Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

Spacebass, I think you need to add more "MFs." ;-) Really, it sounds pretty good to me but I'm not totally up on this genre and what the expectations are. MAYBE a bit more low end in the lower voice... be careful making serious changes based on mp3 feedback though, as the bitrate and processing, combined with the differences in everyone's playback sysytem varie so much. Steve Sklar/Big Sky

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for the input guys.... frank after listening to the track again this morning i am with ya....a little more mids and bring that solo down a bit :eek: i don't have acces to frequency keyable compressor so i must fiqure out something else.....any suggustions would be great! steve thanks for the mp3 quality reminder....i am just looking for ball park opinions....and as for the "MF'S" our singer is saying mother funker so get yer mind out the gutter :D

yeah yeah alpha yer right it is mutha funka....i only got 3 1/2 hours of sleep fur give me? it is basicly the same....what i gave you was just a rough off the console.......i droped the keyboard parts and some other "useless" things. we are just about finished with all the tracks so now i am getting into MIX MODE :o i'm really not that keen on mixing but i am the best person for the job (read the only person i can afford ;) )

Spacebass....i'm thinking the vocals feel disassociated from the track 'cause they're too loud (i'm not sure i'm a fan of the constant effect on the lead, but then the lead in general isn't my fav). i'd bring 'em back a couple db. and then [b]boost the rhythm guitar tracks![/b]. seems to me it should really drive the track ala RHCP style. i agree with comments that the inst.'s could sound fuller. i wouldn't add any bass to the vox though...if anything the opposite...as low as that guy is they're already in danger of being too muddy. sjonesmusic...i like the song 'Get it Together', but i don't care for the chorused direct sound of the guitar throughout. and i'm afraid i really hate :eek: the 'drums' that come in near the end. to me, a song like this would sound more alive with the organic band in a room feel (bizarre fx in and around this setting work fine). maybe you could spend more than a few hours on tracking/mixing for a change ;) i.e. the song deserves it... Macle..well, i'm still stuck with my feeling that you could move a little this way or that off the beaten path to find your own sound, but certainly another polished and pro job on the performance/production end. my 2...you know, i never have known where the hell you find a cents symbol on a damn keyboard... [ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Rader Ranch ]

Hello, I have been playing guitar for 20 years. I also play bass, trumpet, and keyboards with equal proficiency. My influences are: Jean-Luc Ponty, Earth Wind & Fire, Allan Holdsworth, Acid Jazz and World Music. Here is an uptempo fusion piece: [url=http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQh8ECQDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFKlnwEAUQEAAABDUk40PC6yJfhIPBjcQVPxnjWR4Fw-/Same_Fear.m3u]Same Fear[/url] Here's a happy funk tune with a dual lead melody: [url=http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQrUNCQDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFKlnwEAUQEAAABDUk40PDPfT_YwJADqQGG4Dfn9t2U-/Imaginary_Friend.m3u]Imagin ary Friend[/url] I am also on a project called "Silent People" with a GIT graduate friend. I play the leads at the beginning and the end, and trade off with the other player in the middle. Amazing drum work by an 18-year-old drummer augments this piece: [url=http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQqOaBwDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFJTeAEAUQEAAABD6hM1PItJ8jlUNSmtPvFzThPkkOI-/Eskimo_Schism.m3u]Eskimo Schism[/url] I am working on new pieces that I will post soon. I have moved towards a more rhythmic approach in my playing. I am interested in collaborating online or in person: Email me here: [email]jimmyjams2002@hotmail.com[/email] Thanks!

:eek: oops! Mp3.com doesn't allow deep-linking anymore! Here's the URL of my page again: [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/106/james_theobald.html]JIm Theobald[/url] please check out "Same Fear" and "Imaginary Friend" 'Silent People' is here: [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/96/joe_duran.html]Silent People[/url] check out "Eskimo Schism" thanks again!

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b] Stanley, Great playing! A little Cecil Taylor on "Fast But Not Furious" A little Creed Taylor production on "Fusion Bass Jerky" Sounded like Paul Motian playing drums with Don Pullen on piano on "Blooz in 12/8"...you know, just kind of falling of a cliff, but right there when it comes back around, egde of disaster, but totally in control...kind of thing... All MIDI studio? So how are doing the parts? Especially the free-jazz stuff... You managed to really capture the free elements in that environment... So your main instrument is piano? The guitar is what I wandered about... Anyway, thanks for sharing your music... Peace, Scott Jones Here's a tune of mine, where I sequenced all the instruments... [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/comp-fusion/Track04.ram]From Nothing[/url] -STREAMING [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com]www.scottjonesmusic.com[/url] [/b][/quote] Thanks for listening and commenting..I play everything on keyboard..imagine different personas for myself when doing instrument simulations,eg hold my breath when simulating wind instruments and visualise the physical gestures when doing bass or gtuitar..The guitar samples are mostly played through the SampleTank program from IK multimedia..I will go listen to yourmusic and reciprocate...It's great to relate to othermusicians this way...

[quote]Originally posted by Rader Ranch: [QB] Macle..well, i'm still stuck with my feeling that you could move a little this way or that off the beaten path to find your own sound, but certainly another polished and pro job on the performance/production end. QB][/quote] Hey Rader Ranch, how are you?! Well, I suppose one reason (another being that I really like it) that I may be overdoing that beaten path (or Beatle path), is cuz the few projects I've been in before were really not Beatley at all! Not only was it not what I really wanted to be doing, but people were getting the wrong impression of what I was about, so now, when people say Beatles, or Oasis, or any other of those that trample that path, it's great, you know. At least I'm getting closer to the right place!! Anyway, thanks very much for the thumb's up on the performance and production. Greatly appreciated!! Macle

[quote]Originally posted by Sjonesmusic: [b] Stanley, Great playing! A little Cecil Taylor on "Fast But Not Furious" A little Creed Taylor production on "Fusion Bass Jerky" Sounded like Paul Motian playing drums with Don Pullen on piano on "Blooz in 12/8"...you know, just kind of falling of a cliff, but right there when it comes back around, egde of disaster, but totally in control...kind of thing... All MIDI studio? So how are doing the parts? Especially the free-jazz stuff... You managed to really capture the free elements in that environment... So your main instrument is piano? The guitar is what I wandered about... Anyway, thanks for sharing your music... Peace, Scott Jones Here's a tune of mine, where I sequenced all the instruments... [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com/aufiles/comp-fusion/Track04.ram]From Nothing[/url] -STREAMING [url=http://www.scottjonesmusic.com]www.scottjonesmusic.com[/url] [/b][/quote] I listened to red sand,gtr solos 18,21 ,No Morer Mr nice guy.. I love the passion,drive and virtuosity of your playing on gtr and drums as well as the great group feel with the other talented folks with whom you play.. Your sequenced tune from nothing was not my favorite style but beautifully played... Incidentally I noticed that you have played with Justo Almaria ..He worked with my band in Boston and I think one gig in NY at the Village Gate in the 1970's .I loved him and his playing..a fiery conscientious player..Do you have a current address for him? thanks again for reaching out and giving me feedback..

[quote]Originally posted by jimmyjams: [b]Hello, Here is an uptempo fusion piece: [url=http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQh8ECQDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFKlnwEAUQEAAABDUk40PC6yJfhIPBjcQVPxnjWR4Fw-/Same_Fear.m3u]Same Fear[/url] [/b][/quote] You've been screwed by MP3.com: "Under your MP3.com Audio Hosting trial membership, you are not eligible to play this audio link. To access this stream, please subscribe to the MP3.com Audio Hosting service now and enjoy these benefits: "

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Chip - "Random detritus" yields a "dead deep-link error" . Looks like Mp3 is trying to make more money... Did you go to my page and check out the tunes there? [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/106/james_theobald.html]My page[/url] I hope you do... Thanks, and good day!

[quote]Originally posted by sagov@bellatlantic.net: [b] I listened to red sand,gtr solos 18,21 ,No Morer Mr nice guy.. I love the passion,drive and virtuosity of your playing on gtr and drums as well as the great group feel with the other talented folks with whom you play.. Your sequenced tune from nothing was not my favorite style but beautifully played... Incidentally I noticed that you have played with Justo Almaria ..He worked with my band in Boston and I think one gig in NY at the Village Gate in the 1970's .I loved him and his playing..a fiery conscientious player..Do you have a current address for him? thanks again for reaching out and giving me feedback..[/b][/quote] Thanks Stanley, Yeah Justo is a fine player, and as many chops as he has, he's always thinking of the context, always listening... I haven't seen him since those dates back in 1993 or 94, but I keep in touch with Tom Brooks, so there's a possibility... Anyway, I appreciate your time in listening to my music... Take care... Peace, Scott

Scott Jones, I don't really have any criticisms of your music...it's obviously done with love and respect for the music...I'll just say I enjoyed listening to it...I checked out just about everything you have on your site. I'm very impressed with your guitar playing, guitar is an instrument I haven't practiced near enough. If you have the time I would appreciate your comments on this short piece, I played Rhodes, Guitar, Fender Jazz Bass and a bit of Synth bass on the fast lines, my brother is the drummer: [b]"Notes" (2.8mb MP3)[/b] http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc It was written and recorded for the Keyboard Corner compilation. Any and all comments are welcome. [ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

I don't have enough misery in my life to write meaningful stuff. so I'm down to writing about the Super Bowl bound Pittsburgh Steelers. At http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Slappy_Johnson/ Recorded on a computer in Acid. Behringer mixer Johnson J Station Marshall mic Godin Solidac guitar '74 fender p bass Let me know what you think!

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]Scott Jones, I don't really have any criticisms of your music...it's obviously done with love and respect for the music...I'll just say I enjoyed listening to it...I checked out just about everything you have on your site. I'm very impressed with your guitar playing, guitar is an instrument I haven't practiced near enough. If you have the time I would appreciate your comments on this short piece, I played Rhodes, Guitar, Fender Jazz Bass and a bit of Synth bass on the fast lines, my brother is the drummer: [b]"Notes" (2.8mb MP3)[/b] http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc It was written and recorded for the Keyboard Corner compilation. Any and all comments are welcome. [ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ][/b][/quote] Steve, I just listened to your song "Notes"...! Impressive playing and composing! A very cool '70's fusion vibe! I loved the Chick-ish rhodes intro... the double lines were cool... Your guitar playing had a cool kind of Barry Finnerty circa-Brecker Bros 1977 era quality to it...not my kind of tone, but it really fit the genre... Some fun syncopation going on there within and around the first head... Nice keys and bass unison lines... Your brother sounded great on kit...! I loved the wah on the keys at the breakdown... That's a wicked-cool 5/8 section you went into, and your solo was killing...! Loved the thirds you developed into, great phrasing... And I loved the anti-climactic ending, sort of fell off a cliff in a fun way... Shades of old Brecker Bros, old Chick, Medeski Martin and Wood, and a bit of Cobham's band from back then...ALL great vibes... Thanks for pointing that one out to me... I'll try to listen to more later...as I have an arranging deadline to meet in the next 2 days... Awesome work! Oh, and thanks for taking the time to listen to my music... Peace, Scott

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/carmen118/lst?.dir=/Tunes&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/carmen118/lst%3f.dir=/Tunes%26.s rc=bc%26.view=l OK, I'l bite.. C

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Sir Winston Churchill

For your approval........ http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml& aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en C

Sir Winston Churchill

I'm not looking for any feedback on this really...just sharing...it was a rough songwriting demo I did for my wife in 1995. My wife Elly is the singer, I'm playing all instruments and singing backgrounds. The drums are programmed using a Roland R5. http://www.artistlaunch.com/elly

Steve, I checked out Behind Me - great tune. Elly has a beautiful voice. I liked the addition of the organ to give the second verse a flavor of its own. Is that real steel guitar? If not, it's a great immitation. Here are some suggestions. This is all one person's opinion... (1) The chorus needs to sound more distinct from the verse. I would (a) add high strings, (b) add a HUGE "reverby" snare sound, and (c) change the strumming instruments. For instruments, play acoustic on the verse and a clean electric on chorus, etc. (2) Consider doubling her voice on the chorus and/or adding a harmony part. (3) If it doesn't hurt the content, consider trimming the second verse to get to the second chorus sooner. (4) I would extend the ending just a tad. Instead of | I /// | I /// || I might go for | I /// | IV /// | V / IV / | I /// || Play some nice steel over that. I LOVE the way the vocal concluded - couldn't be better. Anyway, hope some of this is useful.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Is that real steel guitar? If not, it's a great immitation.[/quote] That was me doing my best imitation of my Dad (who passed away in 1995), I played his Dobro on the tune. As far as everything else you posted...well yeah, I know it could be more pro in a lot of respects...I recorded all the tracks for both songs in one evening and Elly recorded the vocals the next day. But that's why I said I wasn't looking for any criticisms. :) We did the whole thing for $200 before I had my own studio to work in. I do think with a good Nashville style producer (or myself with the right amount of time and money), maybe Trisha Yearwood singing, some lyric adjustment...this could be a great tune...a minor hit even. Maybe something like that will happen for it someday...it would be cool. I really just wanted to share the demos because I enjoyed pulling them out early this afternoon, hope you enjoyed it.

Sorry Steve, I thought you said you WERE looking for feedback. I read your message too quickly. I rushed to listen to the tune for that reason. :( As I said, it's only one person's idea. If you're shopping the tune to a producer, maybe it's best that you leave it as is so that they can make their own suggestions. Still, it's a very nice song and worth a bit of "finish." If I didn't think the song had so much potential, I wouldn't have commented on it. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Jimmy Jams: "Same Fear" - Steve Hunt like bass patch, interesting. I like the music, sounds like you've been listening to Holdsworth's _Atavachron_ and _Hard Hat Area_, with some Chick Corea maybe. I think the horn sound of the melody sticks out a little too much at the end of the first theme in the first section, but I like the synth sounds, which is a hard thing. The drum machine - I'd figure out how to randomize the open hat sound, or get rid of those accents, they stick out to me - otherwise the drum machine is transparent, which is good. I'd ease up on the mix compression maybe? The high end sounds restricted. I like the way the parts lead into each other. I also like you guitar sound, the Holdsworth-ish thing, I favor that as well. "Imaginary Friend" - Hmm.. the intro is a bit too dissonant for me. Hmm.. I'd program the drum machine to be late coming into the next section with the way it resolves the flat 5 sound of the intro section... The following section is kind of like late 90's Holdsworth Group doing a sort of Toto... I like the Holdsworthish guitar sound again... Your "chorus" has that "light jazz" Corea thing again, is that a conscious thing? Hmm.. I'd want the upfront stabbing keyboard bit panned in the center panned in stereo and brought down - and also not continuing through the entire piece. Sort of squashed mix again maybe? Nice legato solo, reminds me a lot of a friend that teaches at the store I teach at when he's thinking "Holdsworth". He also favors keyboard layering like you do, I'd be interested in hearing what you say your synth influences are.... Hmm, listening.. man, you do some things JUST like this guy, in fact I wouldn't be entirely surprised you weren't him in disquise... Your choice to do the natural minor tremelo-picked bit prior to the "chorus" is just like something he'd do... Interesting... Hmm. Are these drum machines sounds out of a Roland keyboard perhaps? Man, that's .... I swear, this would pass for something this guy would do. He's more into Steve Morse, but when that side of him is in repose what's left over sounds like what you do. Fascinating. "Water Spout" - ah, you must also like Jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatic Ocean"? You *have* to, I'm sure of it. I like the note groupings and melody. Hmm, something goes weird at when the lead guitar bit comes in? No, listening again... Curious, when I first heard the beginning of your first tune I had the volume low and thought I was hearing stuff out of tune... wait a sec.. the bass is sort hmm. yeah, playing it back, the bass is going sharp on the attack of some of the notes, that's bugging me. There's also something going on I think with some of your synth patches when you're playing along with it; I don't know what synth you're using for the horn patch sounds, but some Roland patches sound out of tune to me, and they get weird at the high end of the keyboard. I don't know if they're just tuned or if it's the guitar.. hmm. around 2:30 the pitch bend on the whole note pad is bugging me against the pitch bend on the melody keyboard part? Hmm. Around 3:45 when the synth stuff tones down ... yeah, you sound in with your bass sound, but the other stuff sounds sort of warbly? Did you record the synth parts with a synth guitar at 4:44 there's a tuning thing going on... anyhow, some bits seem to be "warbly", or maybe just or stretch tuned? Hey, uhmm. getting a bit ... odd there around 5:00... and further... Hmm. Synth guitar going into Cakewalk? Listening to the end cadenza, yeah, I'm hearing pitch warbles on the synth bits that sounds like pitch information coming off a guitar... Hmm. What's the song at the end of the first song? I've heard that before, I can't place it? Hmm. The organ patch is going flat after the attack a hair? Huh, it just glitched and it's now playing back the beginning again... yeah, Ponty, you like Ponty don't you? I like the bass playing, the time change, but there's the intonation thing... hmm. maybe the bass at one point? Yeah, when you go high... I'd like to hire jimmy Johnson or Tony Levin myself, but I stay away from fretless... I like the music you do, I'd go ahead and find a real drummer and maybe get some sort of pseudo-pro recording setup. Cool guitar sound, nice legato playing, nice Holdsworth-y vibrato embellishment. Listening to 4:40, 5:53 - I'd freak out and redo the whole thing with real drums, or more intently programmed drums, and arrange it "for real" and make a go of it. Man, but what's the theme of the tune afterwards from? Triple triple triple... dala la la la... it's like the chords and melody from... a Smiths tune???? Geez, that's going to bug me... sort of like that... what's that song by... uhg, 10cc? UHg... oh well. [quote]Originally posted by jimmyjams: [b]i get a 'duh' award ... that was my own link i pressed - i got to your page okay...[/b][/quote] ... and nothing? Oh well, it's not really there to be critiqued, anyhow....Supposed to be a snapshot of just a couple different things I did last year, nohting serious... If you listen to anything try "Learn to Count", it's just a spontaneous jam, but I let some Holdsworthy-things sneak out a bit in there somewhere, probably the closest thing to your tastes on there.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc: [b]I'm not looking for any feedback on this really...just sharing...it was a rough songwriting demo I did for my wife in 1995. My wife Elly is the singer, I'm playing all instruments and singing backgrounds. The drums are programmed using a Roland R5. http://www.artistlaunch.com/elly [/b][/quote] Very nice tunes Steve...! I wish you all the best with them... Scott

Thanks Scott. [quote]If I didn't think the song had so much potential, I wouldn't have commented on it. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.[/quote] No problem Dan...I do appreciate your comments. We recorded these for fun more than anything but I do recognize the potential of the songs, so we may record them again or shop them...who knows? Thanks again to both of you for listening.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Chip. As I noted before these are older demos that I just threw together. I have really been developing my rhythmic phrasing and employing more 'space' in my playing I recorded Water Spout before I had an internet connection at home, so i put it on cassette and dumped it ( from my walkman ) onto the cheapo computer at an internet cafe and uploaded it there. Hence the warbling. I also accidentally left that other piece on the end. Correct about Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean. Love that album. Destroyed several LP copies of it practising along with it. gotta go Thanks Much

Opinions???? Anyone?? http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=ccocchiaro&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml& Carmen

Sir Winston Churchill

Carmen, After a tediously long download I was pleasantly surprise by the sound of your cool song. Drums, bass, and guitars were nicely arranged and very well-recorded. The voice has a bit of New Wave abandon, and the tune is a lot of fun. Reminds me a little bit of the Ramones. Your voice reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it just now. Nice work! P.S. Why is your URL so long?

Archived