Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss pedals

Fumblyfingers

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried both of them out at my local Guitar Center. They sound very authentic. The Bassman pedal had a great crunch, and the Deluxe Reverb really sounded like a Deluxe Reverb, even the reverb and tremolo in the pedal was right. I get a few bux ahead, I'm getting one or the other, haven't made up my mind which.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I never had a problem with modelling amps. I own a Yamaha DG Stomp that I get great practice and recording tones out of. So I'm in the clear. :D I do understand what Kramer means, though. Anyone else care to comment?
Shut up and play.

well... I'm kinda puzzled. So modelling AMPS are a no-no, but a modelling Boss pedal's cool? Even if it only does one amp per pedal? How does that work?

i look at it like they focus 100% on one amp and really get to zone in on the amp in question instead of trying to do everything with one pedal.

well... I'm kinda puzzled. So modelling AMPS are a no-no, but a modelling Boss pedal's cool? Even if it only does one amp per pedal? How does that work?

Well who said modelling amps are a no-no? I mean I am not a huge fan but then I am old school. For the new guys coming up it is a big part of the future in a way.

I mean I have a Line6 POD and I get very nice useable tones out of it, great for quick laydowns of parts. Would I take it into a major studio with me to record guitar on someone's project ? ( Should I ever be so lucky as to get back in the studio's )

Maybe...but it would be in my bag to try as a last resort if my amps were not cutting it.

But then a friend bought a Line6 Vetta and I played around with it for some time and was not impressed that much with the pre-sets. A couple of good one's here and there but overall it sounded very fake to my ear.

I dunno. I am keen to throw these pedals in front of my very blah early 80's silverface Twin Reverb and see what comes out. I might get them both eventually if they help this amp out.

They have them at my SamAsh. I went down today to try them but the lone salesman was busy and even though he paged for help, no-one came. So I baled.

It was not his fault, he was apologetic. But I have a low tolerance for being kept waiting...especially by some idiot who is dropping the ball on his co-worker who is buried.

i look at it like they focus 100% on one amp and really get to zone in on the amp in question instead of trying to do everything with one pedal.

But of course, Boss can't control what amp you are using. So the realism of the thing will probably be a bit iffy due to each amp maker's individual sound colouring. A modelling amp stands a better chance of being accurate because the maker alsready knows what cone/enclosure/whatevers he is going to be using and so can factor all that into the eventual sound.

OTOH, I can see how these pedals would be good for recording or to colour a DI thingie.

I see they claim to replicate the tone....if they've also been able to replicate the fantastic "sag" feel, the dynamic response of a Bassman I played through once, woo boy I'd be really into it.

Hmmmmm....now thinking about it for direct recording, maybe as part of a split signal, in order to have something really low latency with an inspiring response to monitor while playing, and then running it through some amp plug-ins for the mix.....

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

But of course, Boss can't control what amp you are using. So the realism of the thing will probably be a bit iffy due to each amp maker's individual sound colouring. A modelling amp stands a better chance of being accurate because the maker alsready knows what cone/enclosure/whatevers he is going to be using and so can factor all that into the eventual sound.

That's the concept behind the Atomic Reactor amps, instead of trying to overcome the coloring your deluxe reverb puts on your Line6/ToneLab/whatever modeled amp/cabinet, it's a preamp-less tube amp -- allegedly with a flat response -- specifically designed for the modeling effects pedals. I have yet to hear one with my own ears, so count me as one of the skeptics at this point.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Oh boy, Modellers...that's a whole other Pandora's Box. :grin:

I've heard more arguements on that subject.

Pod vs ToneLab type stuff.

It's never ending.

It's a pretty deep argument too.

I think that's why I went back to tube amps. :grin:

"Just play!"

Archived