Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

Ha! I need to brag. Are you surprised?

The band played very well last night. Everything was stellar; very few brain farts. My vocal phrasing was better at matching my bandmate's, so the harmonies were just better. Vocal range was way high; every high note crystal clear and effortless. And the recording turned out spectacular. Lots of musicians in the crowd, which was a wonderful compliment. Lots of happy people who didn't leave until after we were done; and a happy bar owner.

I didn't sleep a wink last night. When I did sleep I was still on stage.

Why can't every day be that good?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, January in the Tri-Cities. The days are getting longer, the sun occasionally peeps out from the cloud during our winter-long stagnant low pressure area and all the local musicians thoughts and minds turn to ...

THE ANNUAL RUNNING OF THE BASS!

Yes, this is the time of year were all the local hardball bands climb to the top for Bombing Range Road on Bird Hill and let loose their bassists. The eager, aspiring new projects don the traditional garb of white shirts and pants with the traditional red sash and entice the bassists to chase them down Bombing Range Road - trying to maintain their footing on a road slicken with beer, urine and vomit.

These intrepid minor bands trying to get one of these bassist for their band. Some falter and slip to be gored and trampled by bassist with MIA Fenders and Ampeg 4x10s - holding the unfortunate victim in contempt with their lack of gear and absence of professionalism.

Others manage to grasp the balconies of the adjoining houses, avoiding injury, but destined to watch the bassist run past, with no hope in managing to have one improve their little band with the sound they so despirately seek.

At the end of the road (the intersection of Van Giesen at Flat Top Park), the bassists finally come to rest. Waiting there are the hardball bands they originally fled. Most of the bassists will be picked up by another band, hoping that this bassist will be the one to bring them the sound and complete the band. Other bassists will wander away, to establish their own projects - destined to fail due to poor management, unrealised expectations and unquenchable egos.

The drummer in Project B has informed me that the bassist for "Unplesant John" has quit. Project B drummer thinks that my style and abilities would be a good match, however I have dealt with the bandleader on two occations, both of which were unpleasant. Coupled with the fact that two other hardball bands - "Window Treatment" and "Building Material" are still looking for a permanent bassist.

Sometimes the allure of hooking up with a big-time local band is hard to resist. The best gigs, the best venues, the best live sound. But I've come to appreciate the two little projects depite the most promising one not getting up to speed like I had hoped. In a way, I feel bad for those guys with the $950 basses and the $2100 rigs, bouncing from band to band, never being able to find a permanent place, putting up with incompatible egos and domineering band leaders.

Better them than me.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Ah, sweet karma ...

Finally decided to throw up an ad on CL. Project A is still dead in the water waiting on the BL to wait on a phone call from a friend of his for the lead guitar spot. Project B is looking for someone to share lead/rhythm and a vocalist.

I've gotten two responses so far ... both from bands that "didn't quite work out". This is huge for me, guys that didn't think I had it nine months ago wanting in on one of the projects I'm associated with.

It's was worth the wait.

Thought some of you might appreciate this. Again, I'm bragging about my friend from high school who's tearing up the smooth jazz scene.

He recently got back from the Smooth Jazz Cruise 2010:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs167.snc3/19450_1214692927674_1239348319_30590029_7844513_n.jpg

From left to right, that's Andre Delano, Gerald Albright, Eric Darius (my friend), Euge Groove, Richard Elliott, Dave Koz, Phil Perry, Jonathan Butler, Earl Klugh, Peter White, Jeff Golub, and Marcus Miller (front center).

I'm juiced. Happy hour gig tonight at a venue I've been trying to book since March. Yes. That March.

New song debut on the set list, Haitian Divorce, that I'm singing on. I'm gonna schmaltz it up as much as possible, but not too much.

The earthquake has no relation to why we're doing the song. It's been on the list since the guitar player got a talk box for christmas. I'm hoping people don't take it wrong; I don't think they will.

Craig's List Slime Update -

- vox #1 (project B) - guy's voice mail is full. That tells me alot. My son pointed out that you have to have a lot of voice mail to have a full voice mail box. My reponse was that you have to not delete a lot of voice mail to have a full voice mail box. My son's voice mail box is usually full.

- vox #2 (project B) - female. Not that I'm sexist or anything, but not the kind of vocals I'm looking for in the cover band.

- lead guitar #1 - suddenly developes high blood pressure, a doctor's order to take it easy and had a death in the family.

- lead guitar #2 - left a message.

Seriously, kids. I want to know. If you are trying to get a member for a project, what is your best to least methods? I have tried the following:

- Musican social network sites

- Craig's List

- Local ad paper (Giant Nickel, etc.)

- Music store ad

- Trolling open mics.

I appreciate your replies in advance (except the usual suspects who are going to showcase their spontaneous and acerbic wit - I'll just appriciate it in a different way).

Here in eastern Washington. We've just had the warmest January ever in recorded history - whatever that means.

I have a friend in Portland Oregon who's complaining about the lack of snow. I understand folks in Vancouver are sweating (no pun intended) about the Olympics.

I have an idea! How about the Trenton Olympics?

Push the button Frank.

I just saw the ad at the bottom of the thread. Seems Lysol would like us to think that our hand sanitiser/anti-bacterial soap dispenser pumps may harbor germs.

... aside fromt the fact that you are using it to dispense hand santiser or soap. So, avoid putting your hand sanitisers and anti-bacterial soap dispenser pumps in your mouths while washing your hands!

This public service announcement was bought to you by the CSC (the Center for Stupidity Control).

I have an idea! How about the Trenton Olympics?

They'd either get wrong exit on the Turnpike or get mugged outside the airport.

(Remeber, I was born and raised in Philly, and I've actually BEEN to Trenton a couple of times.)

Why I knew you'd appreciate the Trenton Olympics. "Where the hell are the medals??" "Please tell me those shots are the biathalon..."

Push the button Frank.

Keep in mind that craigslisters are almost all freaks. Freaky-freaks that are so freaky that their freakiness appears normal when they are amongst themselves. Amongst the freaks, they are no longer freaks. So be freakily patient. It will take time to weed through the freaks. But when it is right, you will know. Because you are not a freak.

• 4 weeks later...

On of my weird obsessions is tracking the cost of memory.... 'cause once upon a time, memory was very expensive. I think we have a new low at 7.5 cents per gig.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5265070&Sku=H450-9000&SRCCODE=WEM2220V&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM2220-_-tigeremail

I actually call around to local studios and talk to who ever answers the phone. There are a few here in town that have a lounge.

Also it helps to be friends with the number one studio owner in town (New Times #1 at least 11 years running)

But I digress. I just talk to lots of people at the local music store, the owners and hangers on at the boutiques (My favorite is "The Bass Place" here in town. My last 3 bands I hav ebeen in i was called out of the blue by people I met in clubs, studios and music stores.

www.burning3.com

Music Man Stingray 5 HH

Peavey T-40

Hartke LH500

Ampeg SVT410HLF

That last thing I posted was in response to this: (Duh, me uses internetz)

- vox #1 (project B) - guy's voice mail is full. That tells me alot. My son pointed out that you have to have a lot of voice mail to have a full voice mail box. My reponse was that you have to not delete a lot of voice mail to have a full voice mail box. My son's voice mail box is usually full.

- vox #2 (project B) - female. Not that I'm sexist or anything, but not the kind of vocals I'm looking for in the cover band.

- lead guitar #1 - suddenly developes high blood pressure, a doctor's order to take it easy and had a death in the family.

- lead guitar #2 - left a message.

Seriously, kids. I want to know. If you are trying to get a member for a project, what is your best to least methods? I have tried the following:

- Musican social network sites

- Craig's List

- Local ad paper (Giant Nickel, etc.)

- Music store ad

- Trolling open mics.

I appreciate your replies in advance (except the usual suspects who are going to showcase their spontaneous and acerbic wit - I'll just appriciate it in a different way).

www.burning3.com

Music Man Stingray 5 HH

Peavey T-40

Hartke LH500

Ampeg SVT410HLF

Working my fingers to the bone - got a call to sub on acoustic guitar for a traditional Irish trio on St. Patricks Day - two 2-hour sets (afternoon, evening) at a pub that's as Irish as Irish can be. Learning about 40 songs, jigs and reels before next Wednesday.

My, but guitar strings are skinny! I threw a set of Mediums on my Tak to build up some callouses - fingertips toughening up as we speak. I'll replace with some ultra-lights before the shows, though.

Pray for me or point and laugh, whichever floats yer goat.

:mad:

Play. Just play.

I went skiing today, and got some of my Mojo back. Last time I went skiing I sucked. With my hips/arthritis thing I was truly bad in the moguls. No strength, no pop, no rhythm. Today the warm conditions were more forgiving. I wasn't up to my former standards, but I didn't suck. It was fun.

Excuse me. I gotta go take some more ibuprofen.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this on the evil bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-string-project-bass-guitar-fretless-ebony-j-body-3-1_W0QQitemZ300407806258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45f1b35932

There's another one left if anyone is interested.

Gonna put in the EMG's and Schaller roller bridge and Gotoh tuners I've got lying around. And yes, gonna cob it into a five string. There'll be plenty of room. I might have to paint the headstock to make it look purty. Oar knot. Dunno yet.

I was in a goofy mood at the gig last night and substituted The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" for the bass solo in Boogie Oogie Oogie. It was well received and got a lot of laughs from the crowd as well as the band. I was very pleased with myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My car has been giving me troubles. Not the car, really. Just the mechanics who don't want to actually work on a car. So bad that my wife was making noise that I get a real car. Happy day, though. It appears that I found a great mechanic. Old enough to know, not too old to do the work, close to home, and even located on the way to work. He fixed the hydraulic line to the rear wheel steer for $180 in a day and a half. It spent over three weeks in two installments at the last place sitting, waiting for the parts that were wrong when they arrived---TWICE!!!!. This guy found the proper compression fitting and made his own. Boom, done.

Back to twin turbo happiness.