Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

Thanx Dan! I couldn't find a place to post it for free,so I had to build a web site that would let me store it there. Apple lets you have 20 mb for free if you use a Mac,but you have the LONG url. What the heck, some girls like my long url! Sorry the download took so long.I set the MP3 rate high to keep some quality. I've got a cable modem, and it just takes 2 min. Glad you liked the song. I'm hearing from friends it sounds like The Sex Pistols doing Tom Petty. You're the first pro thats heard it. I did it myself in my bedroom last week when I was out of work sick. ;) Thank you for your kind words and your patience. Carmen :)

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Sir Winston Churchill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! and hello all, this is great! Visit me sometime and express freely, as I do share my music freely. The world is a pulsating urge for music of souls whom enhabit her. Or simply just visit a while... Enjoy :) http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/146/vi_an-_-is-_-vi_an.html or [url=http://www.mp3.com/just_vi_an]www.mp3.com/just_vi_an[/url] your friend, Vi An Send me private messages. They go straight to my email and I like to save what you have to express about not only my music but your own inside sparks towards it too.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml& aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en Anyone? C :D

Sir Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...
My 22 year old son has been playing great guitar ever since he was about 15 but while I know he's been working at his writing skills for quite awhile now he's always been bashful at letting me hear what he's up two. He was up for a visit about a month ago and finally let me hear some of his stuff and I coaxed him into laying down a scratch guitar track and a vocal track so I could demo one for him, the results of which I hope will encourage him to get his ass up here more often and let me help him develop his talents. Lofi: http://www.mdvl.net/~wfturner/YoureSpecial_lofi.m3u Hifi: http://www.mdvl.net/~wfturner/YoureSpecial_hifi.m3u This was kind of exciting for me to do this for him. It was also exciting because though the thing was tracked on the lowly old AMD586 machine, Its the first thing I've got around to mixing on thhis new machine. Every thing up in one window with everything done in real time... Lord I done died and went to heaven. :) Can't wait to upgrade these Soundblasters soon.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I've finnaly broke down and created a page at mp3.com. 3 songs are featured : "Sugarcane" and "So Easy" first singles from Darling Nikkie debut solo album "To The Limit" a Jade4U dance production. http://www.mp3.com/DarlingNikkie or http://www.DarlingNikkie.com/sounds Enjoy Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Is that Iggy Pop singing!?!?!? Love it, don't change a thing! [quote]Originally posted by CarmenC: [b]For your approval........ [URL=http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite .xml&]http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSit e.xml&[/URL] aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en C[/b][/quote]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]Is that Iggy Pop singing!?!?!? Love it, don't change a thing! [/b][/quote] Wow! Thanx. I played everything on this track in my bedroom studio,( 8 track minidisc) but I LOVE Iggy, Bowie,T.Rex, The Dolls, etc. Glad you liked it. Anyone else? Carmen :)

Sir Winston Churchill

Hi all, Here is the latest project I've been working on in the studio. It's a smooth jazz band from the Houston area. These tracks are "faders up" and haven't hit the mixdown stage yet. Let me know what you think? Do you think these guys have a chance beyond the local level (national) ? http://freeweb.pdq.net/radiant/music/put up or shut up.wma http://freeweb.pdq.net/radiant/music/clouded.wma

Hey you know, I have an idea here.... It would seem the ratio of "check out my music" to people actually reviewing things is pretty nil. How about we invoke an unofficial rule one should post a review prior to spamming their music?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Carmen, Just took a listen to your track and I too really dig it!! I like most of the music you do so that's not too surprising - however I think you do it very well! The one thing I would suggest would be to get some dynamic changes happening. I think it's mainly in the drums that this could happen - varying the sounds and drum parts would help a lot. Perhaps changing up the vocal treatment between the verses and choruses would be good too. For my own tastes, I think the vocal is too heavily effected in the verses. A nice up front intimate sound would be cool there and then the more effected sound works nicely on the choruses. Keep up the good work! --Lee

Steve, Just listened to the tracks you did with Elly. Very cool! She does indeed have a great voice, and you are really talented on all the instruments. Love the dobro, and the recording is very well done too. Thanks for sharing! --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by radiantrecording: [b]Hi all, Here is the latest project I've been working on in the studio. It's a smooth jazz band from the Houston area. These tracks are "faders up" and haven't hit the mixdown stage yet. Let me know what you think? Do you think these guys have a chance beyond the local level (national) ? http://freeweb.pdq.net/radiant/music/put up or shut up.wma[/URL][/b][/quote] This sounds really nice. What did you record it on (what medium, Digital, tape?) sounds really big. nice job. The playing is really nice but the tune itself ended up feeling a little like it was crippled by the end. The lop sided bass thing just was a bit much for me after a while. But that is really digging. I would sure like to record some beautiful sounding bands like that! Nice shtuff. One more point, the bass is right there in the big speakers and yet it seems to almost dissapear in the computer speakers. I know that is common to a certain degree but it seemed a little more obvious on this tune. Just something i noticed. Cheers.

[quote]Just listened to the tracks you did with Elly. Very cool! She does indeed have a great voice, and you are really talented on all the instruments. Love the dobro, and the recording is very well done too. Thanks for sharing![/quote] Thanks a lot Lee...the recording was done in a friend's studio about 5 years ago. Glad you liked it.

[quote]Originally posted by CarmenC: [b]Opinions???? Anyone?? [URL=http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite .xml&]http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSit e.xml&[/URL] Carmen[/b][/quote] Great tune Carmen. Cool singing and the tune moves along good. As far as the recording, my opinion is that the the drums sound a little too 80's but i'm guessing that is what you went for. You seemed to have nailed the Costello type thing pretty good. I could use a bit more motion in the bass line, although what is there sounds appropriate, i still want to hear just a bit more in the 8th note area sometimes.That is how i hear it anyway. It sounds really good! got any more? Cheers

[quote]Originally posted by 1Empress_Scorpio: [b]Wow! and hello all, this is great! Visit me sometime and express freely, as I do share my music freely. The world is a pulsating urge for music of souls whom enhabit her. Or simply just visit a while... Enjoy :) http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/146/vi_an-_-is-_-vi_an.html or [url=http://www.mp3.com/just_vi_an]www.mp3.com/just_vi_an[/url] your friend, Vi An Send me private messages. They go straight to my email and I like to save what you have to express about not only my music but your own inside sparks towards it too.[/b][/quote] While i have no inside spark to speak of, i really enjoyed your music. Very nice recording. Nice interaction and feeling to the music. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I appreciate the response & comments! I'm recording to Sonar through RME I/O (Digiface & ADI-8 DS)and mixing through the Ramsa DA7. I'm mainly using the DA7's mic pres with TLA dual valve pre's and Vintech 1272 pre's (Kick/snare) Sax is through a Rode NTK and TLA mic pre. Overheads & hat SM81 DA7 Guitar SM57 & TLA Bass - Countryman DI & DA7 Lexicon verbs. There wasn't any compression on these tracks except for the master. During mixdown I'll probably add some Waves RCL to a number of the tracks. I'll also fatten up the bass some for that "small speaker" range. I might explore with waves maxxbass for that, I'm not sure. Thanks again! ------------------------- Carmen, great job man. I dig the drum sound myself. Good recording as well. There's not any signs of mudd in that recording which means you did a great job with the miking locations and EQ. I might get the kick & bass happening a little more though. Maybe cut back on the compression a little so the transient of some of the tracks hit you harder. My 2 cents. ------------- The Nikkie stuff sounds excellent as well. Great job. [ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: radiantrecording ]

Chip McDonald - Just checked massiveslack - sound warm and tight. Was this a spontaneous jam or a calculated - premeditated - slightly edited stuff. Whatever , I you lived in my area I would have hired you :D Lee Flier - I always wondered what you really do, and after listening to both track on offer I can say you guys really know your tech / engineering stuff.. Every thing is well recorded. It hard to comment on the songs since its truly not my preferred genre : You can actually hear the excitement in Backtrack (so there is an advantage with live players :D ) "Here with you" - sound much fuller and much closer to stuff I like. If your interested in my opinion though - your trademark harmonies (which sound good) will be much more special if they will be smartly introduced to make some section of the song stronger...

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]Hey you know, I have an idea here.... It would seem the ratio of "check out my music" to people actually reviewing things is pretty nil. How about we invoke an unofficial rule one should post a review prior to spamming their music?[/b][/quote] Don't forget that the lurkers to active ratio is about 99 to 1, which means that maybe a lot of people listen but only few remarks.. And it is difficult to actually comment on song..

Jingles show-reel

Frank, I really like your tunes and your recordings. What kind of compression are you using on your percussion? Waves/UAD/timeworks? Man, your percussion has a SSL compression sound IMO. I've never gotten to work on an SSL though but the perc. sounds like it was done on one. Also, do you build your own loops from the ground up or do you use sample CD's? Just curious. Kyle

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b] Great tune Carmen. Cool singing and the tune moves along good. As far as the recording, my opinion is that the the drums sound a little too 80's but i'm guessing that is what you went for. You seemed to have nailed the Costello type thing pretty good. I could use a bit more motion in the bass line, although what is there sounds appropriate, i still want to hear just a bit more in the 8th note area sometimes.That is how i hear it anyway. It sounds really good! got any more? Cheers[/b][/quote] Hi halljams! I guess I'm hopelessly stuck in the 80's! I think you picked up on the vibe of the tune perfectly. I must be getting old, cause I don't like the way drums sound on most records today. My favorite drum sounds are usually on Steve Lillywhite records (P. Furs, XTC). Still, I think it was ok for a Zoom drum machine. Tom Petty and Elvis Costello were big influneces, obviously... I agree about the bass. I think I just got lazy. Easy to do when you're by yourself and no one is there to tell you " you can do it better". One of the perils of doing everything yourself. The tune was knocked out on a Yamaha MD-8 8 track Minidisc. It's the first thing I've written in awhile, so I don't have anything else just yet, but with the quality of feedback on this board, I will surely post more when I can. I know I can learn alot here. Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your kind words, Carmen

Sir Winston Churchill

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Carmen, Just took a listen to your track and I too really dig it!! I like most of the music you do so that's not too surprising - however I think you do it very well! The one thing I would suggest would be to get some dynamic changes happening. I think it's mainly in the drums that this could happen - varying the sounds and drum parts would help a lot. Perhaps changing up the vocal treatment between the verses and choruses would be good too. For my own tastes, I think the vocal is too heavily effected in the verses. A nice up front intimate sound would be cool there and then the more effected sound works nicely on the choruses. Keep up the good work! --Lee[/b][/quote] Thanx Lee! Great suggestions. These are the things that happen when you do the drum programming, guitar, bass, vocals, engineering, ect. yourself in your bedroom. You get into a "that's good enough" mode and skip over important details just so you can finish it and hear a final product. The vocal is completely dry through the entire tune, and could have used some movement in various parts. Great idea! Thanx for taking the time. It's great to have objective, constructive opinions. Carmen :)

Sir Winston Churchill

[quote]Originally posted by radiantrecording: Carmen, great job man. I dig the drum sound myself. Good recording as well. There's not any signs of mudd in that recording which means you did a great job with the miking locations and EQ. I might get the kick & bass happening a little more though. Maybe cut back on the compression a little so the transient of some of the tracks hit you harder. My 2 cents. ------------- The Nikkie stuff sounds excellent as well. Great job. [ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: radiantrecording ][/QB][/quote] Hi Radiant! The only mic used was on the vocals and acoustic guitar, as the drums are a machine. I just started using a RNC on the outputs of the machine ( as a drum sub compressor), and I'm still figuring out the best way to use it, as it's so clean and precise. I've got to play with attack times. I tend to rush when I'm wearing too many hats, as no one else was involved in the recording but me. I thought it was OK for a 8 track minidisc. I've got some great advice from some "golden eared " people on this board, who were also very encourging. Thanx for taking the time to check it out, and for your kind words. Carmen

Sir Winston Churchill

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spigots: [QB]Carmen, If you did that in your bedroom, somebody needs to turn you loose in a nice facility!! A very full sound with minimum ODs, solid vocals, great guitar sounds. The drums need a little help, but I am very impressed. Keep at it. Frank Thanks Frank! I just got laid off Friday, so if you know a facility... ;) What I wouldn't give.... Thanx for taking the time and for the kind words, Carmen :)

Sir Winston Churchill

[quote]Originally posted by Mr Darling: [b] Lee Flier - I always wondered what you really do, and after listening to both track on offer I can say you guys really know your tech / engineering stuff.. Every thing is well recorded.[/b][/quote] Thanks very much! I do all the engineering so I do appreciate the kudos. [quote][b] It hard to comment on the songs since its truly not my preferred genre : You can actually hear the excitement in Backtrack (so there is an advantage with live players :D ) [/b][/quote] LOL... well thanks, we do love playing together, and we're only just getting warmed up! [quote][b]"Here with you" - sound much fuller and much closer to stuff I like. If your interested in my opinion though - your trademark harmonies (which sound good) will be much more special if they will be smartly introduced to make some section of the song stronger...[/b][/quote] Actually, the two MP3's we have up there now are cover tunes, which we recorded mainly for the purpose of getting gigs. "Here Without You" is an old Byrds tune and the harmonies were done the way they were on the original record. So, it's not totally representative of our sound in terms of arrangement ability, etc. We're working on recording a bunch of original tunes now, the first of which will likely be on our site sometime this week (although this first one is a real noisy, sloppy rocker so I don't know if it will be something you like - but definitely conveys much more of that "audible excitement" of live people playing together :D ), which will be more representative now that the band has had a little time to mature. If you like melodic songs with good harmonies, there will definitely be a couple of those in this new bunch we're doing. But anyhow thanks for listening! I do listen to a lot of the stuff people post. I don't always comment because if it's not a genre I like or feel qualified to comment on, I don't feel like it's my place. I only comment either if I like something or I have what I would consider constructive criticism! --Lee

Archived