Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

active electronics/pick-ups

Vistajohn

I haven't had a bass with electronic/active pick-ups for a while. But I have a new bass and I'm noticing that the sound was becoming disorted, sort of, when I played through my Sans Amp RBI rack mount. My thinking is the signal is getting too much boost from both the bass pick-up and the pre-amp. The sound was hot, which makes sense then starts to thin out. (hard to explain) I thought I might need to change the batteries, which I did. I relized the weaker batteries sounded better than the new ones. I meseaured the voltage, the older set read about 8.6 volts and the new batteries read about 9.5 volts.

When I pull out the knob to release the active pick-up and changed to passive function the sound was fine. Does anyone bypass the active pickup fuction all together and use other means to boost the signal? Or, just play without the electronic pickup function at all?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the sound I get with the small sans amp bass driver di. I play a Fender P Bass through a 12" SWR for my resturant gig and small rehersals and the extra boost works well. Much deeper, fuller tone. My issue is with a Carvin Bass with the electronic pick-ups. I was supprised how the active pick-ups affected Sans Amp pre-amp in a negitive way. I was trying different set-ups with the different toys I have just to see what I could come up with for the ellusive sound I want. I was curious if anyone else had any issues with the active vs. passive pick-ups in creating their sound.

I gather that from your response that you do not use the active pick-up option?

I have had several active basses over the years, mostly Fender Jazz and Precision Deluxes. I really prefer a passive bass. The tone difference, while different, holds no apeal to me. Also I'm too cheap to buy batteries. :)

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've got active basses and passive basses and two that can be switched to operate either way.

I like the passive sound better. I use the active sound only when a drastic change in tone is required. I also used the trim pots inside the basses so that the active volume and the passive volume were the same.

If an active bass is affecting a Sans Amp device in a negative manner, it is because the active bass is putting out too strong a signal. There must be some way to adjust the bass volume either with the master volume or with an internal trim pot or a way to adjust the input sensitivity of the Sans Amp. I've never used anything like a Sans Amp, so I don't know. The only direct box I ever use is a Countryman.

That's interesting, that you like the passive rather than the active sound. I would of thought the active would be the default thinking. I might have to agree though, from what experience I have it actually seems to make the signal too hot and I spend more time trying to soften it up or change it in some way. Of course unless as you mentioned a "drastic" tone change is in order.

There might be a trim pot on the circuit board inside the bass which will allow you to turn down the output of the preamp and match the level of the active output to that of the passive.

I can't see it in the picture, though.

http://www.carvin.com/images/product/501B1.jpg

Aha! The picture shows the top view. The trim pot is on the other side, the side that faces up when you have your bass lying strings down with the back cover off. I just opened up my Carvin LB76. On the circuit board there is a small violet-colored square component with a yellow circle with a cross on it in the middle. That yellow circle is the trim pot. Put a very small screwdriver in the cross and turn it to the left. That should solve the problem (if your bass has the same or similar circuit board as mine). I believe that in the picture it's the black thing on the bottom of the pot on the lower left.

review of Carvin bass mentioning high output of the preamp.

Jeremy, you are too much :) I hope they pay you for your posting time! I did take the back off and saw a very clean set-up but nothing that would seem to indicate an adjustment that would be so obvious. And, Getz76, I've played with the knobs in different positions. The two that work the pick-ups are right below the volume knob. The first knob regulates the choice between the top and middle pickup and the knob below that regulates between the two pick-ups above and the bridge pick-up. I generally keep them to center position. There is also a switch that I was told makes the center pickup more humbucker type sound.

I have found that battery failure is the second-most-common reason for bad, lifeless tone (the first is my fingers ;) ). My bass has the Demeter on-board, which is made without the passive bypass.

I've enjoyed some of the tone shaping that's available with an active preamp, but my next bass will either be passive or have the passive option. I don't have any trouble managing the battery life, I'm just not convinced that I need it (or need more than the one active bass). That said, my bass can sound very nice.

Thanks to Jeremy for the picture and advice.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Of the basses I've had, three of them have been active. I almost always just ran the active basses flat anyway, so I'm really not a huge fan of having active EQ on board.

I've just pulled the active pups and pre amp from my new Warwick Corvette, and gone totally passive, and I'm much happier with both it's tone, and the simplicity of it.

:thu:

Passive is totally cool. I suspect there are a lot of folk who find a sound and then just stick to it. I know I do. However, the treble roll-off tone pot does not give the same control as a 2 or 3 band EQ.

I just thought the pro-active lobby needed a voice.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I had an OLP MM3, 2hich was passive, and I got an OLP TOny Levin to replace it, which is active. I like the Levin better. I think the active EQ is better for 5 string basses, it hellps push that B string's sound out better.

But for four strings, I am partial more towards a passive P Bass. I recently came to love a Squire Fretless Jazz(the Jaco-looking one) string B-E-A-D, but it's the first Jazz bass-type instrument that I ever liked.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Of course the treble roll-off pot doesn't give you quite the same versatilityas a 2 or 3 band EQ.

You're absolutley right Davo.

...That's actually one of the things I really like about it :D

I'm not saying Active basses are bad - there are lots of great players making fantastic music with them. Just that I've discovered I don't really like them.

...who find a sound and then just stick to it.

I'm continually amazed how many different tones I can get with a vol/vol/tone configuration, and different technique ;)

Far more than just one sound and sticking to it.

A little pickup blend here, a little tone tweak there, move my fingers a little ;).

It's amazing the different tones one can find just by modifying your right hand technique alone!

I just like it passive. I know it sounds corny, but I think it just feels more like "me".

:D

We can go full circle here and talk about vol/vol/tone versus vol/blend/tone, which was my first ever post. But i'll resist ... it's hard ... but I can do it.

Actually I like both. But don't tell anyone. I'm officially in the pro-active lobby.

Peace

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I notice on my spector that the signal is too strong, just a matter of adjusting in on the volume pots.

I own two active basses, My first one was passive a Jackson, so not so good example, and I didn't really liked the bass. I have to try other models tho.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

And, Getz76, I've played with the knobs in different positions. The two that work the pick-ups are right below the volume knob. The first knob regulates the choice between the top and middle pickup and the knob below that regulates between the two pick-ups above and the bridge pick-up. I generally keep them to center position. There is also a switch that I was told makes the center pickup more humbucker type sound.

So you have no tone controls on this active bass?

Oh yea, lots of knobs. It includes a knob for for bass and treble, a knob for each of 2 different pick-ups, 1 knob for blending the 2 plus 1 pick-up and 1 knob to order pizza. A total of 6 knobs and 1 switch (I'm not sure what the 6th knob does). Ya think there are too many options???? I do like my P Bass, a volume knob and a tone knob. My kind of choice to make.

And to follow up, I called Carvin and explained that I think the active option is too hot and they helpfully said to bring it in and they will have the tech take a look at it. They are nice guys...

Rino_Rob, that is an interesting illustration. Way back when Jeromy mentioned that there might be a way of adjusting the ouput, I opened up the back and what I see in the illustration is what I have. Hmm. They are small plastic crosses, one for each string and two more. Looks like the two are the adjustments for the pickup outputs and can turn with a phillips head screwdriver. What do you think, is this something I should do, or should I just take it in to Carvin?

A trim pot looks like it uses a Phillips head adjustment (cross-shaped) but usually you just use a small screwdriver.

That's cool that there's a trim pot for the output of each string...a very hip feature.

You can't hurt anything by turning the pot....keep track of where it was before you start fiddling and be gentle.

Or drive up to Carvin (since they offered) and watch them to see what they do. It'll be a nice field trip. It's a little too far for me to drive there so I can watch too.

Oh yea, lots of knobs. It includes a knob for for bass and treble, a knob for each of 2 different pick-ups, 1 knob for blending the 2 plus 1 pick-up and 1 knob to order pizza. A total of 6 knobs and 1 switch (I'm not sure what the 6th knob does). Ya think there are too many options???? I do like my P Bass, a volume knob and a tone knob. My kind of choice to make.

So... perhaps you could maybe tell us how you have your bass and treble knobs set. Are they in the middle? Are they maxed out?

I like my bass and treble to be on the dry end, I don't like treble, sharp, hot, I like round, deep, only sometimes punchy. Without trying to be a smart-ass, I like my bass to sound like a bass....

And, I'm thinking field trip. I've had this bass 2 months so its still under warrenty. Anyway, as most, I like field trips...especially to music stores!

Archived