Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Red Book Audio Problems

I'm getting a CD pressed. I have run into a problem with the manufacturing plant(MP). The MP says that they can't make a glass master from my CD because the cd is not RED BOOK standard. The CD was created using Sound Forge CD-Architect. Here are the steps that were taken: I mixed the whole CD down in PROTOOLS, which gave me on long WAVE FILE. I give the WAVE FILE to my mastering engineer. He imports the wave file into SF CD-Architect. He goes in and places the track markers. Burns the CD and that's it... I send the CD to the MP... I get a call back from the MP - they say, we need the CD to be RED BOOK. My engineer says " if they want RED BOOK, then my continuity will lost because RED BOOK will put 2 seconds between each song." What can I do to make the CD into RED BOOK format, with introducing the 2 second gap??? Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jam makes Red Book CDs and it defaults to 2 second breaks. However, having one continuous file for a CD is not the best situation. With Jam, making a RED BOOK CD, you can have contiguous files with no breaks allowing the listener to jump ahead at your predetermined breaks. You can even author crossfades on Jam while making a RedBook CD.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

[quote]Originally posted by alcohol: [b]Jam makes Red Book CDs and it defaults to 2 second breaks. However, having one continuous file for a CD is not the best situation. With Jam, making a RED BOOK CD, you can have contiguous files with no breaks allowing the listener to jump ahead at your predetermined breaks. You can even author crossfades on Jam while making a RedBook CD.[/b][/quote]Wouldn't CD Architect do that too? I'm thinking about getting it, but if it loses Red Book standard in a continuous file, than I don't want CDA. What can CDA that Jam can't do? I mean, all the DxiPlug-ins you get with CDA, who needs them? At the point of burning a CD the track would already be mastered, so what's the point of having the plug-ins in a CD burn software?
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

I would thinkthat CD Architect should do all that Jam does and more. I don't have it so I don't know what the issue is with your mastering engineer. Write to Sound Forge with your question.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

[quote] I mixed the whole CD down in PROTOOLS, which gave me on long WAVE FILE. I give the WAVE FILE to my mastering engineer. He imports the wave file into SF CD-Architect. He goes in and places the track markers. Burns the CD and that's it... I send the CD to the MP... [/quote]Firstly, I'm not a mastering engineer, although I've done quite a few projects that have gone to production without problem. Is the music in a single long track because that is the way it was written (e.g. classical piece) or is it like a DJ mix? Your mastering engineer should be the one talking to the production house, not you, [i]IF[/i] you are paying him. So either he doesn't know what he is doing, or I would find another production house. What part of the Red Book standard has not been adhered too? [quote] My engineer says " if they want RED BOOK... [/quote][b]THEY HAVE TO HAVE RED BOOK[/b] in order to manufacture a CD. :freak: [quote] ...then my continuity will lost because RED BOOK will put 2 seconds between each song." [/quote]Authoring programs will do that by default. You then have to go in and defeat that on a track by track basis.

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

Problem solved. There is an option to select RED BOOK VALIDATION or something like that in CD Architect. We checked that box, and the CD burned fine... There were no gaps between songs... ANd yes, the continuity of the the CD is better preserved in one wave file - for me... Peace

Archived