Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trading SVT4Pro for head/preamp, suggestions?

JonathanD

I tried the search, but didnt get much.

here is what I will be using. Bass-tech 21 programable-(unknown pre)-digitech BNX3-(unknownpre)-(unknownpoweramp)-Eden210 4ohm 500 watts rms, ampeg 210 4ohm 400 watts rms, and maybe adding an acme lowB2 at 4 ohms.

I am looking into selling my Ampeg SVT4pro for a pre/poweramp combo. Reasons include, looking for less weight, and more versitility from the amp. I dont use the EQ on the amp(well sometimes I might decrease the bass if I am in a small room.) The only think I use is the effects loop... and even that is being used less and less. I dont even know if I will want a pre...

So what I am looking for in an amp:

clean and flat,

good head room for the cabs mentioned,

below 40lbs,

able to do stereo with 2 ohm loads, bridged mono 4 ohm(would be great if I could get a 2 ohm bridged mono).

2 rack spaces or less, maybe 3 if I dont get a pre, but I would rather go small.

I am not looking for an expensive amp. This is for live not recording. But I am willing to spend what I must to get the job done.

So, any suggestions on what might fit this. I know I dont like crate power amps. I have no experiance with anything else besides peavey which seems way too heavy. I have heard good things about QSC on this forum(may be the wrong letters.)

---------------------------

As far as a pre amp goes, I think I will just have to get out and play them. Maybe you can help narrow my search with this info...

Dont know the differance between tube and SS to say one way or the other. I ahve liked some tube presand not others.

I do know I will need an effects loop with stereo possible.

2 channels would be nice(1 for each bass so that I can match volume)but are not needed,

compression,

3-4 band EQ.

I would like some versitility in sound, from funk to hip-hop to metal and blues. I dont know what will give me that until I'm turning th eknob and hearing it... maybe you can give me some pointers.

Thanks, Jonathan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jonathan:

For preamp samples, I'd say go listen to all the preamp samples on www.basstasters.com ...they have quite a few. That's how I ended up choosing a BBE BMax over my default choice (which would have been an SWR Grand Prix since I was coming from an SWR SM-900 head). Preamps tend to be quite colorful, as do cabs, so listen to all of them, narrow it down to ones you like most, then burn a CD with the samples on it and listen through some good stereo systems, studio monitors, whatever you've got available. Take the sounds with a grain of salt of course...they'll sound a little different with you playing through them, but at least it gets you in the ball park.

For power amps, the QSC PLX series is a popular choice, and it's reasonably light. I'm not sure the QSC RMX series is as good a choice for bass guitar, and definitely avoid the Behringer RMX copy (I had one of those for about 3 days before I sent it back...it was defective out of the box). Many folks also swear by the Stewart World power amps, and I know there's at least one guy with one of the newer Crown STi series amps (maybe Nutt will chime in).

I think going the preamp/power-amp route is inarguably a very flexible and cost effective way to go. I sold a 15 year old SWR SM-900 head (800 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms) and replaced it with a slightly used BBE BMax preamp + slightly used QSC PLX-3002 (3000 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms). Total cost of switcheroo: $27. Satisfaction with rig: priceless!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Wow, I read about the PLX2 series and it looks great. I think the 1802 or 2502 will plenty of power. I like the 33 HZ cutoff. Also, I forgot I like to use a limiter. I always leave the limiter on and don't think about it much.

There sure are a lot of preamps to check out. I like the bmax, but I need the effects loop option. I actually like the ampeg SVPBSP. But ampeg doesn't even have them on their sit anymore so I will have to watch the bay. its kinda hard to tell what these would sound like because I cant play my bass through them. I will have to try and find one at a GC or somewhere else and try the BSP.

Thanks Dave.

Pull the manuals on ones that you like and put some study into them. The BMax actually does have an effects loop...IIRC, it either expects a -10 level (pedal level) or it's a wide enough range to accomodate -10 through +4 (pedal level through studio effects level. I believe it's pedal-level though...I recall that it wasn't locked to studio effects level.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Two years ago I replaced an SVTIII with the solid state BMAX and a Carvin DCM600, and I soon forgot all about that Ampeg. The BMAX does have an effects loop. I use mine to insert a 30HZ high pass filter. If you have that feature in your power amp, thats great. My experience tells me you will need it... Ebay is a pretty good place to find one for a little better price than the Friend.. I was able to pull up a specific search and find all of 'em available.

Archived