Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Vaughn

revolead

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha, alright sorry for putting words into your mouth, or keyboard or whatever.

Alright, so now we've turned to SRV-bashing

Funny, you just bashed Avril Lavigne. When you can write a song which gets as much airtime as Complicated, come talk to me.

Again, airtime does not = good. Fergie got a lot of airtime with "My Humps," and thats all I'm going to say about that. And you bring up this thing some people have where you suggest one has to be an artist of equivalent stature to have a negative opinion of something, which is just not how art works. I can dislike a painting although I lack the technique to make anything as good as it.

Also, Avril Lavigne did not completely make it by her own merit. A label picked her up, hooked her up with a songwriting TEAM and professional musicians & a producer, and was able to support her music with massive press & payola, legal or otherwise. I give a lot more credibility & respect to an indie band who does everything on their own, and builds up a fanbase by touring, as opposed to buying lots of press with $$$.

Labels do not give out deals because your brother is a good guitarist. He made it to where he was for a reason.

Labels are interested in making money. They'll give out deals if they think they can make money. They were able to make money off of JV "for whatever reason."

And Millo: Yngwie blues is hilarious.

Don't get me started with Jimmy Vaughn. He showed up at a show we did in Houston, guitar in hand, uninvited, plugged into an amp and proceded to suck.

If he plays more that 4 notes in any single run it is by accident. He looks like he is going to die every time he bends a string and his personalitly matches his guitar skills.

You can show me a million videos or listen to a million tracks with him playing and I will not change my opinion. He is riding his brothers coat tails. Now the question is, would I? I am not sure.

As for the CAPO, I use one a lot when I am using 2 guitars. Makes it easier to go from one open tuning to another with out retuning the guitar.

Peace - and I normally am never that harsh

Goodness gracious, I saw this thread and thought it was an old one resurrected - nope, a brand new one! I really thought we had buried this dead horse. :deadhorse:

Some of us like him, some of us detest him. Got it.

I personally thought his work with the Thunderbirds was just fine, and "Family Style" with his bro is great - and I am sure both contributed. I have never seen him live, so I'll just go with what those who have seen him have to say. I'm no pro, I'm just a hobbyist, so take it with a grain of salt.

But, I think, along with politics and religion, maybe discussions of Jimmy Vaughn should be closed. ;)

John

You can make all of the SRV substance abuse explanations/apologies you want, but at his worst, SRV was crap. At his best, ("Texas Flood" before drugs, "In Step" after), SRV is deserving of the praise he gets.

Where did you get that "Texas Flood" was "before drugs"?

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Don't get me started with Jimmy Vaughn. He showed up at a show we did in Houston, guitar in hand, uninvited, plugged into an amp and proceded to suck.

If he plays more that 4 notes in any single run it is by accident. He looks like he is going to die every time he bends a string and his personalitly matches his guitar skills.

You can show me a million videos or listen to a million tracks with him playing and I will not change my opinion. He is riding his brothers coat tails. Now the question is, would I? I am not sure.

As for the CAPO, I use one a lot when I am using 2 guitars. Makes it easier to go from one open tuning to another with out retuning the guitar.

Peace - and I normally am never that harsh

Yep and the capo also lets you do all your simple low scale riffs above the capo when you can't manage uncapoed riffs up the neck.

And you bring up this thing some people have where you suggest one has to be an artist of equivalent stature to have a negative opinion of something, which is just not how art works.

Huh...where do you get that from?

And again I have to be told that airtime does not equal being good. C'mon guys.

My take on it from all you said about Lavigne's path to success is that you as a struggling to get huge Indie band are somewhat envious of how it fell in to place for her, because you have not yet been able to generate that much hype.

And when it does happen and you have bidding wars going on and everybody is shmoozing you up the ass and it gets beyond where you and you bandmates can deal with it and you have to get an attorney and all of a sudden it is in a zone you don't fully understand but at the end of the tunnel of confusion you see........big $$$'s, tours, studio, CD release party, everyone kissing your ass, hanging out with big stars, a houses on both coasts,fancy cars, Rolling Stone magazine showing up for tea, free drugs, free everything, endorsements, Guitar Player magazine...etc etc etc

At that point, you gonna go with the flow or what?

You can make all of the SRV substance abuse explanations/apologies you want, but at his worst, SRV was crap. At his best, ("Texas Flood" before drugs, "In Step" after), SRV is deserving of the praise he gets.

Where did you get that "Texas Flood" was "before drugs"?

John

Texas Flood was recorded on studio time donated by Jackson Brown, based on SRV&DT's first appearance at Montreaux. Texas Flood was recorded before they were signed to Epic. I'm sure SRV and the band were dabbling in recreational substance abuse at that time, but it wasn't until AFTER they were signed and the advance money started rolling in that they really jumped onto the drink and drug lifestyle.

Watch or listen to the "El Mocambo" show, and compare it to "Live Alive". You can hear it in their playing, in SRV's singing, in the patter between songs. The time from "Couldn't Stand the Weather to just before "In Step" is the "high" point, (no pun intended), in the SRV&DT drug period. I'm sure there were some personal demons that they managed to express while drugged up, but there is NO way "Riviera Paradise" could have been written or played by somebody stoned. The drug years might have had an influence on SRV musically, emotionally & artistically that gave him the tools needed to create "Riviera Paradise", but I can only imagine what he might have been capable of had he not taken those roads.

Without fail, (SRV is no exception), stoned/drunk/high/wasted musicians perform crap music. When SRV was stoned, his worst material was, and still is, worse than anything JV has put out.

YMMV

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Archived