Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did you ever not want to play a song?

Ross Brown

The lyrics of that song don't offend me. I wouldn't even blink an eye about playing it. I'm just saying that if one of my band mates had an issue with it, we wouldn't play it. End of story.

I'm unoffendable, but I would refuse to play certain songs if they came up on a matter of principle. I'll leave it at that.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Song is not that great anyway, in my opinion. No, it doesn't fit our style. I won't be a jerk about it, but probably won't have to be. I am of the school that if anyone has a problem with a song, then we don't play it. There are plenty of songs.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

You already know what to do: talk to your bandmates about it and I'm sure everything will be fine.

I've covered the song in question multiple times - and with a female lead singer no less. The song rocks in that stupid frat-boy mentality sort of way.

I don;t think bands work well as democracies. You have to decide things by consensus, not by majority vote.

Talk to the rest of the band, they may not even be really aware of how strongly you feel about it.

+1 to the above

Peace

Paul K

ps I did quit an 18 piece Big Band 'cause I just couldn't play "Satin Doll" and "Makin' Whopee" one more freakin' time!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Heard the song before, I don't think it's anything special. To me, if it weren't for the 'crazy bitch' line, it probably wouldn't get any air play. It's been awhile since I heard it, but from what I rcall, it isn't even dancible, to me anyway.

I've always felt that out of the milllions of songs available to cover, there should be no problem finding 100 that all members find acceptable. Although, if your product is specialized like say 'top 40, 2002 to present', that could be a problem.

But I feel like you, I wouldn't play it. You will have to decide where you draw the line. If you add that to the list, what might the next step in that direction be?

Hmmm...I'm not all that offended by the lyrics to be honest...but then I did grow up in the 80's, and what else was there to sing about in pop-metal other than sex and drugs, right? There are places I wouldn't want to play a song with this type of lyrical content, but the only one that immediately comes to mind is church! Is it a little adolescent? Yup. Would a drunken crowd jam to it? Probably. I guess I'm just saying that I've certainly heard much worse lyrics.

That said, if you feel strongly about it, tell them and I'm sure they won't mind moving on. Tell them sooner rather than later though...don't wait until folks have spent time learning the song and feel some sense of ownership in the undertaking.

This reminds me of a really out-there metal band that one of my old bands opened for in Wilmington, NC probably 15 years ago or so. The band's name was N-U-DEEP. These guys were just comical...the lyrics were all really crude, they would do some pretty lewd things on stage with a blow-up doll, etc. Before they started playing, they would tell say something about anyone who is easily offended should leave now. I still remember their speed-metal cover of "Achy Breaky Heart"...I was laughing so hard people had to pick me up off the floor. They definitely drew a crowd though...

And of course then you've got those more subtle artists...like "Ferga-licious Fergie", Madonna, PussyCat Dolls, etc. ;)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

It was! Imagine "I don't think it would understaaaaaaaand" growled with a Pantera-type vocal...it was just too hysterical to describe.

I remember once over a decade ago we really wanted to play a Mother's Finest song called "Like a Negro". Great tune, killer groove, awesome bass line, roaring guitar, jamming drums, monstrous vocals, and a danceable song on top of all that...however, we were very concerned that (since we were a bunch of white boys and girls) that any African-American persons in our crowd might not know or catch the gist of the song (it makes fun of white rappers) and thus be offended by it. We decided to not do it.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Ross,

I recently left a band (I was lead vocalist only) that played that song, as well as a few others that I didn't want to do for the very same reason you don't. I left the band for that and other reasons, but I think that if anyone doesn't want to do a song for any reason then the band shouldn't do it. There are just way to many songs out there to play songs that one of the group doesn't want to. Plus if they really know how you feel about it and are good guys why would they want to put you through that? I wouldn't. Go with your gut dude.

Ken

If I look at it, half the set list from the group I am in would be cut if I spoke out about them. Common ground is tough to meet on.

I would LOVE to do Sir Psycho or any Chili Peppers song for that matter BUT it'll get knocked down faster that a rubber clown at a kids birthday party.

I go with a majority rule. If HALF the band 50/50 doesn't wanna do it.. goodbye. If they win... just make a little comical 'disclaimer'.... "Hey peaople! This next song reminds the singer o so much about his Mom that we just HAD TO DO IT!!!"

Again 50th anniversaries and sweet 16's are out. (Although the kids would probably like it)

ONWARD!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Indeed, I keep wanting to cover Pusherman by Curtis Mayfield but I don't think a white guy can get away with the "I'm the nigga in the alley" lyric and various substitutions sound lame. Why weren't my more recent ancestors born in Africa dammit, I've always wanted an afro and it would be nice not to go pink whenever the sun deigns to appear over this cloudy island. We're all from Africa originally of course, but that argument doesn't seem to pass muster...

Alex

Last night at rehearsal we went through the new song list. I asked if anyone minded if we don't do that song. Drummer said he didn't care, lead guitarist said he thought it was offensive too and happy not to play it. Lead singer thought that we would get requests for it. Everyone chimed in and said there will also be other requests that we can't fullfil. No big deal for anyone, crossed it off, added Mary Had a Little Lamb (SRV). Kinda funny to replace it with a nursery rhyme, but I didn't say anything...
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

The only time lyrics like that bother me is when I'm the one expected to sing it. We did NIN's Closer as a gag last year for a special 90's set, and the keyboard player and I both refused to sing it. The guitar player stepped up, and it was fun to break out all the effects.

Now, there are a TON of songs I do now that I absolutely can't stand. It's the curse of playing a lot of 80's synth-pop, where I have to fake keyboard lines. Sometimes, it's a complete snooze-fest. There are others I hate, but the crowd goes bananas...Blister In The Sun comes to mind. So I do them, and try my best not to let my annoyance shine through.

Alex, you could "Freddy's Dead" instead, I think it has a better groove anyway. I also quite enjoy playing "Move On Up".
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Indeed, I keep wanting to cover Pusherman by Curtis Mayfield but I don't think a white guy can get away with the "I'm the nigga in the alley" lyric and various substitutions sound lame.

You could always be "that limey in your alley."

Or is that offensive?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

You could always be "that limey in your alley."

Or is that offensive?

You see, that's just it, no other word I've found has the right sound and vibe. Limey just sounds kind of lamey. It's like you can smell those centuries of oppression and resentment coming through, you know? Brilliant album, one of my favourites.

Alex

P.S. I guess 'illegitimate son' would work quite well if I had a working class Mancunian or Scouse accent...

If it violates conscience, don't do the song. If the guys in the band don't understand, you'll hsve to decide if your conscience is more important to you than the band.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

There are several songs that my band plays that I really do not like, simply because I don't like them or feel that they don't fit us stylistically. But we play them anyway, and I give them my all.

To me this is just what it means to be a professional.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

What basshappi just said.

If a lot of us only played songs we liked, we would never work again.

And sometimes by playing songs that you would otherwise never listen to, you actually learn to appreciate them and maybe even like them.

The reverse is also true, if you have to play a song that you love every night for the rest of your life (which can happen to you if you have a hit), you may end up hating it.

After recording an album and spending hours and hours of listening to the same song over and over on the playback, you might want to not want to hear the song again for quite a while.

How often do you go back and listen to your own old recordings?

Nothing is black and white. In my opinion it would be more unprofessional to play a song like this, in the settings that I will likely be in, than not to. Also, this is a classic rock band that plays (hopefully) once a week or so. We don't make our living doing this. There are certainly other situations in which the rules would be interpreted differently. Maybe a hired gun would take it in stride. I bet there are still songs that everyone of us would refuse to be part of, but that would vary from person to person. I would play songs I don't like (and I do). I think it is more about class and setting in this case.

It is not unprofessional to not be willing to play a song due to lyrical or even musical content.

The intent of my post was to "check the weather" on this topic. I like to know if I am going against common practice or not (in any situation). I really appreciate everyones opinions and experiences. In this case, it was a non-issue for our band. We do seem to work by consensus now that we have what appears to be the right mix for all of us.

I'm with you also Ross! I also checked out the lyrics and would not even think about it unless the lyrics were changed. I'm not even crazy about the song title. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what you believe in regardless. Bandmates especially should support that!

I went and saw Marilyn Manson at a small club in Dallas before they made it bigtime. I thought the music sounded great but, the lyrics totally sucked. The lyrics were so bad (negative/unpleasant) people were leaving!

Funked up Dollie Parton??????

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Like a Negro -Great song!

I have that CD.

I know what you mean though. A song like that works best sung by a black singer, mocking racial stereotypes as it does. There are a few songs like that.

Indeed. Having any African-American person in the band would have made it do-able...just not so for only a bunch of white boys (and girls).

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Nothing is black and white. In my opinion it would be more unprofessional to play a song like this, in the settings that I will likely be in, than not to......

Agreed, I was not implying that there are settings in which certain songs would be inappropriate. Furthermore, if someone in the band has a strong objection to a song, then it might be best to find another song.

In my own band we have dropped songs because of our singer having objections to lyrical content. In other cases he has simply changed the offending lyrics.

Nothing wrong with that.

What I meant in my first post was that should a person be overruled by the rest of the band, then he should play the song with every bit of commitment as the rest of the songs in the set.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Yes. I would not play a song poorly (on purpose) as a means of passive resistance. That would be unprofessional, I agree. I also ran this past another bass player that plays in this area. He said that he didn't think anyone would request it either, bassed on his experiences around here (with classic rock venues).

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd recall this thread, since I was recently at one of my best friends' 40th birthday party and when the song in question (Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch") happened to pop up on the iPod, I think every lady in the room was bumpin', grindin', and shakin' booty (and with any guy who happened to be within reach). Crude and raw? Yup. Offensive (particularly to women)? Apparently not. Every female I know who has heard the song loves it. (Granted, maybe I have an unusual sampling to pull from. :cool:) I guess it depends on how you interpret the lyrics, eh? They could be viewed as quite flattering or quite offensive. I personally enjoy it when they are viewed as quite flattering.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this. If I were in a cover band who wanted to play the song, I'd be all for it...but then I am kinda finding myself dropping unnecessary inhibitions as I plow into my 40's. :freak:

Cheers,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Interesting, Dave.

When Brick House came out, we didn't want to play it because we though it could be offensive. Now we're still playing it 30 years later....and women all run out to the dance floor thinking that the song is about them. Go figure.

One singer who with I am working sings, "46-34-46, I like big girls," in place of the original lyric. Audience members who hear the line always smile.

Archived