Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reluctant - live (first outing for the Avalon U5 too!)

alexclaber

Played a fun gig last night, just your typical somewhat dodgy rock music kind of pub - minimal PA (really sound bloke in charge though, which makes such a difference) - we were the second of three bands, being preceded by a rather good 6th form blues-ish band (rather like the early Stones 45 years later), and followed up by a reggae-esque outfit. The audience consisted almostly entirely of the first band's friends - ah, the joys of underage drinking... A pleasant change from the usual!

Caught our set on video, pretty decent sound all things considered!

(That's the first part of four, should you be gagging for more...)

Alex

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see a monitor on the stage anywhere.

When I said 'minimal PA' I really meant it!

Get a powered monitor.

I'm considering that. Might build a powered Wedgehorn.

And maybe sing a little higher. Your voice sounds better up there (when it's in tune :freak:)

My voice definitely sounds better when I'm not oversinging and when I'm in tune! Now if only that would happen all the time...

Alex

A little sax goes a long way. Even on jazz gigs, if the sax is honking away all the time it becomes quite irritating. Time for him to start doubling on keys or percussion.

Clean up or simplify a few more of the bass figures that you have to play while singing.

The voice is no less an instrument than your bass is and you need to be able to comfortably hear both to do your best.

Been thinking about how to power a monitor, looking at plate amps and stuff like that. Realisation has just dawned! I have a two channel power amp. It currently feeds 900W into each Acme but I could stick both Acmes on one side and share 1500W between them, which frees up another channel to drive a whole host of monitors.

Alex

Sounds like the right answer to me.

I've considered doing this with my Crown XTi, but haven't had the need yet. I'll be sure to keep it filed somewhere in the front of my brain, instead of buried under all that garbage that never gets used.

476 A.D. - Fall of the Roman Empire.... now that is some useful information!

Put more reverb on that sax. Best I've heard lend me a fiver yet! You really locked in with the snare that time. Try putting a bit of reverb on the sax. There are plenty of powered monitors around that you could just plug the mic into and then link out to the mixer. Did I mention I think you should put some reverb on that sax?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Been looking at powered monitors and they're not that cheap. Being a rather stingy individual I'd like to minimise my costs, whilst also avoiding excessive gear acquisition. I'm thinking one of those tiny mixers with built in reverb could work nicely - I presume I could also make junction boxes to split the mic signal to go to the FOT and monitor mixers separately? The Wedgehorn may be an ugly beast, and not the easiest build but its specs blow away the competition at a much more palatable cost.

So, do you have any suggestions for the sax, Tim? ;)

Alex

If the sax is in the PA, just turn up the reverb in his channel. How hard could that be? Otherwise get him a Alesis Nanoverb or something like that.

My Fender powered monitor cost $249.99 US and I'm very happy with it. I also bought a splitter box so that the volume settings of the monitor don't effect the volume settings of the PA and vice versa.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm trying to get my hands on a Mackie SRM-150 (apparently shipping has been delayed, and no one yet has them in stores) ... I'll let you know once I have anything to say about it, by comparison to the Fender.

So, do you have any suggestions for the sax, Tim? ;)

Alex

No not really I thought it was all very good. Maybe it could do with a bit of reverb though.

I'm not really a fan of effects for effects sake, I usually use just enough reverb on recordings or vocals to add a bit of presence. But last year I walked into my local and there was a solo sax player, playing and singing to backing tapes.

My first thought was man thats seriously overdoing it on the reverb mate! Bat after a couple of tunes my ears go used to it and I began to realise what added dimension it was actually making.

I just thought that you could use that considering you only have the guitar to add thickness to your sound.

We have backing vocals and keys as well so I try not to overdo the sax reverb, but it is definitely an add-on rather than a subtlety.

Archived