Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why I Sold My Kawai ES4

Jazz+

There was a lubrication problem with the action. I hade two Kawai ES4 keyboards and the same thing happened with both of them. They use a big gob of white lithium grease to lubricate the front guide pins of the black keys. In my home it sometimes gets 90 degrees, that plus daily playing caused the grease to slide down the front of the black key guide pins. That resulted in a disturbing clackity noise when playing the black keys. I learned from "Puff" on the Piano World forum, who had the same situation with his ES4, how to open the ES4 and re-lube the pins, which gets rid of the clacking noises and makes the black keys feel and sound like new again. But that takes about 2 hours and I didn't want to keep having to go through that ordeal because over time the grease slides down again. So I sold it.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jazz+, why did the PC2X and Motif R get kicked out of the fold? ;)

Clackety keys adds more percussion to the sound. :P:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jazz+, I have an ES4 and I'm thinking of getting a Roland FP4 because of it's light weight (I use a GEM RP-X module for piano sounds).

I like the action on the ES4 a lot. You have (oops, had!) both keyboards. Are the actions similar?

Bill

So Jazz, do you have anything that can use the SRX12?

That's part of what I meant by lean :confused:...

Maybe you want to part with your M&H too. You know I'm looking for one.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

The actions are different, the FP4 is stiffer, has a faster key return, and the keybed bottom is a little deeper than the ES4. I prefer the dynamic control and the Piano 1 on the FP4. Like the RD-700SX, the FP4 piano has a dark tone but at the same time it has that resonant high frequency metal string ringing sound that I don't hear with Kurzweil, Yamaha, and Kawai. I guess they sampled a Steinway rather than a Yamaha or Kawai.

My SRX-12 and SRX-11 are in a XV-2020.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived