Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SRX-12 mfx/cosm Amp settings

Kayvon

As I know there are a few of us who have the SRX-12 card I was just wondering if anybody had got any good guitar amp settings particularly for the Fantom-X (I own the XR) MFX algorithms but also maybe for the similar XV COSM effects.

In patch mode I usually just use the Enhancer and Chorus effect on EP1 when I want a fairly uncoloured usable EP but lately i've been wanting to get a more overdriven sound. I haven't really been tweaking that much but i've just come up with an ok patch which is based on a tweaked version of EPtype1Cond4. The things I changed on that patch were basically bringing in the top two velocity layers sooner and also opening the lpf cutoff a little.

Here are some guitar amp settings that are useful for fairly sparse low mid range parts;

Pre amp SW: ON

" " Type: MS1959II

" " Volume: 66

" " Master: 127

" " Gain: Low

" " Bass: 14

" " Mid: 70

" " Treble: 105

" " Bright: ON

Speaker SW: ON

Speaker Type: Built-in 1

Mic setting: 1

Mic level: 127

Direct level: 19

Pan: 0

Level: 127

The pre amp and speaker parameters give a slightly compressed sound and I may adjust the lowest velocity layer so that it has less dynamic range to add to that effect. You may also want to add some more presence to the above settings.

So has anybody else got any good settings or just general tips for using the guitar amp models with SRX-12 on the Fantom/XV?

Pete.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Roland's COSM guitar amp sim. I don't have SRX-12, but use it on leads and organs (in series with the VK Rotary sim). So these are just general tips.

Ths overall character of this sim is greatly influenced by signal strength, just like a tube amp would be. Patch level is set not only in patch edit (general), but don't forget that it's also set on the effects routing page... all those "sends" on the far left. Changing any of these changes the sound of the effect.

For live use, make your settings plugged into your club amp, preferrably at the club, just like a guitar player would set his guitar amp up.

This is just an incredible sim, and it's all too easy to waste an afternoon messing around with it's many paramaters.

Thanks for the tips Bill. I agree that the Roland effects are great. They were a big factor in me purchasing the Fantom XR.

You mention about about input levels, part of the reason I wanted to reduce the dynamic range of the lower velocity levels was to drive the amp more.

I've never tried running the guitar amp in series with the Rotary sim. I bet that sounds great. I spent a while trying to create a performance patch that used a clav sound running through overdrive then to wah. The trick I was trying to get was to get the clean clav sound triggering the wah effect but you're actually listening to the overdriven sound. It was an idea I got off an Electro-Harmonix wah+drive pedal. Never got it working though, i've got to get round to trying it again.

One thing I've found over the years for many default Roland patches -- don't know whether this is the case in the SRX-12 -- is that the Velocity sensitivity settings are often set WAY high -- +32 sometimes. This reduces the volume of the patch unless you really hammer hard on the keyboard.

Try closely analyzing all the settings having to do with velocity (for envelopes, also include the envelope slope algorithm, choose logarithmic and test the results) and see if that helps with the amp sim fx, particularly the ones sensitive to input.

Agreed, I tamed down the velocity setting for the Rhodes 1 in my SRX-12.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived