Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

string bending question

superdave

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...makes sence if you significantly raising the pitch.

I hate to admit that my guitar is flawed, but sometimes I have a habit of bending the high 'E' string down. My neck binding butts right up with the fret ends and in one spot there is a gap in the binding that allows the string to slip in and get stuck. It really sucks having to pick it out while playing. If I did what you stated above, I wouldn't have to deal with it.

(Or I could do the right thing and have my guitar repaired.)

What a horrible night to have a curse.

For me, it depends upon what I'm doing. The 1st and 2nd string I always push upward. The 5th and 6th, I always pull downward. The 3rd and 4th, it sort of depends on what direction is more appropriate to be in position for the next thing I need to do and what is most convenient to grab from the last thing I did...economy of movement.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

It really dosent matter man. Its akk a matter of personal preference, And how much you want that string bent. For example, When i go to wail on the G string, Ill bend up. But when i want a vibrto kinda thing, ill flail it down. With the High E, Yeah, UP allways. Its what you think your fingers can handle, And what your most used to. I mean hell, Look at ricardos Avatar, That go is bending his strings down instead of up. Its justa natural " Groove " Kinda thing you got to get down for yourself.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

If I'm going 1 and a half steps on the bend, it's always upward unless it's the 5ht or 6th string. However, if I'm only going a half step or step, I've found pulling down to be easier physically, and, quicker to recover from, except for the 1st string. I started experimenting with this method of bending after seeing the movie Road House. The blind guy, whose name escapes me right now (see the "Are you a pothead?" thread elsewhere on this forum for the reason why), does reverse bends constantly because he's playing with the guitar laying flat in his lap, and his hand over the top of the fretboard instead of wrapped behind it. That style of playing lends him no leverage to push, however, he can pull easily by placing his thumb at the apex of the neck & fretboard above the 6th string, and pull like mad. It's awkward for a while, but once you get use to it, I believe it's a more efficient method of pushing (or in this case, pulling) the strings around.

This is in relation of course to single string bends, only. Harmonic 2 string bends can be done one way, and one way only. If I'm wrong, somebody please educate me. But stationary/push is used quite often in aloooooottttttt of various licks, whereas I've never seen stationary/pull done for a harmonic bend. I believe what we're actually discussing here is also known as "Hammering on", and "Pulling down"...Yes?

Kerry

Well...unless we're blind and we play a Strat laying across our lap...we don't really need to look at how Jeff Healy plays. He is a unique individual (great player, though). However...I think that if you hold the guitar the way most players do, the positions your hand would have to be in to get some of the bend effects he gets would have you waaaay out of position.

Let's think about this logically. First, if you bend the 1st or 2nd string past a step or two, you are going to pull it off the edge of the fretboard. Same with the 5th and 6th bstrings. That's just not going to impress the audience a lot...it sounds horrible and looks stupid.

Why would you want to have to THINK about "OK...I'm only bending a half-step on the B string...I can probably get away with pulling down on it." If you ALWAYS bend those strings upward, you'll ALWAYS be OK. Plus...just try a unison bend on the B and E strings while pulling the B string downward...it ain't gonna be very cool. PLUS......you have a lot more leverage at your disposal pushing the 1st and 2nd strings upward and pulling the 5th and 6th downward because of wrist angle and it's easier to get other fingers into play to assist.

The less you have to think about, the better off you are and the more fluent you can be. If you have to make a decision every time you bend a string and decide which way you want to push or pull it, it's going to have a negative impact on you fluidity. The only one that I vary is the G string....and MOST of the time, I push it up (because a lot of the time when I'm bending the G string, it's a unison bend.) Sometimes, it's more natural to pull it down because of position.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Well...unless we're blind and we play a Strat laying across our lap...we don't really need to look at how Jeff Healy plays. He is a unique individual (great player, though). However...I think that if you hold the guitar the way most players do, the positions your hand would have to be in to get some of the bend effects he gets would have you waaaay out of position.

Couple of things here since you chose to express your misinterpretation's about my post, openly. First, you're not qualified to advise me on whom I should choose to look at in terms of playing styles, regardless of your education or background. Secondly, I made no reference to suggest that anyone should, or would need to change from traditional hand positions to achieve pull downs.

Let's think about this logically. First, if you bend the 1st or 2nd string past a step or two, you are going to pull it off the edge of the fretboard. Same with the 5th and 6th bstrings. That's just not going to impress the audience a lot...it sounds horrible and looks stupid.

Again, you're not qualified to advise me as to the logic or lack thereof in my playing style, or anyone elses for that matter. As artists, our ability to create and expand on traditional styles is part of the appeal that comes with freedom of expression. That being said, if you re-read my original post on this subject, you'll see that I clarified string pulldown exceptions. I made no mention of pulling down on the 1st string, or bending the 2nd string past a half or whole step. Granted I rarely pull the 2nd string past a half step or the point of vibrato. In my own defense of your last statement, my playing has never been classified as sounding horrible, or looking stupid. I am a professional, and I play with that in mind when I perform publicly, of which I have accrued thousands of hours of stage time, with little or no complaints.

Why would you want to have to THINK about "OK...I'm only bending a half-step on the B string...I can probably get away with pulling down on it." If you ALWAYS bend those strings upward, you'll ALWAYS be OK. Plus...just try a unison bend on the B and E strings while pulling the B string downward...it ain't gonna be very cool. PLUS......you have a lot more leverage at your disposal pushing the 1st and 2nd strings upward and pulling the 5th and 6th downward because of wrist angle and it's easier to get other fingers into play to assist.

The less you have to think about, the better off you are and the more fluent you can be. If you have to make a decision every time you bend a string and decide which way you want to push or pull it, it's going to have a negative impact on you fluidity. The only one that I vary is the G string....and MOST of the time, I push it up (because a lot of the time when I'm bending the G string, it's a unison bend.) Sometimes, it's more natural to pull it down because of position.

Regarding the rest of your over-analytical post, you purely missed the point of what I was stating. It's only a description of what works for me, and that's all. I also clarified that it doesn't work for harmonic bends, which I presume you are referencing to be unison bends. To-ma-toe/To-mo-toe, it's obvious you didn't read through.

I'm not indifferent to being corrected when I misquote or misrepresent information, nor am I opposed to constructive criticism. Accordingly, I won't be misquoted or misrepresented, or falsly criticized, either, as you have attempted to do here.

Kerry

Originally posted by Hairfarmer:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Couple of things here since you chose to express your misinterpretation's about my post, openly. First, you're not qualified to advise me on whom I should choose to look at in terms of playing styles, regardless of your education or background. Secondly, I made no reference to suggest that anyone should, or would need to change from traditional hand positions to achieve pull downs.

Again, you're not qualified to advise me as to the logic or lack thereof in my playing style, or anyone elses for that matter. As artists, our ability to create and expand on traditional styles is part of the appeal that comes with freedom of expression. That being said, if you re-read my original post on this subject, you'll see that I clarified string pulldown exceptions. I made no mention of pulling down on the 1st string, or bending the 2nd string past a half or whole step. Granted I rarely pull the 2nd string past a half step or the point of vibrato. In my own defense of your last statement, my playing has never been classified as sounding horrible, or looking stupid. I am a professional, and I play with that in mind when I perform publicly, of which I have accrued thousands of hours of stage time, with little or no complaints.

Regarding the rest of your over-analytical post, you purely missed the point of what I was stating. It's only a description of what works for me, and that's all. I also clarified that it doesn't work for harmonic bends, which I presume you are referencing to be unison bends. To-ma-toe/To-mo-toe, it's obvious you didn't read through.

I'm not indifferent to being corrected when I misquote or misrepresent information, nor am I opposed to constructive criticism. Accordingly, I won't be misquoted or misrepresented, or falsly criticized, either, as you have attempted to do here.

Sooo???

I fail to see where you were misquoted, misrepresented or falsely criticized. I simply quoted your post, pointed out that Jeff Healy's techniques don't really apply for "normal" guitar playing and went on to explain my thoughts on the subject. I never said anything at all about you. If you don't like being wrong, then don't be wrong....or if you are, don't post it in a public forum where it's open to scrutiny.

Hey..if I'm wrong in what I posted on the subject, point it out to me. I'm big enough to either say "Yep...you're right." or "Nope, you're full of shit." "Or...yep...that could work, too." or.."I don't see how that applies.." or whatever. And, I'm big enough to take it when someone points out the same thing to me (without crying like a little girl about it).

Soo....if I hurt your little feelings...sorry. Not my intent.

Note: Your quotes/posts would be much easier to read if you'd get all of your tags in the right places.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Depends on what you're going for, I think,

If you just want to bend a single string, either way is fine.

However, if you're playing in conjunction with other strings, it's a matter of logistics.

For example, my index finger is on the B string,

5th fret (E note), my third finger is on the G

string, 7th fret (D note) . I want to bend the G string from D to E and play the B and G strings

together, I'm bending the G UPWARDS while leaving

the index finger stationary on the B string, fret

5. Not sure what this technique is called, but

it was used by Jimmy Page quite a bit (last riffs in "Stairway to Heaven" and the opening

riff to the solo in "The Ocean" are examples).

However, if I want to play a note on the B or E

strings after bending on the G, I'll bend downwards (Beginning riff of Funk #49 by the James Gang is an example).

The Song Remains The Same

Archived