Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another theory question.

Gruupi

I imagine this will end up being another modal discussion but still haven't made the leap from tonalities to naming them. I was playing the notes of the A major scale (I think the same notes as E dom7 scale) over an E major chord and E drone, and it sounded realy cool. If this is a mode, what is it? It certainly didn't sound like I was playing an E7th tonality or in A major, when I played an E7 chord or A bass drone the whole sound changed. I can't wait to hear the theory guru's set me straight on this, I don't know why it isn't obvious to me what going on with this sound.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys, I knew you would came through. I only messed around with the sound for a few minutes till I realized I wanted to know in theory what I was playing. Putting a name to these sounds will help me remember them in the future.

Gruupi--

Check the theory thread, first post.

Try these over an E drone:

jam w/the notes from the D Major scale--you'll get the Dorian mode

notes from the C major scale over E drone--E Phrygian

notes from the B Major scale over E drone--E Lydian

A major over E drone--Mixolydian

G Major over E drone--Aeolian (E natural minor)

F Major over E drone--the rarely used Locrian mode

Try the Phrygian mode w/ both major and minor chords. E Phrygian over E major will give you a Middle-Eastern/Andalusian (flamencoish)/arabic/Jewish-type thing

Many blues, funk and rock riffs are built on the Mixol. mode... for example, Day Tripper by the Beatles. Many celtic tunes, as well as old church songs are built on Dorian, and Mixolydian modes.

Have fun! :thu:

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Archived