Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

muting techniques when playing slide-lead

bluenote420

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of slide players don't use picks and mute the unplayed strings with the fingers they are using to pick. And you can use the heel of your hand to choke all the strings off if you need to.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Related question: Do you think a fretless guitar would be good for a dedicated slide guitar? I was reading another post that had a fretless guitar site linked to it. They point out that the "fretless community" is not for playing slide. Hmmmm... OK. I hate to be negitive, but after listening to the music samples, I don't think the fretless guitars are being put to their best use.

I can't imagine ripping the frets out of a good guitar. But, maybe, if a person was learning how to build a guitar and left the frets out...

I own two CNCs (computerized routers) and the thought of finally designing and building my own guitar is starting to swirl around my head. I figure the first one would be full of mistakes, so maybe we make lemonaid out of that lemon.

Any opinions?

Brian

...getting back into playing after a 15 year "break".

Originally posted by Windhover:

Related question: Do you think a fretless guitar would be good for a dedicated slide guitar? .....Any opinions?

On a slide guitar, actual metal frets are useless. They are just guidelines for helping attain proper intonation. That being said, a fretless guitar with lines to indicate fret positions would be fine. A neck with no indication of fret position would probably be more difficult to play since you would have to rely solely on your ear and not a combination of visual cues from the frets plus your ear.

Originally posted by A String:

Yes, I always put the slide on my ring finger and then let my index and middle fingers touch the strings behind the slide. This really cuts down on the excess noise. As for the strings in front, work with your pressure and string/picking accuracy.

EXACTLY, that is the way I was taught.

Archived