Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Overdrive pedals

Derrick1642607670

Hey I need some recommendations for some overdrive pedals, I have been interested in an overdrive pedal for sometime but Im having a hard time choosing (closest to bluesdriver) I play anything from blues to hard rock and mainly need an overdrive that be used as a clean boost or add a little gain or vibe to my sound. Sorry if im not being very specific thanks for all your help

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been using the Boss Super OverDrive (SD-1), which is very similar to the Blues Driver. I like the three controls (level, tone, drive) and the variety of sounds I can get - and it still sounds like my guitar, rather than like a fuzzy synth. This is definitely NOT a heavy metal type of fuzz pedal. It isn't much use as a clean booster - you have to turn up the drive function a bit to get any volume, but it will increase the signal strength quite a lot, or even reduce it if that is what you want.

Jimmy

Music is sound for its own sake.

Gibson S1; Roland Cube60, Peavey Deuce, Marshall Lead 12; Cubase SX3, Yamaha X15, Proteus 2000

TS-808!

Then there's this...

Analogman makes a good point about not all TS-9's sounding the same. I heard a guy trying out a TS-9 reissue in Guitar Center once and it sounded NOTHING like mine. After doing some research on Analogman's website, I found out that mine was a 1983 model with the JRC4558D IC chip (the "good" chip), but I inherited mine when my cousin died. There's a ton of good info on Analogman's site!! I learned alot about other pedals there too.

Turn me over, I'm done on this side...

I tried a Robert Keely modded Super OD. It was pretty cool with the right amp, but I can just feel those transistors. I just can't see myself ever using one. I mean to have this killer dynamic organic tubey distortion, then to cheapen it with the transistors in the front end.. Not for me.

Worked the best with the Marshall. I tried it with the Univalve (not enough clean headroom), and with the Bandmaster.

Keeley modded BLues Driver, General Guitar Gadgets BSAIB II(Brown Sound In A Box 2), nameless custom built JFET overdrive pedal. All of them are good for one thing or another.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Can I use a tube screamer as a clean boost?

You've already got a clean boost. It's that little knob on your guitar with the 'V" on it...http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/049.gif

I use a tube overdrive; I've mentioned it several times here, do a search! Every Swingin' Richard and his dog uses a TS-9, IMO. Different strokes for different folks but I feel it's been done to death. - One trick Keef uses is to chain a little amp like a Champ to a bigger one like a Twin. Clean and overdriven...

Idk I might look into a tube screamer again but I didnt really like it the first time I tried it, I tried to standard ts9 and the reissue neither really convinced me to spend to 100 some dollars. I just looked at the mxr overdrive/boost it seems nice, ill have to find one at a store

the digitech Bad Monkey is a nice OD. it also has a direct out with speaker sim to send the signal to a PA as well as the regular out for the amp.

it is cheap too. so even if it isn't your personal holy grail it can be nice addition and still leave you free to explore other pedals.

I had a blues driver. The stock pedal was not great. I had it modded by analogman. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't for me. So i sold it on ebay. I bought an 83 ibanez ts9 with the analogman brown mod for $110. it should be coming any day. It is suppoesed to be pretty sweet. I would have got the sailver mod, but i wanted to save some $$$. But i do think ts9's are great in general. The stocks is good, but a mod couldn't hurt

When i get mine i'll let you know...

-ross

http://theguitarresource.blogspot.com/

The TS-9/TS-808 is a great sound, but with a Fender guitar I just think it needs a little more bass (or a little less bass cutoff?). I figure I could either spend money on an EQ pedal or I could get a Keeley modded TS-808, etc. I'm going to try the Keeley.

If the overdrive pedals like the TS-9 have a deficiency its in playing crunchy chords.

Does anyone have any real world experience with the Sparkle Drive from Voodoo?

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Define real world, John? You mean gigging or just using?

I played one at my neighbors through a Fender (it was either a 1968 Deluxe or a reissue Twin), anyway, I liked it a lot. It sounds way better than a tube screamer specifically because it has more low end and the blend controls with the clean and dirty is sweet. My only complaint was it lacked enough gain to be usable much beyond a light overdrive, but I don't think it's meant to be anything but that.

Having said all that, I'm not trying to overpromote or glorify the Barber LTD, but for the same price as the Sparkle Drive ($130), I think it is a far superior pedal and has just as good of a tone as the OCD that the Doc raves so much about. Only difference: the OCD has more gain.

Shut up and play.

Thanks Revo! "Just using" works for me. :smile:

Keeley does a mod for the Sparkle Drive that his website says adds twice gain -- just to the dirty channel. Or I'm thinking I could just feed the TS-9 in front of it or behind it for extra boost for leads mostly or more straight ahead rock? That is, if I don't send that off for a mod as well. :whistle:

The Barber stuff is intriguing, the LTD and maybe also the Tone Pump. I don't think I have a local dealer and no one I know owns one, so its hard for me to try out without buying. I can at least have a local guitar store order in the Voodoo Labs stuff if I want something they don't stock (like the SD).

This was all a lot easier back in the day when everything went through a Big Muff, all fuzz and powerchords. Also a lot less musical, too, I guess. Definitely less interesting, IMO.

John

Having said all that, I'm not trying to overpromote or glorify the Barber LTD, but for the same price as the Sparkle Drive ($130), I think it is a far superior pedal and has just as good of a tone as the OCD that the Doc raves so much about. Only difference: the OCD has more gain.

More questions:

Would I want the LTD or the Silver LTD. What's the difference? I think gain is great to a point, but it can be overdone. I need to be able to back off enough to play chords (9ths, etc.).

Thanks!

John

The gain is the same, the circuits are the same, almost everything is the same. The real difference is the LTD Silver has a flatter EQ response. So, I would ask yourself, how dynamic is your amp?

Right now, I'm running it through a solid-state Peavey Transtube, which as far as solid state amps go is very good, but it's not as dynamic as say the Reissue Hot Rod Deluxe or '65 Super Reverb I've tried it through as well. No matter what, it sounded great through all of them, but since I probably won't be getting a tube amp for a bit longer, I opted for the regular LTD, since it sounded more dynamic from the clips. And the choice was good.

I would say an amp with a characteristically frequency-biased tone, such as an AC-30 or a Matchless or some of the other boutique stuff, the silver would be you better bet. But for most Fenders (exceptions being earlier silverface stuff, which always sound brighter to me, and perhaps individual Deluxes) and most Marshalls, the regular LTD is the better choice.

Shut up and play.

Archived