Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paranoid about losing your gear?

Man, sometimes I think that that I am way too paranoid about my music gear. It has sort of a crippling effect on me. I have a old strat that is like my soul mate guitar. I run into fears about it getting ripped off when I am out of the house or if I am out and about with it. I think I would be devastated if it "took a walk". I can't just keep it in a vault, it speaks for me! What do you do to keep your valued "loved ones" safe?? Or is there a 12 step program for me?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Howe STILL keeps his '63(?) ES-135 with him at all times. NO ONE touches it. I let people use my equipment but only in my presence. Bring your Strat with you, then. My home-made security system is close to lethal. It allows me to find the thief quite easily. It's the electrocuted guy with a limp.

the home invasion thing is pretty scary. I`m good with things that cut, things that shoot are more of a problem. For home I think Paostby`s got it, invest in a good security system. Zap the fuckers good. For playing out I have a guitar that`s moderately priced but with a hot pickup set, sounds great. Some of the places I play in are no place for a proper guitar.

While I really like my guitars, they're still tools to me. I take them to shows in al kinds of dumps -- even my sunburst Les Paul. I take care to make sure nobody walks away with them, but the bottom line is, if someone really wants to steal them, they will. Nothing I can really do about it. I look at it this way -- I bought these things to PLAY them. I'm not gonna hide them away at home. Having said this, I don't take pointless risks with them, either. When we play out, I keep my guitars together, and I keep them with the rest of my band's stuff, preferably corralled safely between our cabinets. This way, if someone is trying to grab one of my guitars, they'll have to move a lot of our shit to get at them. This would make their actions really obvious and attract the attention of at least one of us, because someone from the band is always somewhat near the gear at all times. The main thing is to use common sense. If you're really worried about someone making off with your guitar, just keep it in a soft case on your back all the time. I certainly know a few people who do that.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

One week ago Sunday I drove over to a jam night at a local room. I left my strat and pedal board (actually a briefcase with stomps and cables) in my truck, locked. After spending a few minutes inside, and deciding it was a go for jamming, I came out and got the guitar and briefcase. Left a backpack/satchel on the front seat of my truck with my day planner, wallet and other items. Locked the truck. Went in and played a set of music. When I got done and came out, the passenger side window was down halfway, the wing window forced open. My heart skipped a beat. Gone. My debit cards, credit cards, ID, SS card, day planner with phone numbers of every person I know. I've spent the last week trying to clean up the financial mess. I'm starting to see why people have car alarms. The thief used the cards to rack up around $1000 in purchases, before the banks could get the cards cancelled. This will probably have repercussions for years, with financial/credit institutions. My identity was used to make a gang of purchases. The thing I miss most is the day planner. All of my upcoming gigs, phone numbers of people I really need to call, etc. Be careful, friends. If the thief had struck 10 minutes earlier, he'd have gotten my guitar and pedals too. I don't even want to think about it. Please don't let anything happen to your stuff. :(

In high school a friend of mine's Gibson Humingbird was ripped off out of his case from under his bed. I've had a couple of guitars stolen as well, one I lent out(big mistake) and one that was at my place(felt so violated!). Thing is, why don't people steal synths? They left my synths alone. Too many midi and audio cables to think about undoing I guess, and then there's the power chord to deal with.
You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Archived