Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on new 64-bit Apple?

Hmm, 64-bits. Possible corrections for bad math and converter code in the future? Better AD/DA in the future? Plug-ins? Native? How long and how much? How much better will it sound? This raises a lot of questions. Perhaps, some of you will add your thoughts. Here's a link: http://www.macosrumors.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the best of my knowledge, the 64 bits refers to the processor architecture, and not to any other part of the machine. There is a fuzzy memory in my brain of some DAW software packages using 56 bit internal math, so a step up to 64 bits would probably be achievable with relative ease. I'll bet that the real limiter of audio interface bit depths has been disk space and "what can we interface this with?" Not to mention that we've (I think) hit the end of what an analog input stage can be made to handle. (We can make a digital system capable of handling 144 dB of dynamic theoretical dynamic range, but I think the best op amps top out at just a touch over 100...I think.) -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

I think analog tops out at around 130 to 133db. There is a new 130db DAC out from Burr-Brown. Should be good. From what I can gather, the big problems with the AD/DA has to do with jitter and distortion, and bad math and bad C++ code. The 24-bit word also appears to be a limiting factor, cuz you only get to effectively use something like 18 bits. Anyway, with better chips making their appearance, hopefully, it will all result in better sound quality, higher track counts, etc, etc, etc. Thoughts?

64-bit will be a good thing all around, however: Not until *everything* is 64-bit. That includes the rest of the hardware, and all the software, including OS, Apps, wrappers, etc. Eventually it will all shake out, but expect that for a some time we'll see 32-bit apps running on 64-bit architecture in a great many cases. In 5 years or so, everything will be cool :thu:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Super 8 Cool pic of the venerable Apple II. I have not seen one of those for awhile. Could be awhile before we see the full benefits of the 64-bit stuff, then again, things keep getter better and faster all the time. Look how far we've come from the old 8-bit Apple II and its Motorola 6502 and DOS 3.2! A great old box for its time, mostly all done by one guy!

More Apple and IBM 970 info: http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000071.php here's an interesting quote from the article: "The plant contracted for assembly of the new 15.4-inch Powerbook has just now begun manufacturing production Powerbooks with the PPC 970 processor."

These are very exciting rumors indeed. History shows that it is always a good idea to take any Mac rumors, no matter how "reliable" a source whatever web site claims to have, with a coupla pounds of salt. I'm tending to put a little more stock in this current crop, though, as Apple simply must do something very soon to make a significant update to their pro line. Of course, when all of this eventually comes to pass, I'll feel like I have the smallest willie on the block with my puny Dual 1GHz quicksilver. *Sigh*

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I hear these things, when they become fully implemented, will blow the doors off anything AMD, Intel, etc, have. Esp since it will all be optimized for sound and pictures. Perhaps people will be producing things like "Toy Story" in their homes. We'll see. Imagine the next Academy Award or Grammy being won by a guy who did it all in his bedroom. We'll see about that too.

I could go for an IA64 system about now, I just wish I had the money to fork up for a Solaris (or is it Sparc/UltraSparc?). Phaeton, by the spelling of your handle and your avatar, I'm guessing you are an *BSD user, what have you heard about that OS with 64 bit systems?

groove, v.

Inflected Form(s): grooved; groov·ing

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

[b]I could go for an IA64 system about now, I just wish I had the money to fork up for a Solaris (or is it Sparc/UltraSparc?).[/b] That would be UltraSparc. You can actually pick up U5's on ebay pretty cheap, and they are considered a great "entry-level" Sun box. Most are EIDE drives, but the SCSI ones are orders of magnitude better performance-wise. I don't have a *ton* of first-hand experience with Sun hardware, but it is certainly top-notch. Probably because most Sun equipment i've seen is like "Configure it, plug it in, forget about it for 10 years". And since they've been doing the 64-bit thing for decades the hardware (and Solaris OS) is mature, well implemented and truly 64-bits wide from chips on up to applications. (Sorry Apple, you won't be the first in the 64-bit arena). Mind you, it's a RISC architecture, so it's not exceptionally "responsive" like x86. But it's not as sluggish as Apple's RISC, and not for the same reasons. (Sorry Apple folks, the "RISC does more in less steps!" argument Jobs has been feeding you is a lie). Think of x86 as a gasoline V8 in a passenger car, and USparc/Solaris as a diesel inline 6 in an over-the-road truck. Sun is all torque. Sparc/Solaris machines don't seem as fast initially, but you can dump tons of load on them and they don't really slow down much, if at all (except for the EIDE models when they fall into swap). This is pretty much why if you ever look at the credits of any CG Movie ever made (toy story, monsters inc, walking w/ dinosaurs, etc) you're going to see credits for either Sun Microsystems, SGI, or both. They use clusters of these things to shave the 100,000 machine-hours of rendering down to say, a couple of weeks. And of course, Sun and SGI boxes have always been the leader in superb graphics capabilities. (Sorry Apple folks, you've been lied to again). But you probably already know that Sun/Solaris is pretty much what makes the internet go round. These boxes are bulletproof, outlast anything, and are several orders of magnitude more stable than pretty much anything. [b] Phaeton, by the spelling of your handle and your avatar, I'm guessing you are an *BSD user, what have you heard about that OS with 64 bit systems?[/b] Well, i use Debian Linux, Slackware and FreeBSD on x86, so i don't have much first-hand experience with them on USparc. At work we've got a few colocated Suns (mostly Netras (and a smattering of Cobalt Raqs, but they don't count)) and they all run Solaris. But i hear that all 3 BSDs and most linux distributions work quite well on UltraSparc. In many cases, they are even much more robust and stable, and the *BSDs str8-up fly on USparc. There is a huge mess of 64-bit GNU apps for these OSs, but i think a lot of stuff behaves like 32-bit in places that it won't matter (i mean, what benefit is 64-bit [b]cp ls rm ln ps touch[/b]? :-P) Something i *do* have first hand experience, and you could get ahold of inexpensively is Solaris on x86. However, i will not particularly recommend this because, although Solaris is a great SysVr4 UNIX(r) implementation on USparc, the hacked-up 32-bit Intel version is really crappy. Crappy performance-wise, crappy in lack of supported hardware, crappy in minimal amount of software available, no dev-tools (although GNU tools are 100x better) and various other things. It is stable though. - UNIX(r) is a trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries.

WWND?

Thanks man, I am a strait up linux person (Slackware 8.1 is on my computer at the moment). I have disks for FreeBSD 4.5 but haven't succesfully installed yet. 64-bit touch command? definitely that would come in handy :)

groove, v.

transitive senses:1a.to make a groove in;1b.to join by a groove;2.to perfect by repeated practice;3.to throw (a pitch) in the groove

intransitive senses:1.to become joined or fitted by a groove;2.to form a groove;3.to enjoy oneself intensely;4.to interact harmoniously

- groov·er noun

Thats gonna make some people made at GNU.

groove, v.

- groov·er noun

Dang, posted in the wrong window, thats a first

groove, v.

- groov·er noun

Gee, I can't remember who was the first to do 64-bit. Was it Sperry, Cray, IBM? Massively parallel processing? Thinking Machines, BBN? Over 4000 8-bit processors tied together. Can't remember that either. Well anyway I think it was one of those big mainframe companies who was 1st out there with 64-bit. I guess it was Sun who was first out there with RISC. I could be wrong, often am. And yeah, sure Sun and SGI would be great for doing music apps, but I suppose Apple is in a little different market segment. Let's hope these new boxes from Apple do right by the music community. We'll see.

[b]And yeah, sure Sun and SGI would be great for doing music apps, but I suppose Apple is in a little different market segment. Let's hope these new boxes from Apple do right by the music community. We'll see. [/b] I dunno about Sun/SGI and doing audio apps. But as far as Apple and the music community, i have faith in that they will do well. ;)

WWND?

Jeez Phaeton ... Apple have been lying to us? I'll have to go back to Microsoft then :p
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Nah, forget opteron, I wanna see the [url=http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/]Earth Simulator[/url] turned into a DAW. 40 Tera-floating point ops in a second with 10 Terabytes of memory? yeah buddy: [img]http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esc/eng/GC/b_photo/esc11.jpg[/img]

groove, v.

- groov·er noun

Archived