Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthpop

Can someone point me in the direction of some good, new (or relatively new) synthpop/electropop? I'm looking for some stuff along the lines of Goldfrapp, and Ladytron, but maybe a little more Vince Clarkeish -- and the more analog, the better.

thanks!

Jonathan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, I hate to self-promote, but we are in the vein that you mentioned, and can also recommend a group who were on the circuit with us until they grew too big for San Francisco: The Lovemakers.

For my own originals project's link, see the posting at the top of this forum for forum members to link to their commercial CD's.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

To paraphrase Sven Golly: "Allmusic" is your friend.

Go to allmusic.com, search on the artists you like (Goldfrapp and Ladytron), and check out Allmusic's listing of "similar artists." Then, find a way to listen to the music of those "similar artists" (e.g., through iTunes) to see if you like them.

Just a thought. Sorry I couldn't answer the question the directly, but my knowledge of synth pop ended in the early 90s.

Noah

If you like Goldfrapp/Ladytron, a couple others come to mind:

Air

Imogen Heap

Trentemoller

Scissor Sisters

Feist

Royksopp

A little more driving, but still synth-laden pop:

The Bravery

The Killers

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Do The Killers really qualify as "synth pop"? Yes, their music is pop that contains synths, but to me "synth pop" connotes something different from The Killers (especially given the OP's reference to things "Vince Clarkeish"). Then again, this is why I hate labels when it comes to defining musical styles.

Noah

Noah,

I agree, which is why I said "synth-laden" rather than "synth-pop." I never know where to draw the line on things like this, so I just threw them out there as well. It's all about degrees. Both The Killers and The Bravery are much more guitar-driven bands than the others I listed. More like a cross of the gothic rock of the '80s (think Sisters of Mercy) and synth-pop.

Anyway, YMMV.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Archived