Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

broken bridge post

Bytored

I was replacing a bent and stipped (threads) bridge post and it broke off just about level with the guitar body and now I cant get it out. The damn thing wasn't un-screwing when I was trying to turn it. :freak::eek: How the hell am I gonna get this thing out short of drillling the stud out with a smaller drill and then hoping I will be able to have good threads to install the new post?? any suggestions?

Ron

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. take it to a luither?

2. you can try to drill out the centre of the stud and with a reverse tap, take it out.

3. drill it out almost the same thickness and hopefully the metal is weak enough you can fold it in and have it fall out

4. Wait for more knowledge to login and give better ideas =)

What kind of guitar and bridge? Is this post threaded into wood or metal?

I'm assuming (for the moment) that it's threaded into metal. If that's the case, then I would suggest using a drill and an EZ-Out. If the threads are seized, then you will need to soak it with some penetrating oil first.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Is this post threaded into wood or metal?

The post is threaded into metal. Its a Gibson, tunmatic bridge. Already soaking in penetrating oil for a few hours now.

Is this a Gibson Les Paul-style post, threaded into the body? Is that what you mean?

If not, exactly what is it? What is the diameter of this threaded-post? Is it screwed directly into the wood, or into a threaded insert or bushing? Post a pic, if you can.

Overall, I'm inclined to think that you'll need to take it to an experienced luthier/repairer, it will likely require a good drill-press or even a vertical-mill that the body can be securely clamped-down on, so that any drill-bit, tap, or easy-out tool used will not drift or chatter on you and cause serious damage.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

its a Gibson Les Paul Style post screwed into a metal bushing. off hand not sure what dia. post is, don't have calipers here to measure it.

I am pretty sure I can take it to work and set it up on a mill, dial it it and drill it then use an ez out without damaging it. If I have any doubts as to weather I can do it without damaging the guitar I WILL take it to a Luthier.

Originally posted by stamplicker:

1. take it to a luither?

2. you can try to drill out the centre of the stud and with a reverse tap, take it out.

3. drill it out almost the same thickness and hopefully the metal is weak enough you can fold it in and have it fall out

4. Wait for more knowledge to login and give better ideas =)

Excellent idea. I'd pursue the reverse tap... sounds logical.

I would suggest using an easy-out as Ellwood suggested or possibly cut a slot with a dremmel cut-off wheel to alow you to turn it out with a large slot screwdriver, but it sounds like you are saying it's cross-threaded or bound in there. If you damage the top of the stud where it sheared off, it will only increase the difficulty of removing it.

Try center punching the stud, then drill and reverse tap. Then insert a bolt in there and see if it starts to back out once it's snug. Don't try too hard though. If it won't come out you can sequencially drill the center hole in the stud out until you get to the threads on the insert. This is tricky because the major diameter that you can drill out to is going to depend on how close to center your original hole was. You shouldn't worry too much about damaging the insert because you'll likely need to replace it, but try and salvage the threads of the insert to make revoval easier.

Maybe keep drilling the center out until you HAVE removed the treads on the insert. Then center tap it and use the new threads to assist in removing the insert.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I didn't see that you have access to a mill.

Bore out the the busings until the stud and bushing threads are cleaned out. Then re-tap the bushing and pull it out.

Hmmn, if that's a pressed-in bushing, it might work best to remove the bushing by pulling, and then get the broken post out of it, or replace the bushing with a new one. -IF- you can get a hold of it or get under it's flange/lip/thing-a-ma-jiggy (if it's got something like that) without damaging the top of the guitar.

Maybe, as ellwood suggests, you can back the post out of the bushing with an easy-out, just be careful.

If the bushing's threaded into the wood, maybe you can back that out? (Most likely, it's a press-in affair, though.)

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hmmn, if that's a pressed-in bushing, it might work best to remove the bushing by pulling, and then get the broken post out of it, or replace the bushing with a new one. -IF- you can get a hold of it or get under it's flange/lip/thing-a-ma-jiggy (if it's got something like that) without damaging the top of the guitar.

Maybe, as ellwood suggests, you can back the post out of the bushing with an easy-out, just be careful.

If the bushing's threaded into the wood, maybe you can back that out? (Most likely, it's a press-in affair, though.)

I scence impending damage!

Pull bushing out of guitar body.

Throw it away.

Purchase a new bushing and post.($15-$20?)

Reinsert.

Be happy a long time.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah, that's (what Picker said) generally pretty standard procedure with these bushing affairs, unless you can manage to back the post out of it. I'm also inclined to think that replacement of both the bushing and post is the best bet.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

I would take a Dremel and cut a slot in the broken piece. Then use a flathead screwdriver to back it out.

Or do what picker said if that don't work.

It sounds like doing what Picker suggested isn't a possibility with the stud broken off flush to the surface of the guitar top. Also, cutting a slot like I had mentioned will likley NOT work if the toruge required to get the stud free is higher than the torque required to shear the stud off, which it obviously is. Know what I mean?

What picker suggeted is a good option IF I can't get the stud to turn freely or screw uo while drill it out. One of the guys I work with is a great manual machinist and I am sure he can get it done.

I will let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks for the reply's and good suggestions.

What picker suggeted is a good option IF I can't get the stud to turn freely or screw uo while drill it out. One of the guys I work with is a great manual machinist and I am sure he can get it done.

I will let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks for the reply's and good suggestions.

Got it out.

Made a piece to fit over the stud bushing with a .028 thou deep counterbore leavin about .01 thousandth's between top of guitar and the piece on bushing. :cool: This piece had a 2mm (.072 about) drilled dead nuts in the center. Then took a Dewalt drill with a 2mm drill in it and started slowly drilling until I was deep enough to lightly hammer a allen wrench into the hole, kind of like broaching the hole. That sort of worked but still wouldn't turn very well so I again drilled the remainder of the way through an then the drill broke :eek: I thought holy :freak: now I am never going to get this out.

Then I took an EZ out and lightly hammered in in untill I could back out the stud. Of course the stud kept breakin and so I just kept using the ez out untill I completly backed all of it out :D

Soooo thanks again for your suggestions, Now I can play again. :cool:

Archived