Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD Drives - Which one?

A new sample library we are getting requires a DVD reader - I don't have any DVD experience beyond the home player units. Does anybody have the goods on best models, stability, ease of installation, etc... Thanks, Dogfur
Woof!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had no problems with any of the DVD drives I have: Creative Labs (!), Samsung DVD/CD-R/RW combo, and Sony DRU-500AX. Plextor CD-R/RW tends to get talked up alot for reliablity, but I don't think they are in the DVD biz yet. I do recommend a DVD burner - something in the Pioneer DV 105 family (same drive is branded by other companies, and is sold cheaper sometimes than the Pioneer brand), or the Sony DRU-50AX(which writes both -R/RW and +R/RW formats - confused yet?). DVD storage/backup/authoring sure is fun.

They are practically considered disposable. You'd probably be fine with the cheapest one you can find, unless you want it to be quiet, that's probably the biggest difference between them, some are annoyingly loud when they spin.

They're all pretty good nowadays. Hell, I have a no name 52x CDR-W ($50 from Fry's) that shows up device manger as simply 'CDR-W drive' that works great. I don't care who makes it as long as it works.

Thanks for the input folks - Yep its' the VSL. The distributor Ilio specifies to NOT use a combo R/RW, just a reader for stability purposes. My first thought is that they don't want a writer and their product in the same room. I think we'll grab a couple o' cheap readers and see what happens. Thanks Again!
Woof!

[quote]Originally posted by Dogfur: [b]Thanks for the input folks - Yep its' the VSL. The distributor Ilio specifies to NOT use a combo R/RW, just a reader for stability purposes. My first thought is that they don't want a writer and their product in the same room. I think we'll grab a couple o' cheap readers and see what happens. Thanks Again![/b][/quote]but if you stuff the VSL disk in the writer, you can't write... I haven't seen (in my un-scientific survey) any performance hit between any of my DVD units, even with (limited) streaming of samples.

Archived