Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Phil or Steve or Monty?

Bbach1

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bbach when I'm ready:

No golf fans here? That figures. Buncha worthless musicians. :D

Love golf and follow it closely. I have an uncle who plays on the European Senior PGA Tour.

Right now I'd love to see David Duval make a comeback. That's a great story. Who'da thought Tiger would miss the cut and Duval would be near the top of the leaderboard? You could've made a lot of money in Vegas on that bet!

No golf fans here? That figures. Buncha worthless musicians. :D

Golf fan here! 3/4 of our band golfs! :D

In fact, the drummer missed a final rehearsal once before a gig and shot a 68 to win a tourny! :rolleyes:

Phil will be in the final pairing on sunday, so I can't vote against him! :thu:

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Monty, of course :D , and anyway, he deserves a Major.

Geoff

You are quite right Geoff. Monty deseves a Major. For some reason he cannot get over the hump here in America and I suspect this open will not be any different. He's in the hunt tho. Hope he makes a run tomorrow.

You gotta like Mickelson in this one. Final group in a Major on Sunday.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Monty, of course :D , and anyway, he deserves a Major.

Geoff

You are quite right Geoff. Monty deseves a Major. For some reason he cannot get over the hump here in America and I suspect this open will not be any different. He's in the hunt tho. Hope he makes a run tomorrow.

You gotta like Mickelson in this one. Final group in a Major on Sunday.

Not quite sure that Monty deserves a major. He's never contended in one, always seems to choke, and the less civil American crowds seem to get to him pretty easily. The crowds won't be like those in Phoenix, but my money's on another major choke from Monty today. Has anyone noticed that his scoring average this year is 73+ and he hasn't won a dime on the PGA Tour this year with 3 missed cuts?

Phil?? well, his recent past has been great, but overall his history shows he's certainly not a lock to come up big on Sunday. Me, I'll go out on a limb with Kenneth Ferrie or Jeff Ogilvy. Ferrie is an unknown (he's won on the European Tour) but seems like a happy-go-lucky kinda guy that won't be overly bothered by playing with Phil on a Sunday. But then again, that's what everyone said about Jason Gore last year and he imploded on Sunday falling from atop the leaderboard to like 54th place or something like that. Ferrie has been very steady and Ogilvy is playing very well this year. I'll take Ogilvy...

Originally posted by Warthog:

Not quite sure that Monty deserves a major. He's never contended in one, always seems to choke, and the less civil American crowds seem to get to him pretty easily. The crowds won't be like those in Phoenix, but my money's on another major choke from Monty today. Has anyone noticed that his scoring average this year is 73+ and he hasn't won a dime on the PGA Tour this year with 3 missed cuts?

Phil?? well, his recent past has been great, but overall his history shows he's certainly not a lock to come up big on Sunday. Me, I'll go out on a limb with Kenneth Ferrie or Jeff Ogilvy. Ferrie is an unknown (he's won on the European Tour) but seems like a happy-go-lucky kinda guy that won't be overly bothered by playing with Phil on a Sunday. But then again, that's what everyone said about Jason Gore last year and he imploded on Sunday falling from atop the leaderboard to like 54th place or something like that. Ferrie has been very steady and Ogilvy is playing very well this year. I'll take Ogilvy...

Monte has simply been a fantastic European player and Rider cup guru for years and years. I think he gets a bad rap and very unwarranted. He comes across as egotistical and the American crowds have not cut him any slack for sure.

He may be getting to the end of his great run. I'd like to see him pull a major off. Maybe I'm just a sap for the old guys.

As for Phil, I think his history is just the opposite. He has been a contender in the majors throughout his career. The expectations of him were that he would dominate the majors and he did not pull off any wins for a while. If you've watched him in Majors the last three years, you can clearly see he is going to be tough to beat today. The thing about Phil is he believes in himself now.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrie and Ogilvy can hold up under the pressure of Sunday at the open. They will have to show me. I don't see it happening.

I think the dark horse is Vijay Singh. He's quietly moved into contention. If the leaders falter, he'll be there.

bbach

Monte has simply been a fantastic European player and Rider cup guru for years and years. I think he gets a bad rap and very unwarranted. He comes across as egotistical and the American crowds have not cut him any slack for sure.

He may be getting to the end of his great run. I'd like to see him pull a major off. Maybe I'm just a sap for the old guys.

As for Phil, I think his history is just the opposite. He has been a contender in the majors throughout his career. The expectations of him were that he would dominate the majors and he did not pull off any wins for a while. If you've watched him in Majors the last three years, you can clearly see he is going to be tough to beat today. The thing about Phil is he believes in himself now.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrie and Ogilvy can hold up under the pressure of Sunday at the open. They will have to show me. I don't see it happening.

I think the dark horse is Vijay Singh. He's quietly moved into contention. If the leaders falter, he'll be there.

I'll grant you seeing Ferrie not holding up. But Ogily is 5th on the money list and don't forget he won the World Matchplay in February, arguably the most grueling tourney of the year. He'll hold-up. I like Phil, but for years he was Mr. Choke on Sunday. Yes, he contended a lot, but he could never pull it off til last year.

I have to admit I don't like Monty. Not sure why other than that he whines a lot and he's a snob. I hope he doesn't win a major...ever.

I was right...Ogilvy wins after Phil returns to old self and has worst collapse in Open history...

What a Phenomenal ending! Ogilvy holes out a par chip on 17 to cling to a chance and both Monte and Phil double 18. Ooof. I don't feel bad for Phil as he has some majors under his belt, but I sure do wish Colin Montgomery would have hung on. He was all set up for a win, sitting in the fairway on 18 and only needed to hit the green and two put. That's gotta hurt. He may never have another chance.

bbach

Your right Monty has choked again, its sad for him as he has been an outstanding player for 15 years and gone close in 3 US opens (i think) but never quite had the bottle to close them out.

I feel for my countryman but it was his last chance.

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Archived