Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gaffer Tape

mcbn

For the record, the new search function didn't turn up any threads specifically about gaffer tape.

After hearing about gaffer tape being the most awesomest tape in the universe from member such as CMDN (our most prolific user) and getz76, I decided too add some 2" gaffer tape to my latest gear order. I got 60 yards of black Hosa brand tape.

I'm a long time user of duct tape and 550 cord. If you can't fix something with that stuff, you don't need to be fixing it. I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with gaffer tape. I've used it for 2 purposes in the week that I've had the stuff.

Use #1: I had gig #2 with my new band Saturday night. I used the gaffer tape to tape down a couple set lists and cables that were on stage. The stage was really small and as a result I had plenty of slack in my cable that mostly ended up underneath me.

I taped my instrument cable down near the pedalboard to keep it from getting unplugged if I got my foot tangled in the cable. I think I'll do this more often as it worked great. It will also keep me from unplugging myself if I find the end of my leash on bigger stages.

The gaffer tape left no adhesive residue on the cables and it did a good job of holding things to the carpet on the stage.

Use #2: I had to tape a note to the front door of my house for a utilities crew that came to work on something in my yard while I was out of town. My door is a solid oak door that has been stained. It is susceptible to damage and certain types of tape can actually pull the finish away. I figured I'd use the gaffer tape to do this.

The result: No damage to the finish on my front door and no leftover adhesive.

Overall impression: I really like the texture of the tape as well. It is more of a cloth tape that really feels nice. It doesn't have a "plastic" feel and doesn't reflect light like some duct tapes do.

While this stuff is more expensive and not as readily available as duct tape, it is definitely more suited to our purposes as musicians.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-2-Gaffers-Tape-60-Yards?sku=421439&src=3SOSWXXA

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/9/0/316590.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, praise the holy Gaffer Tape!

The photography department of my old magazine job used to order extra gaffer tape just for me--I was buddies with the head of the department. What a sweeeeet deal. Of course, I don't work there anymore, so my supply has dried up. I actually have to buy it myself. Horrors.

Anyway, I have used gaffer for everything from fixing the carpet in the van to holding my old guitar case together to finishing the edges of my old band's merchandise display to.. yeah... covering the headstock of my bass. The fact that it is non-reflective and totally residue-free is a HUGE plus. Much stickier than duct tape, too.

BTW, you can always tell someone is a music pro if they have gaffer tape in their gig bag. And you know you've been gigging for too long when you have a roll of gaffer tape with your name on it--because everyone always steals it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

If something can't be fixed with gaffer tape then it's not worth fixing. You can even patch up your jeans with it.

The only time I've ever known it to fail was when a stoner flatmate of mine decided to go camping. His tent consisted of black plastic bags glued together and he tried to gaffer tape the "tent" onto the dirt and was mystified when the tape didn't take. :grin: Fortunately, he eventually found a patch of concrete and managed to tape his tent down.

For the record, the new search function didn't turn up any threads specifically about gaffer tape.

For the record, the new search function doesn't turn up any threads specifically about much of anything.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Gaffer tapes use as the only required item to repair just about anything, is great.

Getting gaffer tape off of cables everyday (which I have to do as part of my job) is a freeeeeekin nightmare!!

Need to keep cables down? BUY SOME CABLE CURB RUBBER!!

:-)

Archived