Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eeprom replacement

Hey Craig, I noticed (and read) your article over on "Keyboard" about Eprom replacement. That's exactly what I need some information on. I just agreed to buy an EMU e64 from a guy up in Monterey, and found out after the agreement that the unit has the old 1meg eeprom in it. I will need to upgrade that to the latest 2meg chip in order to update the EOS (Emulator Operating System) to 4.01, which is what Emu's tech support says is the optimum OS version for the e64 (despite the latest being 4.6). I've done this on PC motherboards before, and know that the executable that flashes the chip will only recognize certain brands and chip-numbers. I know I can buy the chip from EMU for $90 or so, but I was wondering if anyone knows what actual chip they're using, and whether I can just go to my local electronics supply place and buy the chip there. I even have a spare 2meg chip ABIT sent me for another motherboard....it would be pretty cool if that chip was compatible with the e64! So, does EMU use an industry-standard chip, or is it proprietary?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume you have an EPROM Burner. If not how do you plan to program the blank chip? ------------------ Mac Bowne G-Clef Acoustics Ltd. Osaka, Japan My Music: [url=http://www.javamusic.com/freedomland]www.javamusic.com/freedomland[/url]

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

As a matter of fact, we have two of 'em at work (I work in a defense industry electronics manufacturing company), but that's not how the e64's flash chip is programmed...... ....it works just like a motherboard,...you download the latest Operating System from EMU (just like you download the latest BIOS code for your motherboard's BIOS chip from it's manufacturer), put it on a floppy, and you flash the e64 from the floppy, just like you flash your motherboard from a floppy.

Archived