Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SEMI OT: NEW DVD

Sleaze_Disease

Went to the local music store the other day, and while browsing the dvds, I came across a copy of Death: Live in LA. For those of you who don't know, Death is an early death metal band formed in '83, and is well known in the legendary Florida death metal scene, along with the likes of Possessed and Morbid Angel.

Anyway, this dvd is a must-see!! Singer/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner's playing is unbelievable. With a rather unorthadox technique, a very tasteful vibrato, and using a metal/jazz/classical fusion, he's definately a force to be reckoned with.

Basically, the whole band unleashes sonic fury--pummeling drums, groove heavy bass, intricate lead guitar work, and riffs for days. A must see for fans of the genre or just to witness some killer guitar work and musicianship.

Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that I've heard much jazz coming out Schuldiner's rig, but yeah, I like Death quite a bit... or used to, anyway. ;)

When was this DVD recorded?

For those who don't know, Death's dude is dead. Schuldiner died of a cancer tumor a few years ago. I know it seems like I'm being a jackass but I was terribly saddened by these news. I think he was a genuinely passionate musician. He made "music" out of Death Metal!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Well, he incorporated jazz elements and phrasing in his solos. I'm not sure when it was recorded to tell you the truth. But yeah, it's really depressing that he had to go, the guy was an extremely talented musician and songwriter.
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

Archived