Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Tokyo music stores

EdMusic

In a few weeks I'm in Tokyo for a day and have about 8hrs to spare. As time is limited does anyone have specific information where to buy Roland gear? I already learned that the Ochanomizu area is packed with music stores, buy they all seem to be guitar related.

I'm planning to buy at least the SRX12 classic EP card to fit my RD700sx as I expect it to be a lot cheaper than in Europe.

Suggestions and tips are welcome. Thanx

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother in law goes to Tokyo all the time and always makes a point of visting the music stores! From what he says they are multi level super experiences. I think you shouldn't have any trouble finding plenty of keyboard related stuff.

Funnily enough my brother is flying over there right now. If I remember I will try and get in touch with him and get the names of some good music stores. He is harder to reach when he's overseas though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I actually just got back from Tokyo last week! What a crazy, groovy place.

Ochanomizu is dubbed the "music instrument district", and the main street there is littered with guitar shops, and one or two violin and brass shops. I play guitar as well, so that was not disappointing at all, but yes, I didn't find many keyboard shops there, surprisingly.

I'd recommend visiting your local Ishibashi stores. They're the large(est?) chain music instrument retailer in the country, and all the ones I visited have a very nice keyboard section. You can access the English translated version of their website here:

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/

In particular, I remember the Shibuya shop well, with a lot of Roland gear (as well as a Hammond XK-3, Korg CX-3, Nord Stage, Nord Electro, Access Virus TI, a vintage Fender Rhodes Suitcase, a Rhodes Stage, and even a Rhodes Bass!).

Archived