Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What chord do/did you have the most trouble with?

superdave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That A11 -- that's what I would call an impractical voicing. Not only is it extremely difficult to finger, it sounds bad... too many close intervals down low...

Now if you take the top four notes and play an open A, and just leave the sixth string alone, it sounds great and it's hecka easy to finger... and it's not so bad in moveable form either with the first finger on the root, and the third and fourth fingers on the top four strings. Better yet, leave out the root too, let the bass player play it, and you have a very easy chord shape.

Originally posted by superdave:

The A chord is killing my "other" short finger at the moment. Also even with small hands I find it it hard to cram three fingers in the space needed to make that chord. I don't know how some guitar players with big hands make some of the harder chords.

At the second fret? I usually just bar it and mute the high e, much less of a pain in the hand.

Originally posted by Squ:

The A chord is killing my "other" short finger at the moment. Also even with small hands I find it it hard to cram three fingers in the space needed to make that chord. I don't know how some guitar players with big hands make some of the harder chords.

At the second fret? I usually just bar it and mute the high e, much less of a pain in the hand.
I thought that was how it was played.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

I have trouble with my blue chord all my other chords work pretty well.

Even that dark green one with the yellow spots?
That's not a chord, that's my snake Monty (he's a python). How'd he get out? hehe
Maybe he's looking for Boa Derek.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

quote:

That's not a chord, that's my snake Monty (he's a python). How'd he get out? hehe

Prolly a mouse or a rat! Think about it!

He scares the crap outa the cats nad the dog. I can allway tell when he is out cause the four legs will not eat when he gets out.

Originally posted by AlChuck:

That A11 -- that's what I would call an impractical voicing. Not only is it extremely difficult to finger, it sounds bad... too many close intervals down low...

Now if you take the top four notes and play an open A, and just leave the sixth string alone, it sounds great and it's hecka easy to finger... and it's not so bad in moveable form either with the first finger on the root, and the third and fourth fingers on the top four strings. Better yet, leave out the root too, let the bass player play it, and you have a very easy chord shape.

Yes, I had to use both hands to fret that. The solution you offer is much, much better. It is correct in the theory sense too.

Hmm...well, F never really gave me too much trouble much after 3 weeks of playing guitar. I think I was so used to the key from trumpet/piano that it sounded right enough to want to play.

Now that I go back and reexamine my chords, I remember now. :D It was that stupid Amaj inversion to an Dsus2 in Metallica's "Hero of the Day." They seemed to love it for some reason, and I had a really weak pinky back then. Can you believe I used to play the entire "Fade to Black" solo without using my pinky? I had to go back and reteach myself fingerings to get my pinky in shape.

Anyway, it's fingered like this:

E|------------------

B|------------------

G|------2-------2---

D|----2-------2-----

A|--4-------5-------

E|------------------

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by A String:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

quote:
Originally posted by A String:

...Hey, maybe it's for the best. Otherwise you may have never learned to play an "F" chord. :D

You think so? :mad: Well F - yo... (Scuffling sounds as minions of the moderator tackle and subdue fantasticsound and give him the heave-ho! :evil:
Uh... the phone company has many more minions than any moderator.. and they've been trained to deny all requests with unparalleled indifference to the requisitor. :freak:

But we digress... :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

quote:

quote:

He scares the crap outa the cats nad the dog. I can allway tell when he is out cause the four legs will not eat when he gets out.

Hmmm...does he get out a lot? Have you looked at the Boaphile cages?

What is he? Retic? Burmese? African Rock Python? one of the Australians?

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmmm...does he get out a lot? Have you looked at the Boaphile cages?

What is he? Retic? Burmese? African Rock Python? one of the Australians?

Monty python. hehe Ball python. No he has only gotten out a couple of times when the cat sat on top of the screen and broke it. The cat learned!

I agree with ALCHUCK on that A11 chord. I'd see no reason to play it unless you're a soloist and its required in the piece. I'm gonna assume (maybe wrongly) that most guitarist here play in bands or some kind of ensemble. Full bar chords like an F is just not necessary if you have a bassist. Unless you're doing punk or such. If you have a bass, and you're looking for some finesse and clear articulate sound, stick to simple triads, with whatever inversions, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths,etc., are necessary for color.

Some of the more difficult chords for me are the ones with semitones, like the following major A Major 7th. in ascending order c# G# A E.

I hoping I'm not stepping on toes here. I'm a newbie here, but I just want to emphasize that in

practical application with a band, its very rare for me to actually play a FULL bar chord.

cheers

I play the open A with my two middle fingers spanning the 3 fretted notes and have no problem. I have a hard time with Bflat in the position 13331...and also the B and the C...

Ditto on the B7. I played in a church choir for many years and always had problems with B7. I think thats a pretty common hurdle as the other guitarists in the choir all struggled with it. It does take a bit of finger independance since you cross over the first finger and the pinky is all the way down on the little "E" string.

In retrospective, I wish all chords were as easy as B7 though, some classical guitar music chords are downright diabolical to switch between. And I hear Allan Holdsworth chords take an alien to play them.

my guitar teacher plays the A chord with just 2 fingers and doesnt flatten any out... his fingers are big enough so he can pull it off.. I tried it but it always felt like the strings were rolling around.. but I could play it that way... F was a pain but I worked around it with different chord shapes...
Eat a Peach for Peace..........

By far, the hardest I've encountered is H with an exaggerated octave, a depressed 13th and a malformed 21st, especially in the 7-and-a-half inversion. It's always easier when the 13th is over-confident and the 17th is over-inflated. Gotta hate those flat 17ths.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by guitarzan:

i would like to welcome duff beer to the forum.

I prefer Fudd beer. The best! Springfieldians don't know what they're missing!

Now seriously: welcome, Duff Beer! Beer is always welcome (except maybe Coors Light).

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

F used to be a problem, until I learned that one passage in "Little Wing" where you slide the F shape chord through positions 5-7-5-3 while using your pinky and thumb to add the extra F and G (3rd position notes). After that, a plain ol' F seemed rather easy.

Thanks for the welcome folks!! I am new here and somewhat new on guitar as well...I played bass in a basement band for 20+ years and am considering making the switch to guitar (in the same band :eek: ), so you may be seeing some questions from me because I need to get better real fast!!

By the way, isn't this also an A11?

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3585/a11qm5.jpg' alt='a11qm5.jpg'>

E - 0 Moving to 0

B - 0 0

G - 9 4

D - 9 4

A - 7 6

E - 0 X

The first part is easy. The second part its easy to numb the B.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived