Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

workstation choices please help

born2die

Hi after my recent posting I have decided to go down the new route but with a limited budget and it is getting confusing so I am now asking for help and advice from the guru's here.

i am looking for a board that has decent piano samples some arps and a sequencer that can at least loop. I am crossing over from arranger style playing to more piano based but I would like to keep some of the functions from the arranger idea. I would like some form of chord recognition accross the whole board IE it makes the chords out of what notes I am playing. some drum tracks and if poss some backings for the rythm.

I also need this to act as a sound source for my fatar controller so key action is'nt top of the list but I have read somwhere that the MM6 struggles in this area does someone on here know about this.

If there are any glareing choices that I have overlooked please let me know. The budget is £400uk I know I could look at ebay etc for a used motif, x50 But I am unsure about ebay as I bought an arranger off there six months ago and it has just gone bang so I am dubious about used gear as this will have to last me for a good few years.

Choices

Yamaha MM6

Good looking keyboard some good functions but it does seem limited IE. no support for slashed chords, No ability to store user patterns, only a few of the motif sounds, But I do like the idea of bieng able to play the whole board piano style and it fills in rythem and bass parts in it also seems to have a good if limited appregiator

Roland GW7

I dont know much about this board so any help please

Or do I leave my comfort zone go without pre set backings learn to use cubase and buy a korg X50 which is just in budget. I know that it doe'snt include a sequencer but on the yammy mm6 this is just a sketchpad anyway.

many thanks in advance

Tristian

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m316/born2die75/roland_junogsiggy_dw.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tristian,

A few things about the MM6. It has two fingering modes for the chords: multi and full keyboard. Assuming the modes are the same as the Tyros 2, in full keyboard mode you can do slash chords. For example if you played a C triad with the right hand and a E bass note in the left, it sees that as C/E. You can pretty much do all the slash chords as long as you separate the chord and the bass note. This is assuming full keyboard mode is the same on both, but it appears to be. This can be confusing as there is a mode on the Yamaha arrangers called Fingered on Bass which will use the lowest note played as the bass of the chord. This is nice if you're playing in split mode and doing chords with your left hand. Make sense?

Also, when comparing the MM6 against the original Motif it actually comes with more sounds, though less drum kits. I don't know how the FXs match up. Still it looks pretty close.

Motif:

Preset: 384 normal voices + 48 drum kits

GM: 128 normal voices + 1 drum kit

84MB ROM

MM6:

Preset: 418 normal voices + 22 drum kits

GM: 128 normal voices + 1 drum kit

70MB ROM

There is also the new Yamaha PSR-S500 to consider. More styles. It seems as though it would be in your price range.

Busch.

Hi thanks bush. I guess that I am a little afraid to leave my arranger routes behind and get a little creative. i know that it will be a big step going alone but I think I need to do it to further my crativity.

after a bit more looking I think that looking at s/h from established online shops gives me a little more freedom of choice but also more questions than answers.

After looking around I think that an early motif 6, Roland x50 or a triton/trinity are in reach but my experience with proper workstations is a little limited to non existant.

I know that all of the above boards come with a sequencer and I am assuming that they all have a loop functionality along with some arps to play with but above all I do need a good convincing piano sound and the ability to add some backing only if its drums to start with to the pieces that I play then learn how to sequence as I go along.

I think taking this route will help me deepen my theory knowlage and even if it takes a couple of years to master, a better sound than an arranger at the price I can afford now and more bang for my buck.

I have heard that the triton piano's were terrible if so how bad are they and also what is the difference between a triton, Triton le and the trinity as I have seen a lot of reports that the trinity is the better korg board but not a lot on the differences between all the triton variations. Also how is the reliability of the touch screens on the tritons.

again many thanks

tristian

I have definatly now narrowed it down to a used workstation either the trinity, Triton, Fantom, Motif or roland x50 or 80.

Can anybody give there opinions on these boards as I am not going to get to audition them and I need to get this right. A great piano sound, Appregiator and a loop function on the sequencer are a must though

again many thanks

tris

Sound is subjective. Still, in your situation, I would consider a Motif6 classic (used) or MM6 (new). :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

In general, the Motif is considererd to have the best sound and the worst interface for sequencing. Sometimes I like my Motif and sometimes I drives me crazy. The Fantom and Triton are both very easy to sequence. I would not consider the XP80 since you can probably get a Fantom 76 for the same price.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Acoustic piano is not good on the Roland XPs, and there's nothing you can do expansion-wise to correct that. The sequencer does easily loop though and except for the 50 is easy to use considering the 1990s size display. Native piano on the FA-76 is no better than a Session-equipped XP, but at least you can put SRX-11 in that one. A huge piano upgrade.

Your choices should really be between the Fantom, Motif and Triton as they are the top of the line for what your considering and the others models you mentioned are prior incarnations. Personally if you can live without a great pianos sound, I think the Triton will offer you alot. The Motif will also be one to strongly consider if your looking at the original models and not the next generation ones. If your into electronic, dance or hiphop I would go with a Triton. If you need good accoustic instruments than I would go with the Motif. Just my opinion.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Thanks for all the replys i think that I will run with the motif as a first option as i need a good piano and acoustic sounds and I cannot se me getting into dance in the near future.

Now all I have to do is to find a good one cheapish.

again many thanks for all the replys

tristian

Archived