Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup Wiring question

ForkofTuning

I couldn't find a good bridge pickup match for the middle/neck combo I was considering, the output rating difference was about 130, and I don't want the middle to totally overshaddow the bridge when both are selected, if my guitar had a extra tone knob could I actually (meaning a guitar tech ;) rewire that knob into a volume control for the middle/neck to balance the sound if needed?

That would be amazing if possible, and if its a good idea to equal out the sound if needed. I barely use the tone control at all, so this would be a awesome way to make the second one into something usefull at the same time. All the pickups are dimarzio strat-replacement models.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What guitar - which pickups/position? I have a Strat with 3 DiMarzios (TDS-1, SDS-1, SDS-1). The pots are wired: 1) Vol/push/pull for outside/all 3 pups. 2) Gibson varitone-type pot. 3)5 stage pre-amp/mids boost. Look - no tone control :)

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

if my guitar had a extra tone knob could I actually (meaning a guitar tech ;) rewire that knob into a volume control for the middle/neck to balance the sound if needed?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As long as you remove any caps from the tone pot, it should work using the variable tone control pot wired as an ungrounded, pure resistance. Just insert it in between the PU's hot wire and the toggle switch or volume pot lug where the PU used to terminate. The added resistance might be just enough. IMHO, a better idea would be to buy a PU that's a better balance with the rear PU and adjust it's proximity (height) to taste.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Archived