Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Muso's who are full of themsleves

The Big G

This comes from The Police re-union thing, now for me Sting was excellent in the Police but his music from that point on has left me cold along with his over inflated opinion of himself, what artists are to full of there own importance to the point they put you off there music? prince can be another for me that seems "I am great", we know you can be so show us your greatness in your music not in your posturing and tantrums etc...

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...I too like The Police but when Sting went solo I found he started playing easy listening new age music marketed to "bored housewives"...Sooooo...me being a mysoginistic middle aged white ex-punk rocker guy I kinda lost interest because of this change in his music, not because of his supposed infatuation with himself.

For the most part I don't get turned off by a person's music because of their personality. I mean...I don't like Prince because I don't like his music. Sure he is very talented but "girly" pop music doesn't do it for me and it never did.

Same with Bryan Adams...CANT stand him...yet I know nothing of him as a person..

T

Its all good and well being modest, but ive found that people will assume you suck before they even hear anything if you are too modest.

Ya gotta big yourself up a little bit, if you dont think you are good then why would anybody else?

It does get to a point where a HUUUUUUGE ego puts me off a muso though, especially if they dont back it up with some fantastic musicianship.

Noel Gallaghers beleif in Oasis astounds me.

Little Richard, James Brown are and where. The worst I've ever know was Smokey Robinson!

Smokey Robinson, I knew this would throw up a couple of good ones, good shout lee, i agree they are all full of the own self importance

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

One that I personally interacted with, was Chubby Checker. He's was one of those surprise ones that you didn't expect. He seems like such a happy, easy going guy, but when I met him, he was arrogant, self centered and an out right a$$hole.

I've seen a couple of interviews with him, and he pretty much thinks he invented dancing. Swear to god, he says something like "before I started The Twist people didn't quite know what to do when the music was playing". Then when The Rock 'n Roll Hall Of Fame opened he started rasing hell because he thought there should be a gold statue of him out front.

One that I personally interacted with, was Chubby Checker. He's was one of those surprise ones that you didn't expect. He seems like such a happy, easy going guy, but when I met him, he was arrogant, self centered and an out right a$$hole.

I've seen a couple of interviews with him, and he pretty much thinks he invented dancing. Swear to god, he says something like "before I started The Twist people didn't quite know what to do when the music was playing". Then when The Rock 'n Roll Hall Of Fame opened he started rasing hell because he thought there should be a gold statue of him out front.

Yup, that's the Chubby that I remember. ;)

It`s a difficult balance. On the one hand, as many talented musicians as there are and have been at any one time, how can you have the nerve to think that people will care what YOU have to offer without a damn solid sense of self? On the other hand that doesn`t excuse being a rude prick, indeed it defeats the very purpose of getting people interested in what you`re doing.

I hold nothing against anyone for blowing other things off to focus on the music (or art, whatever), or not wasting time bathing in their own fame. But I have met one or two famous people that treated me like crap, I may forgive but I won`t forget (most of them have been really good people BTW).

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Michael Stipe - I have met him. He is the same in person as he comes across on-stage and in interviews. Very self-important.

I still am a fan of REM's earlier albums, in-spite of my personal impression of their lead singer.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Just incidentally, Chubby Checker was not a "one hit wonder." He had several million-selling singles, including, "The Twist," "Pony Time," "Slow Twistin'," "Let's Twist Again" and "Limbo Rock." "The Twist" and "Pony Time" were both Billboard #1 singles.

Moving on, realize that most of the time what you hear on a recording, see on stage - especially in an interview - is a PERFORMANCE. These people make their living by performing, and what you see can be very different from the real person. A lot of them just don't bother to switch off the act when talking to ordinary folks like us. And, unfortunately, a nasty public personality keeps you in the news, i.e. free advertising.

Jimmy

Music is sound for its own sake.

Gibson S1; Roland Cube60, Peavey Deuce, Marshall Lead 12; Cubase SX3, Yamaha X15, Proteus 2000

Just incidentally, Chubby Checker was not a "one hit wonder." He had several million-selling singles, including, "The Twist," "Pony Time," "Slow Twistin'," "Let's Twist Again" and "Limbo Rock." "The Twist" and "Pony Time" were both Billboard #1 singles.

Moving on, realize that most of the time what you hear on a recording, see on stage - especially in an interview - is a PERFORMANCE. These people make their living by performing, and what you see can be very different from the real person. A lot of them just don't bother to switch off the act when talking to ordinary folks like us. And, unfortunately, a nasty public personality keeps you in the news, i.e. free advertising.

Jimmy

I actually worked with the guy for an evening. We opened for him and then he used our gear. Plus I ran his light show. He was a jerk through the whole process. Showing up late, missing the sound check, complaining about everything, refusing to interact with us in a manor that was civil and over all, acting like he was a god.

His stage show sucked. He played The Twist about seven times and Pony Time three times.

I got his autograph to go along with the crew passes and still have it to this day. I figured I should get something after going through that. Hopefully someday, they will be worth something.

And, unfortunately, a nasty public personality keeps you in the news, i.e. free advertising.

Jimmy

This part is kinda tenuous-legal troubles get a lot more headlines than fobbing off citizens. If being a jerk by itself was enough most of the human race would be famous.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Jimmy

I actually worked with the guy for an evening. We opened for him and then he used our gear. Plus I ran his light show. He was a jerk through the whole process. Showing up late, missing the sound check, complaining about everything, refusing to interact with us in a manor that was civil and over all, acting like he was a god.

His stage show sucked. He played The Twist about seven times and Pony Time three times.

I got his autograph to go along with the crew passes and still have it to this day. I figured I should get something after going through that. Hopefully someday, they will be worth something.

Thanks for the story Craig. Chubby cracks me up. YOU MUST BUILD ME A STATUE, and/or give me a Nobel Prize, or the world is not right. I worked with Ray Stevens once, and everyone said he was a real hard ass, but didn't see it that night, everythang went smooth.

Me!!! :grin:

Seriously it is "just" music. Not to say that it isn't great, just to say that it is so much more enjoyable when it comes from someone who is singing, or playing from a joyous heart. One thing to remember it happens to listeners too. I was too "cool" to give allot of music a chance when I was a kid. Lately I have discovered so many awesome kinds of music that I wouldn't have listened to when I was younger and I thought I was open minded as a youngster. So for me it is a lesson learned.

What you don't en-joy playing. I didn't mean that you had to hippy full 'o' love like. I meant that you should have great passion and the listeners will groove with it. You can enjoy playing with great anger. When a guy who comes to entertain spends your time bitching about the monitor mix or any other such thing it isn't any fun for the listener who is paying to enjoy listening.

Musicians full of themselves? The vast majority of them I've met are nice enough guys. Sometimes they develop a certain reserve though, since there is the presumption on the part of some people that because you like their music and maybe bought a record or two they are now your best buddy and owe you endless amounts of their personal time.

Reminding me of how John Lennon once told Pete Shotton, who was a childhood friend of his, "Pete, it's so hard to have a normal conversation with anybody.." since he was so famous as a Beatle and people related to the image and not the person!

I don't think there is any excuse for being nasty and rude, but if people come up, and you say something nice and then say, "now, if you'll excuse me..." and they won't let you alone, NOW who is being rude?

No, this has never happened to me, I'm just picturing how it must be for people who are well-known, or even famous!

Little Richard, James Brown are and where. The worst I've ever know was Smokey Robinson!

...i agree they are all full of the own self importance....

Side note: James Brown no longer is full of his own self importance.....died a month or so back didn't he?

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived