Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$1500 electric guitar made from 1/3 of a $15 Ikea

Ricardo.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO!! Knotty Pine! Now, I've seen it all!! It does look purdy!! :grin:

Pine is a soft wood....It also tends to bend and warp...oppsy :/

To my recollection, I've never seen pine used in any way for an electric guitar before. I'd wonder what the tone would be like?

I suspect that pine would have done better in the furniture, or lining the walls in your den!! Ikea had it right in the first place.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I love that body... Its made up of a few bits of 2x4. ;)

Funny that they went with a clear finish with pine... When pine was originally used in furniture and doors it was meant to be painted! Because it wasnt pretty like Oak etc... It was like the equivelent then of making doors out of MDF now.

So great...

The IKEA guitar... Made out of 19th century MDF equivelant.

Doesn't look like somethin' I'd rush out to buy, but this guy claims to be a luthier, and seems to have used quality parts with a dubious body. Can you say Danelectro? :idea:

Just refreshed my memory at his site.

I'll revise my comment, and retract the word "claims". I've run across his site before, and find a lot of his designs innovative and artistic. Not sayin' the pine grabs me, but his work lends credence to his words.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Danelectro was the first thing that I thought when I saw it too, Bluesape. Kind of interesting, but I don't think that I would want a guitar made out of pine. I really do like the fret markers tho.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

A six string popsicle stick. For $1500. Great.

Hah! Only in Vegas! :P

Give his website a look, Skip - ya might like some of his ideas. :thu: I know I'd love to try a few of them out.

It actually should be structurally fairly stable (as far as warping). The table top was several edge-glued boards, but that's only the top. If you look carefully, you can see where the top (the part made from the Ikea table top) is actually laminated to two thicker pieces of edge-glued pine.

What I'd be concerned about is the sonic characteristic (he says it's good...but that's pretty subjective), and the fact that pine is so soft...how well is the hardware going to hold? Screws tend to strip and pull out of pine pretty easily.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

First thought that came to mind was to route out a little beer bottle holder and put the legs back on it. Kind of like a TV tray lap steel thing.

No sure if it's worth $1500 regardless of what hardware it's wearing.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

It actually should be structurally fairly stable (as far as warping). The table top was several edge-glued boards, but that's only the top. If you look carefully, you can see where the top (the part made from the Ikea table top) is actually laminated to two thicker pieces of edge-glued pine.

What I'd be concerned about is the sonic characteristic (he says it's good...but that's pretty subjective), and the fact that pine is so soft...how well is the hardware going to hold? Screws tend to strip and pull out of pine pretty easily.

Well he says this about the strength of the pines mechanical holding characteristics: " I came up with some extremely hard to find black machine screws which screw into metal inserts instead of the soft wood of the guitar. I also use these inserts and screws for the control cover. Very clever, wouldn't you say?"

What a putz this guy is!! yeah everybodys been using inserts and bushings in wood to take machine screws for oh ABOUT 100 YEARS!! ...YEAH Pretty clever allright!! (hard to find black metal metal machine screws! MY ASS!!!)

Ahh...OK. I didn't even bother to read the whole thing. My initial response to the whole idea is "Why?" It doesn't even really look good.

I agree with the hairy fellow with the mint green strat, I don't think it looks that good at all.

On the subject of "alternative" tonewoods though, is there a reason I haven't seen any solid body electrics made of cherry? Is it not a good material to use for some reason?

Hummm...don't know! it is much like maple although maybe a big softer, dense and close grained, I don't think I've ever seen one

Yeah, I was wondering if it might be just a little too soft. Reason I asked is because the way he has that pine edge glued got me thinking about some cherry wood I have that was stored up in the joists of my basement when we moved in(previous owner was into woodworking, as am I). It's all milled up nice and square and there looks to be enough to edge glue together and fashion a body.

Check out Morch guitars, from Denmark. That guy uses some cherry wood for tops, looks nice. Warrior guitars has a model with a redwood top, also a beautiful looking wood. Don`t know how they sound.

I haven`t looked at the guy`s site yet, it`s on the `to do` list for today.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

did you know that the original prototype of the Broadcaster was made with a pine body.

yup it is true.

more pine poop

i think the original prototype was the only one made of pine.

the guy in the link above states otherwise.

original prototype fender

Fender did a collectors reissue of this in a very limited number complete with amp and hard case for both amp and guitar in 1996.

We seem to agree that the pine model isn't inducing GAS convulsions, but don't dismiss all of his work over one model. If we judged all makers so harshly over one flop, there'd be no Gibson, Fender, Guild,..... I really think this guy is building some choice guitars, but the Pineocaster(?) ain't doin' it for me. But, I can see myself playing certain other models from him.

Well I don`t see how, almost all the ones I saw are `sold` or `not for sale` I gotta give the guy credit, that is one unique website. Takes some castanets to include posts from guys who think you are an idiot on your own page. But some nice guitars. however having read the guy`s profile, the $1500 popsicle stick

doesn`t seem so unexpected.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived