Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

active electronics/pick-ups

Vistajohn

Kites are fun to play with as well.

You have wind? We don't have any wind? I like kites but they need wind.

:D

Rocky :snax:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...hmm.... what kind of knobs do you guys have?

TWISTED !

The Post of the Day award goes to Rocky.

Thank you Jeremy, I feel a real member or the Forum now.

I'll put your compliment up on our mantel for all to see. :thu:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

OK, bottom line to this thread from my perspective is to believe that those who have active vs. passive pick-ups seem to perfer the passive option. All the other options for changing the sound then come from options other than the pickup. The bass, treble, and other paticular "knobs" (twisted or otherwise :) ) that come with your bass and then onward take over. Have a good weekend...

Let's get something clear here.

Active pickups are different than an active preamp. Your Carvin has passive pickups (I'm pretty sure) and an active preamp. The active preamp is giving you boost/cut control of three EQ bands.

Active vs passive mode on your bass has to do with whether you are bypassing your active EQ or not. In passive mode on your Carvin, the bass-mid-treble knobs shouldn't do anything at all to your tone. Being in passive mode is doing nothing to your pickups.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well, That's interesting. This is why I read this forum. You have painted a clear picture, Thank you, I just learned something. So, the "active mode" allows the bass-mid-treble (EQ bands) knobs to work, in "Passive mode" they have no effect but, I have the option to which pick-up to use and to blend them for tone. Cool dude....

Let's get something clear here.

Active pickups are different than an active preamp. Your Carvin has passive pickups (I'm pretty sure) and an active preamp. The active preamp is giving you boost/cut control of three EQ bands.

Active vs passive mode on your bass has to do with whether you are bypassing your active EQ or not. In passive mode on your Carvin, the bass-mid-treble knobs shouldn't do anything at all to your tone. Being in passive mode is doing nothing to your pickups.

Peace.

--SW

Are you saying, that if it is switched to passive, that turning the EQ knobs will not change the tone? Or, do the pots act as a passive bass? The pots on a passive cannot boost a signal, only cut it?

Benjamin Franklin

Archived