Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making the transition from bedroom to stage

JasonDW

I agree with Gruupi. You don't need to be heard in the next county... you just need to fill the room! And if it's a small club, you don't need huge stacks of amps at full volume... you need a good solid amp, and ask a person you know has good ears to tell you if everything is clearly heard.

And yes indeed, the singers have to hear themselves. It's a team effort, and this constant "gotta be louder than the guy next to me" thing is insane! If you have good singers, especially if they have come up with nice harmonies, why not back off on the volume so they can be heard? You can always turn up the volume for your solos!

I recently played a coffeehouse... medium size, not a mega-auditorium, not a matchbox either, with a Fender Princeton amp, and at 3 it was too loud. On 2, sitting on a chair, I still got a good tone and was clearly heard, without overpowering the other musicians and singers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey just a quick update on my quest to upgrade my rig to gig worthy status. I spent some quality time at a local music store today, test driving a mesa lonestar special, a stilletto ace, and a DSL50 before I decided to save some money and just buy a 2x12 closed back extension cab to run my subway rocket through for a "bigger" tone. The store has a 7 day return policy so I'm going to take it to practice on Monday and see if I feel like I fit better in the mix with it. Thanks again for all the advice.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/jasondweiss/mesacab.jpg

somehow i find it ammusing in a thread titled "making the transition from bedroom to stage" that someone comments on another persons "rig". :grin:

bear with me i will be sleeping soon.

LMAO!

... and they comment on what a fine rig he has. LOL!

somehow i find it ammusing in a thread titled "making the transition from bedroom to stage" that someone comments on another persons "rig". :grin:

LMAO!

... and they comment on what a fine rig he has. LOL!

LOL I said RIG not PACKAGE LOL!!! :o

LMAO!

And someone here wanted to "get into the minds" of guitar players? Man.... that's a dangerous query. LOL!

I've noticed the guitarists in a lot of smaller venue acts are just using 2x combos. My first thought is always, "Is that thing going to be loud enough?" I'm used to seeing Marshall full- or half-stacks. But indeed those combos are up to the task, and if they're not, they get sent through FOH.

I don't remember seeing anybody on stage with only a 1x combo, but maybe I don't pay enough attention.

Up until just recently, the other guitarist in my band ran just fine and dandy through a Randall 1x12 80 watter. I use a Peavey 2x12 onstage, and have no intentions of moving up. If anything, I'm looking for a little tube amp I can bust open wide onstage and put through FOH.

You guys are funny. This forum is always a trip.

A very nice looking rig Jason!

As long as everyone is "admiring my rig", here's most of the rest of it. The gibson into the blues junior is really my favorite tone but I use the boogie with my two carvins with the band since we're primarily rock 'n roll. I'm not sure why I get such a kick out of taking and sharing pictures like this. It's such a geeky thing to do but at least I feel like I'm not alone in my "guitar geekishness" around here.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/jasondweiss/guitars_mar07003.jpg

I'm not sure why I get such a kick out of taking and sharing pictures like this. It's such a geeky thing to do but at least I feel like I'm not alone in my "guitar geekishness" around here.

This is definitely the place to show off the gear. Very cool stuff you have.

Tell me about the 335. Is it one of those 335 Satins?

I'm not sure why I get such a kick out of taking and sharing pictures like this. It's such a geeky thing to do but at least I feel like I'm not alone in my "guitar geekishness" around here.

This is definitely the place to show off the gear. Very cool stuff you have.

Tell me about the 335. Is it one of those 335 Satins?

Yes, it's a satin finish ES-335 that I bought new about a year ago. It's identical to the high gloss standard version other than the finish. I've got a couple of coats of Jim Dunlop "cream of carnuba" guitar wax on it now so it actually has a bit of a sheen but looks very faded compared to a new high gloss one. I really like the look of it, although to be honest, I would have gone the high gloss route if it didn't cost almost $1K more. I really couldn't hear any difference in the sound. The classic 57 pickups are great. I tried quite a few gibsons before I found one that felt right in my hands but I'm really in love with this one. At home I play mostly blues and the 335 is my main axe.

Archived