sorry, i'm a suffering newbie. hope this link works now. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/19/gigi_love.html [/b][/quote]Had time to critique "shining on" Excellent: The mandolin was well played, fits very well into the song. Vocals: Great, even on MP3 I can hear distance between the BKG VOC and Lead. I like the Change in tone with one part of the singing. Adds dynamics. Lyrics are great, and fit melody line well. Overall, a great song, and production. I am actually looking forward to hearing the rest when I have more time. Good Luck.

[quote]Originally posted by riffy: [b]There's only two kinds of music, one is good, the other one is not good. -Jimi Hendrix Which is this...lolHey Guys, Hope you aren't tired of all the clips yet? I just decided that some of you may want to hear a Soldano SLO really cranked. I hear people talk about buzzy trebely sounds with them? I personally don't hear it. But your opinion may differ. Let me know what you think of the song and playing please? All comments good and bad welcomed as that is the best way to learn! Thanks all riffy http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Lone/ go here click on album 1 and the song is called Madness[/b][/quote]I didn't see Madness, but I listened to about 5 of the clips you had up there. Dude, you can shed, that's for sure. Not problems with the production or the playing whatsoever. My trouble with your music is that there didn't seem to be any chord changes. I mean, man you were wailing on the chord that was laid down, but there wasn't much of a change for my taste. I dunno, maybe it's me, but it comes off rather monotone to me with just one groove, and one riff to play to. It's like there was one intensity level though every piece. Playing was great though.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by sneech: [b]sorry, i'm a suffering newbie. hope this link works now. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/19/gigi_love.html [/b][/quote]Can't give any advice...The first song is great! I let the rest run & nothing strikes me that needs attention. Nice job & some good tunes. :D

Our Joint

CAPRICORN ONE Hi to all!!! If someone want to listen to some free psychedelic records from Italy visit my site at vitaminic.com: http://stage.vitaminic.com/main/capricorn_one2 (GREAT GREAT GREAT GIGI LOVE AT MP3.COM - VISIT THE LINK BELOW POSTED BY SNEECH!!) Thks to everyone 'n sorry if I steal a few seconds of your life!! Hics

Archived