Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Def Leppard + Styx + Foreigner in concert!

Gruuve

Man, another good one in my area! Raleigh on Aug 21, we will be snagging 4 tickets when they go on sale in two days. Yeah, I know these guys are old...but so am I! This is what I grew up listening to. Not really any stellar basslines to be absorbed, but this is some great music IMO...really brings back some good memories. Somebody give me some hairspray! :whistle:

On a side note, Rick Allen (DF's drummer) is really, really admirable in my opinion. Any drummer (or musician period) who can lose an arm, then re-train himself to play using the limbs that are still available is amazing. It's not the re-learning that's the amazing part though...it's that he had the wherewithall to actually do it. How many of us would have simply given up at that point? Even if you totally detest DF's music, you got to really admire that guy for his conviction to not quit.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could go for some Def Leppard. Maybe even Styx. Foreigner, not so much.

Saw Def Leppard and Tesla "in the round" at the old Charlotte Coliseum in the late 80's.

Good show, good times. I was hot, sticky, and sweet. From my head to my feet, yeah!

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Def Leppard in the round in the Kings Hall Belfast on the Adrenalize tour remains one of the best gigs I have ever attended. The show was absolutely electric both band & audience.

The way it opened remains the single most exciting start to a gig I have ever witnessed. There was a mix tape of rock tunes playing over the PA after the support band (Gun from Scotland, they had one great track "Steal Your Fire".) Then on came "Coma" by Guns N Roses, this tune starts with a heart beating and ends with the squeal of a heart monitor alarm, the track is about 11 minutes long. Except at the gig there was no squeal, the heart beat returned. Most people at the gig didn't really notice at first but they caught on as the curtain that went around the stage rise up. The lights dropped, the lasers kicked in and as Joe Elliot announced "Welcome to my show!" the excitement was incredible.

I got to see Styx with Kansas YEARS ago.. GREAT show! Steve Morse was playing with Kansas at the time, WOW.

DL had its hayday.. I like their older stuff much more than the new. Foreigner, I wouldn't wanting them to close the show IMO.

Have a great time!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Yeah, this ought to be a very good time. The friends we're taking with us were bandmates a decade ago, and we all grew up listening to this sort of music. Like I said, it all brings back some good memories.

I'd be your lover, if you were there.

Put your hurt on me, if you dare.

Such a woman, you've got style.

You make every man feel like a child, oh...

Ya know, some of DF's lyrics are somewhat silly/playful...but then some are quite passionate, like the lyric above (I doubt I need to name that song). I've had to look up some of their lyrics...Joe Elliot's vocals can be a bit difficult to understand sometimes.

Here's some more that I think are quite passionate (from "Two Steps Behind"):

Take the time to think about it.

Walk the line, you know you can't fight it.

Take a look around, you'll see what you can find,

Like the fire that's burnin' up inside me.

And there's a magic running through your soul.

But you can't have it all, no.

(Whatever you do) Ill be two steps behind you.

(Wherever you go) Ill be there to remind you

That it only takes a minute of your precious time

To turn around, Ill be two steps behind.

The acoustic version of this song just smokes IMHO.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

My sister is a big Def Lep fan. I went with her to see them a few years ago. They did put on a good show. Rick Savage doesn't play amazing bass lines, but holds down a nice & steady pulse, and is a good showman. Vivian Campbell & Phil Collen played well together. They had a new album at the time; and from listening to it in the car on the way up, I thought it was decent for what it is. Would have liked for them to have played more from it; but it was 1 or 2 from that, then most of "Pyromania" and that era. "The classics" I guess? Still, a fun time.

Enjoy, Dave!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived