Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT : International Recipe Thread

Bluesape

Since we've got people from everywhere on here, it was suggested (by Rod of God :D ) that we try a sticky thread for recipes. BBQ season is upon us, so bring 'em on! :wave::wave:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...I'll start.

This is a good summertime recipe...goes great as a side dish for barbecue.

Cajun Shrimp Salad

I dont normally use recipes to cook by, so Im not going to be the worlds best at writing them either. Ill try to refrain from Cajun colloquialisms in this recipe. This is a 6 beer recipe.

This is really two recipes, so Ill write it as such. The first recipe is for Cajun boiled shrimp. It is a stand-alone recipe if you ever just want boiled shrimp to eatgreat finger-food for parties, served cold. If you prepare the shrimp this way, cocktail sauce is not needed.

Boiled Shrimp

This recipe is for 2 to 4 lbs boiled shrimp.

2 to 4 lbs shrimp (22 to 36 size shrimp are best. Really large shrimp tend to be mealy and small shrimp are difficult to peel and eat and tend to overcook quickly)

1 lemon

3 bags Zatarains Crab and Shrimp boil

1 large onion

6 large cloves garlic

¼ cup salt

6 12 oz cans or bottles of Beer (whatever brand you like to drink)

½ tsp cayenne pepper

1 ½ to 2 gallons water in large pot

Slice the lemon in half, squeeze the juice into the water and add the halves of lemon. Slice the onion in half and add to the pot. Add all remaining ingredients except beer. Bring all ingredients except beer to a rolling boil. After water is boiling, pour in 1 bottle or can of beer. Return to rolling boil. Open one of the remaining bottles of beer and drink it. Add shrimp to boiling water and return to boil. IMPORTANT!!! Allow shrimp to boil for two minutes ONLY!! Start timing from when the water first starts to boil again. Turn off heat immediately after 2 minutes. Allow shrimp to soak in the water for about 5 minutes, then drain. Open another bottle of beer and drink it. Remove lemon, onions and spice bags from the shrimp and allow them to cool (discard the stuff you removed).

By the way, you can also add corn on the cob and new red potatoes in the very beginning, then allow them to cook with the shrimp.its pretty damn good.

Cajun Shrimp Salad

1 lb box elbow macaroni

2 hard-boiled eggs, diced

1 small yellow onion, diced

5 scallions (green onions) chopped

2 lbs boiled shrimp peeled and cut into fairly large pieces (I usually cut each shrimp into 2 or 3 pieces)

1 tsp yellow prepared mustard

¾ cup mayonnaise

½ tsp Tabasco sauce

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

½ tsp black pepper

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp vinegar

3 cloves minced garlic

½ cup sweet pickle relish

2 tbsp dill pickle relish

Cook macaroni according to directions on box. Drain and rinse with cold water, then drain thoroughly. Add next 4 ingredients to the cooled and drained macaroni in a large bowl and toss thoroughly. Open another beer and drink it.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, and then pour it over the macaroni mixture. Toss until completely mixed. Allow to cool in refrigerator in a sealed container for 3 hours. Drink the last beernow youre done!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Here's one that I posted previously...just moving it to the proper thread...

Mango-Apricot Sauce for grilled meats:

1 medium onion chopped (Vidalia sweet onions are best)

1 medium red bell pepper, chopped

1 medium green bell pepper, chopped

2 ripe mangoes (peel, remove seed and chop fruit)

4 cloves of garlic, crushed

juice and zest of 1 small lime (key lime is best)

1/2 stick of butter or 4 tbsp margarine

4 tbsp pineapple juice

3/4 cup apricot preserves

3 tbsp red (hot) Jalapeno jelly

3 tbsp black cherry preserves

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp rubbed sage

1/4 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp rosemary

1/4 tsp marjoram

Saute onion, bell peppers, mango, and garlic in butter until onions are transparent. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring constantly, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Serve over grilled pork loin, grilled fish, or grilled chicken.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Thanx Bluesape!

My very own EZ juicy hamburger recipe:

- 1 lb of your fav. burger beef

Mix into beef:

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of A1

- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Worstishire

- 1 pack of Lipton French Onion mix

- fresh chopped/saute'd Vidalia onion

Marinade in fridge overnight

Carefully (they will be well marinated) pound out the patties, add some swiss or bleu and enjoy!

Tips for steaks: add some bleu cheese and allow to melt onto steaks the last few minutes before you pull them from the grill.

More to come...

God Bless :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Foodgasm Wing or Rib Sauce

To your favorite BBQ sauce add:

Dijon mustard

Madras curry

chili powder

chopped jalapenos

chopped garlic

balsamic vinegar

Use hot ingredients sparingly, unless you're a spice monster like me. Applesauce can be added for sweetness or to cut back on the fire if you go overboard. :thu:

Here's another good summertime BBQ side dish....

Oriental Tomato and Cucumber Salad

6 to 10 tomatoes (depending on size) cut into small wedges (I use home grown tomatoes...if you don't grow your own, make sure they are vine-ripe, good quality tomatoes)

3 cucumbers, sliced

1 large yellow onion, sliced into (approx) 1/2" by 1 1/2" pieces. I like Vidalia onions for this.

Dressing:

3/4 cup white vinegar

3/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp Sesame oil

1 tsp salt

Cut tomatoes, cucumbers and onions and place in a large tupperware container. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over vegetables, stir gently to completely coat all vegetables with dressing. Allow to marinate (sealed in the container) in the refrigerator overnight.

I was first served this version of this salad in Beijing, China...the addition of the Sesame oil to this classic tomato-cucumber salad really adds something....

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Salmon fillets

well simple but absolutely lovely.

Take the salmon place it onto a piece of tin foil, add a generous lump of butter a couple of sprigs of rosemary and a dash of lemon juice, wrap it up throw on bbq, aprox 10 mins depends on heat of BBQ and thickness of fillet.

Lovely though enjoy.... :)

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Smoked Pork Loin

1 pork loin (whole, 4-5 lb)

3 cups Merlot

1 cup balsamic vinegar

3 large sprigs fresh tarragon

1/4 cup basil (dried or fresh)

20 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)

1/2 cup Kosher salt

3 tsp coarse ground black pepper

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine salt, pepper, garlic, and oil. Rub loin down with half this mixture. Refrigerate loin for 1 hour after rub. Combine remaining ingredients in a fireproof pan for smoking. Smoke loin at around 160 degrees F for 4 hours, with the wine/vinegar mixture underneath, turning about every half hour and brushing with oil/garlic mixture.

When it's done, the meat will have a very reddish exterior, which makes for a lively plate. If you're feeling adventurous, you can strain and reduce the wine/vinegar mixture in a saucepan and add a good shot of heavy cream and a generous helping of honey to make a very nice sauce - not that it needs it...

I'm a big fan of this Scottish dish:

1 cocktail glass

3 or 4 ice cubes

Single Malt Scotch (I prefer Laphroig). Substitute Bourbon if you wish.

Drop ice cubes into glass. Fill glass with two fingers of Scotch. Swish around.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I'm a big fan of this Scottish dish:

1 cocktail glass

3 or 4 ice cubes

Single Malt Scotch (I prefer Laphroig). Substitute Bourbon if you wish.

Drop ice cubes into glass. Fill glass with two fingers of Scotch. Swish around.

i cant disagree with the dish always served chilled. try dalwhinne not as peaty as Laphroig but a lovely "dish" all the same. :D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

OOOOPS!! WHOA! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/shocked.gif Now we're discussing alcohol! OMG! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/polarbearshy.jpg

What's the recipe for ice cubes? :D:D

This thread has a shelf life before it will be unfeatured, at which point it can still be posted to, but at the rate it's currently being hit, it will slide off the page quickly. :rolleyes:

Mediterranean Rice & Turkey (by me).

Recipe for 4

600gr. of Turkey meat cut in thin stripes (If you start with slices, put them one on the other and cut them together with a big knife)

2 Onions

a little garlic

1 Spoon honey melted in 1/2 glass wine vinegar

1 Spoon Sesame seeds

2 Spoons Pine seeds

2 Spoons Raisins

Spices: Cumin, Zaatar(Marjoram, Maggiorana), Cinnamon, Hot Chili, white or black pepper (little), dried ginger root powder (little), Coriander.

1 chopped Tomato (I like it peeled)

350gr. of Rice (i prefer parboiled, but every country has it's rices, any type will do)

Virgin Olive Oil (you decide how much, I put at least 5 Spoons)

2 spoonfuls of salt.

Using a 30cm pan with high borders gives the best results. Aluminium or teflon are better, S.Steel is ok but check often if it sticks....

Start cooking the turkey with small chopped onions and the olive oil on medium fire for2-3 minutes, until it seems all cooked in the external, then add everything else except the rice. Stir everything well with a wooden spoon, cover and let it go for 5 mins at reduced heat.

Now uncover and let it's water evaporate, until you can see the oil clearly.

Add the Rice and roast it a little, always stirring

Then add 2 glasses hot water, and let it go. Now it's up to you to check if your rice quality is faster or slower to cook, this will determine how much it will stay covered and later uncovered. The goal is to have the rice properly cooked, without it being in liquid but also not too dried.

Let it rest a bit, as it mustn't be served too hot.

Enjoy.

P.S. A great link for spices names and their translation in different languages:

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

From Guitars are like Shoes:

It was nothing fancy...

2 cups beer (I used Rickards Honey Brown)

2 - tbsp butter

4 - tbsp sugar

2 - tspsalt

5.5 cups flour (what ever you like and adjust your time and expectations accordingly)

2 tbsp dry yeast

Makes two 12-14inch deeps with good handles and a foundation that won't dump on yer lap

It's a pile of dough and if you prefer thin crust you could cut this in half.

I've got some funkier beers down stairs I should likely try. Thick dark beers ya can stand on.... which is why I leave them down there.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Kraft Dinner is not food! :D OOOPS! :rolleyes: Too political? :eek::wave:

Actually it's too religious when it comes to:

Kraft "Cheese-n-Rice " :P

:D

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

When you have some remained spaghetti with tomato sauce, from the day before it's better, they don't have to be too much dipped in sauce, but the opposite. They should be full lenght and not cut or smashed.

for each dish of these day-after spaghetti count 2 eggs.

Beat the eggs with a little salt and pepper.

Take a large pan and put some oil to get hot, then put the spaghetti in it and gently pour all the eggs over the spaghetti, trying to fill all the areas.

Turn the fire mid-low.

After a while you can also cover it just a little, to get the upper eggs firm, then when the bottom is well cooked and doesn't stick and the whole thing has a solidity and doesn't break, you should turn this pasta omelette upside down. you can do it with the cover if it's flat enough, you put a little oil on it so it won't stick and just let the turned omelette slide in the pan to roast a bit the other side.

When all it's cooked, you turn it again but you put it on a large dish. You grind some parmesan cheese over it and put some basil leaves in the middle.

Let it reach room temperature and serve.

This is a neapolitan traditional, known as "frittata di maccheroni", some great stuff comes out from recycling.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Yeah, I'm gonna try that one. Sounds great. I eat leftover spaghetti for breakfast sometimes....I eat eggs for breakfast sometimes. I don't know why I never put the two together!

The Turkey and Rice one sounds good, too. Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

Thanks, alfonso!

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Pappy's world famous Macaroni and Cheese. It's simple and my kids love it.

One cups of tri-colored rotini, 1/2 cup of small pasta shell, 1/2 of mini ziti. Big honking chuck of Velvetta (about 1 inch think square), on slice of american cheese. 1 tablespoon of butter. 1/8 cup of milk.

Boil pasta about 9 - 10 min. Drain. Dump in butter and cheese. Stir until melted. Add milk, sprinkle on good amount of paprika. Oh and stir some more.

yum

Alot of these recipes sound good but require about $400 of groceries :) A mate of mine is writing a peice of s/w wherein you put in the few ingredients you have left over in your cupboard and it tells ya what to make.

Any simple suggestions... i.e. no more than 3/4 major ingredients.

Carne Asada Tacos

This ain't Taco Bell either

(Tyler Florences recipe, but I've used it a lot, with a few additions that I'll note)

2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat

1 recipe Mojo, recipe follows

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

16 (7-inch) tortillas (He used Corn, but I prefer Flour if you can get them fesh)

Shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce, for serving

Chopped white onion, for serving

Shredded Jack cheese, for serving

1/2 cup Pico de Gallo, recipe follows

2 limes, cut in wedges for serving

Lay the flank steak in a large baking dish and pour the mojo over it. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours, so the flavors can sink into the meat. Don't marinate the steak for more than 8 hours though, or the fibers break down too much and the meat gets mushy.

Preheat an outdoor grill or a ridged grill pan over medium-high flame (you can also use a broiler). Brush the grates with a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. Pull the steak out of the mojo marinade and season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill (or broil) the steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, until medium-rare. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on a diagonal.

Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side in a dry skillet or on the grill, until toasty and pliable.

To make the tacos, stack up 2 of the warm tortillas, lay about 4 ounces of beef down the center, and sprinkle with some lettuce, onion, and cheese. Top each taco with a spoonful of the Pico de Gallo salsa and garnish with lime wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.

Mojo:

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 jalapeno, minced

1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 limes, juiced

1 orange, juiced

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1/2 cup olive oil

I add a good dose of Cumin for that smoky Southwest zing

In a mortar and pestle or bowl, mash together the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper to make a paste. Put the paste in a glass jar or plastic container. Add the lime juice, orange juice, vinegar, and oil. Shake it up really well to combine. Use as a marinade for chicken or beef or as a table condiment.

Yield: approximately 1 1/4 cups

Pico De Gallo:

4 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped

1/2 medium red onion, chopped

2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced

1 Serrano chile, minced

1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 lime, juiced

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon kosher salt

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together. Toss thoroughly. Let it sit for 15 minutes hour to allow the flavors to marry.

Besides, you gotta love a recipe that has MOJO in it!

Lynn G

Archived