Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Fragile IS Plastic, Really..?

All I can say is try throwing a typical Boss pedal at drywall. Now throw a Danelectro or Zoom pedal at the same wall. After you fish the Boss pedal out of the hole in the wall you can plug 'em all in and see which ones work. And before you plug in you can see which ones are intact. :P

Ummm.... what the hell have you been doing around your house, Neil? :eek: :grin:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remodeling with effect pedals, of course! :P

:D

They must have been modelling pedals. ;)

Actually, that sounds like it'd be a fun "shoot out" for some guitar mag. They could drive trucks over FX pedals and throw them down quarries and so on. They could call the article "World's Toughest Overdrives" or something. :grin:

In a way it's been done many times before. Except instead of effects pedals they test the tank of all tanks in pro audio... The Shure SM58. :thu:

A typical competition allows contestants a chance to throw the SM58 at a wall or the floor in an attempt to be the first to break it beyond sound passing from diaphragm to output. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

In a way it's been done many times before. Except instead of effects pedals they test the tank of all tanks in pro audio... The Shure SM58. :thu:

If you find one of these stuck in your wall, make me an offer. Otherwise, I'll be buying a new one next week. :grin:

Good luck with that, Revo, but I've put my foot through one of those DIY Radio Shack boxes and have had others literally get crushed between heavy gear. In the former case, it was because the switch hole shattered under the pressure of my foot. They work for many projects, but unfortunately they're not as durable as I would need for any kind of footswitch.

How long ago was that? I can't imagine one breaking that easily. I took power tools to one (for making holes, etc.) and it held up just fine. But, good to know anyway.

I'm not nearly as hard on my gear as most people though, so that probably makes a difference. My amp has not left the house in about three years, and I have Boss pedals that look just as good as the day I bought them. It's not that I don't use them or don't play enough. I just like nice stuff. I mentioned that about my guitars too in another thread awhile back.

Shut up and play.

Neil,

My plastics post was pretty much a primer on how far plastics have come. We have Mach 2 aircraft that have almost more "plastics" in them than metal.

It is a matter of $. What case can be made the cheapest and hold up the best for the money.

I remember the first stomp boxes being made of folded and screwed metal. You can still find a few around.

Peace.

I know... just pointing out that cheap comes first in the world of MI retail. They could easily build effectively unbreakable cases from plastic but the cost would be far more than anyone is willing to pay. Steel is a cheap substitute that works well for most, so don't expect it to change any time soon. ;)

You may have heard that automobile fender benders cause far more damage (in $$$) now than in the past. These are low speed collisions. My hypothesis is that smaller cars making more efficient use of space in the engine compartment yield more damage to the engine in a frontal collision. But an inescapable fact contributing heavily to this trend is that the wonderful, strong, light-weight plastics used for body parts cannot be reformed as was often the case with aluminum or steel body parts. Minor damage requires either no repair or complete replacement. And those high quality plastic parts are not cheap. Unlike technology, the costs involved in creating plastics have not dropped exponentially over the years.

Funny you should mention the folded, screwed metal cases. I have the guts of a Morley A/B-C pedal mounted in just such a project box. An engineer at Morley sent me most of the parts when they ceased production and ran out of completed pedals, but still had several circuit boards available. ;):thu: The metal is relatively flimsy, but it's held up ok because I cut down the box to a nice, flat sandwich with short height.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived