Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

House Concert - Steve Lawson

Davo-London

I found out through a freak LOBSTER collective mail that Steve was playing in my home town. Well I had to go and drag Phil W and my drummer with me. It was a charity evening and the hostess put on some beer and grub and Phil and I sat on a sofa and listened and watched Steve play a set from 2 yards away.

It was excellent, Steve plays so effortlessly even chords on his 6-string fretless, that it may me rethink my technique, even though I am a light player. He played with a great sense of melody.

Well done Steve

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a fun time that was! Thanks Davo, I am indebted. It was a very comfortable place for a gig reclining on the sofa with Steve's music emitting from the monitor behind my left ear.

You were right, he is such an apparently effortless player. Compared with that, I struggle with my instrument. Beautiful songs, beautiful playing. Steve played a lot of fretless last night.

Steve also managed to entertain with his unique between-song banter . Chinchillas, the merits of transplanting goldfish genes into humans, awful minor politicians, 'From Dusk till Dawn' and Snoop Dog but mostly on the relation of his music to death and bereavement.

I was struck on listening to a solo gig at this length how little repetition there was in terms of personal licks and cliches. I've always preffered players that avoid repeating the same melodic ideas. However, in my primitive experiments with solo bass I can't help recognising little rhythmic patterns and groups of notes that I use over and again. It's to Steve's credit how musical and inventive his music is . . . it's really more about the music than the bass.

The hostess did a charming job, I enjoyed the food, drink and company and hearing the gig in that environment was special.

If you don't know Steve's music, check out http://www.stevelawson.net/home.shtml

You deserve to hear him, he has a little button for a 'greatest hits' radio on his site. Steve's off back to the US soon for a lengthy tour so check out his itinerary.

Davo, as you may have gathered, my gig tonight was cancelled - apparently the landlord's wife passed away.

23 May 2007 20:00

Low Down Sound, Detroit (clinic/masterclass) Detroit, Michigan

24 May 2007 23:30

Mickey Finn's Pub, Toledo Ohio Toledo, Ohio

25 May 2007 21:00

Quinn and Tuite's, Grand Rapids, MI Grand Rapids, Michigan

26 May 2007 20:00

Four Friends, Grand Rapids Grand Rapids, Michigan

I'm looking forward to have the chance to go and see Steve.

His music is not always easy at first listening, but it gets more and more addictive with the time.

Hope to see it soon.

Nice pick Phil, and nice review too.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

23 May 2007 20:00

Low Down Sound, Detroit (clinic/masterclass) Detroit, Michigan

24 May 2007 23:30

Mickey Finn's Pub, Toledo Ohio Toledo, Ohio

25 May 2007 21:00

Quinn and Tuite's, Grand Rapids, MI Grand Rapids, Michigan

26 May 2007 20:00

Four Friends, Grand Rapids Grand Rapids, Michigan

Are you kidding me?! Hold the phone, because I've got to clear my calendar for this! It would especially be an enormous tragedy if I missed the masterclass in my own backyard!

Phil/Davo - really great to see you two at the gig, thanks so much for coming. What a fun evening! Great food, lovely atmosphere, and, er, me! ;) Methinks Sally will be doing more house concerts in future...

Ric - look forward to seeing you at the Low Down Sound date - please come and say hi, and bring your friends! :)

cheers,

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Archived